Does anyone out here have real, direct insight into opinions of Shafer? | Syracusefan.com

Does anyone out here have real, direct insight into opinions of Shafer?

VirginiaOrange

2nd String
I get the view that SU should be looking both inside and outside for a potential HC. What I don't get are the posts that totally dismiss Shafer as being a bad choice - mainly because these posts offer no factual evidence to support why it is a bad move.

I assume that 90%+ of the posters out here have had zero interaction with Shafer. I am willing to bet that same percentage has little insight into inside opinions of Shafer's personality and abilities.

To those who have deeper contacts within the program - what are the thoughts on Shafer during his time at SU? Well liked? Respected? Not impressed?

And if you do not like the pick - what are the reasons Shafer is not the right guy? Again, I get the SU should take the time and talk to x, y and z. What I want to understand is why those who have true insight into Shafer and his time on the Hill think x, y and z are better/worse choices.

I believe it was CIL that had reservations in one of his posts, but did not divulge his reasons.

had interactions with Shafer through some old coaching contacts. Seen him do his thing on and off the field. Very very very happy we should be. See my other post on him.

This is big and good folks.
And if happy you are not, then root for another team, you should.
Yoda.jpg

Biggest concern is recruiting acumen?

My big concern too...although Marrone did not seem like a whiz in that regard...just curious how if affects NYC

I like the Shafer hire outside of me not knowing anything about him. I wouldn't have been upset with Hackett. That interview he(Hackett) did after the pinstripe bowl was great.

I think the better question is who calls defense? Do we go inside w Daoust or Morrison? Can Henderson call plays?

I think the better question is who calls defense? Do we go inside w Daoust or Morrison? Can Henderson call plays?

Is it at all possible to be defensive coordinator/ head coach? I realize that's a tremendous amount of responsibility.

Is it at all possible to be defensive coordinator/ head coach? I realize that's a tremendous amount of responsibility.
yes. But it is difficult

had interactions with Shafer through some old coaching contacts. Seen him do his thing on and off the field. Very very very happy we should be. See my other post on him.

I don't think Marrone had the passion for recruiting, I want to see HCSS hire a kicky mic recruiter for the ST position that just opened up and schedule three junior days to correspond with home hoops weekend games . Show me you get it sir. Won't take much.

Yes, but I doubt Shafer would do it. He commented this year about how it was beneficial for him to be able to focus on the entire defense and not be responsible for a position. I think he would feel the same way toward being a HC, and that his new DC should have the same opportunity to manage the big picture.

Which would mean we need to cover special teams and LB's with one new hire and a shuffling of duties.

I would hire him, 3 year deal. After 1 season re-evaluate and make a change then if he is awful. Too difficult to go outside and hire now I think.

Yes, but I doubt Shafer would do it. He commented this year about how it was beneficial for him to be able to focus on the entire defense and not be responsible for a position. I think he would feel the same way toward being a HC, and that his new DC should have the same opportunity to manage the big picture.

Which would mean we need to cover special teams and LB's with one new hire and a shuffling of duties.

Plus I think he preferred being up top in the booth. He can't be there as a HC unless he shatters his leg or has GI issues and needs to be close to the can.

Grob performed both jobs masterfully

I looked for your previous post, but it is likely buried somewhere. Could you copy and use it to start a new discussion?

RECRUITING RECRUITING RECRUITING...Obviously we beat to death that we aren't winning any recruits here with our facilities, nor expect elite home town kids (nyc) to stay here out of good will. We need an electric recruiter. Someone who walks into the room and demands a presence. Someone you want to say..."I want to go play for ..."

is that Shafer??

While i wouldn't be upset with the hire, I think Diaco is the way to go. This staff did a great job at identifying under the radar talent, but you have to expect some of the staff regardless of the hire will move on (Adkins, Henderson, Moore??) Plus was it DM the one ultimately identifying the talent? Shafer would be the safe choice, but I don't think we can afford safe. I would like to see Diaco get a hard look.

What I know about Scott Shafer...

He likes baby seals. When he saw the "wallpaper" on my iPhone (same picture as my avatar here), he asked me to send it to him.

That's a seal? I always thought it was a Matryoshka :D

I looked for your previous post, but it is likely buried somewhere. Could you copy and use it to start a new discussion?

Same here, Cuseregular. Been looking all over for the post you reference.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2