Does anyone think things are going in the right direction? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Does anyone think things are going in the right direction?

I completely disagree with your premise.

I saw a team that battled today. I saw a team that fought back from adversity and played hard.

We are heading in the right direction. No doubt about it.

Recruiting is the key to every program.
We also saw a team that committed 10 penalties for nearly 100 yards and commit 6 turnovers.

Do they even practice during the week? All I can see, is regression.

well according to Nolan -- Lyn screwed up in Pitt, so I do not know what goes on during the week (missed curfew?)

We also saw a team that committed 10 penalties for nearly 100 yards and commit 6 turnovers. Do they even practice during the week? All I can see, is regression.
I haven't seen the whole game yet, but I would expect a lot of boneheaded penalties from a team that is very young. Hay's penalties early are what they are. We'll be free of that poltergeist next year.

Sure, here goes.

The university decides that it has to get serious about football, meaning more $$$. With the anticipated ACC money soon to be arriving, they do two things:

1. Start football facility construction within a calendar year, borrowing now if need be.
2. Increase the budget for coaching salaries.

Marrone uses the extra $ to hire a few better coaches, emphasizing recruiting. And an OC with more experience. And a special teams guru.

But most important is #1. If they don't build something better, the best recruiters in the world aren't going to be able to sell this program and get the talent level where we want it to be.

Under a best-case scenario, still, I see about 6-6 next year. Then maybe 8-4 going forward, with a step up when the talent allows.

Borrow the Money?:bat: That's why the Country is in the shape it's in now.

So when does our lack of talent become Marrone's fault?

It seems we regressed and to make matters worse, Marrone seems to have lost the team. As I mentioned in a thread a month or so ago, I think recruiting is ultimately what does Marrone in.

Can anyone layout a plausible happy outcome of Marrone's tenure? Because to me, next year looks like more of the same.
Marrone has to figure out if he's a Head Coach or OC. I was one of his Biggest Fans when he came on Board but he's losing me. Has anyone on this Board seen a College Coach with the plays in front of his face with no emotion? Ryan Nassib Quote at a previous Press Conference " Michael Hay is a leader on our Team" You decide for yourselves.

I saw a team that battled today. I saw a team that fought back from adversity and played hard.

Yup. I'm with OPA on this one. That "lost the team" line is so overused. This team played hard. Not well. But hard. We caught some breaks last year and won some games. We missed some this year. Preseason, most here thought SU would take a slight step backward and go about .500. Which is pretty close to what happened.

HCDM is good for this program in so many ways. Winning more games will come.

Regardless of what 1-2 people said, GRob teams never quit either. So what does battling mean? Even Marrone admitted there were problems and players tearing the team apart. I've seen teams never win a game that still played hard.

So Fla, Rutgers, Pitt, WVU and Cincy all have more talent than we do.

Debatable on a couple and like I have said before, at the all important QB position 4 of those teams have horrendous QB's who are worse than Nassib. Provo is also a pretty darn good TE and Lemon at WR. If anyone wants to complain about our talent, start at the OL because that is where all of our issues start.

Debatable on a couple and like I have said before, at the all important QB position 4 of those teams have horrendous QB's who are worse than Nassib. Provo is also a pretty darn good TE and Lemon at WR. If anyone wants to complain about our talent, start at the OL because that is where all of our issues start.
You list all the teams that beat us that have better qb's than us according to you which doesnt help your case ricardo.

So when does our lack of talent become Marrone's fault?
Well, this is going to be an unpopular comment, but to some extent I think that our current talent level is outside the realm of any coach to change quickly. Given the state of the program and of our facilities, I don't see anyone hitting any home runs here right now. I think it is improving as quickly as can reasonably be expected. We've improved the athleticism on defense, even if it is young. Everything will look better once we are playing OL we brought in from other sources than JUCO.

You list all the teams that beat us that have better qb's than us according to you which doesnt help your case ricardo.

It doesn't take a rep to know that Nassib is a better QB than what we faced vs Cincy, Uconn and rutgers. It can also easily be argued he is as good if not better than Daniels and Sunseri. The only two QB's in the BE that anyone could argue as definitely being better than Nassib are Smith and Collaros. We didn't face Collaros due to injury and we beat Smith.

We've improved the athleticism on defense, even if it is young.

What good does it do to be athletic if nobody teaches you how to tackle?

On the talent issue...

Baylor stomped Texas today. Anyone think Baylor has more talent than Texas? Admittedly, they have the most talented kid on the field, but 2 through 22... No chance.

So on the one hand, I realize that SU's talent is inadequate. On the ther hand, is our coaching maximizing what we do have?

Well, this is going to be an unpopular comment, but to some extent I think that our current talent level is outside the realm of any coach to change quickly. Given the state of the program and of our facilities, I don't see anyone hitting any home runs here right now. I think it is improving as quickly as can reasonably be expected. We've improved the athleticism on defense, even if it is young. Everything will look better once we are playing OL we brought in from other sources than JUCO.

I won't argue with that too much. Problem I have is that we barely squeaked by URI, Toledo and Tulane this year. Is our talent on par with those schools? Are our facilities worse than schools in the MAC and CUSA?

What has Marrone done to improve recruiting? What does he need to "rejuvenate" this program? Is facilities all he is lacking or is he just not a good recruiter.

And doesn't it concern you that we don't have any up and coming talent at key positions such as qb, rb, wr, te, ol, dl? In fact, almost all the talent at those positions are GRob guys.

I won't argue with that too much. Problem I have is that we barely squeaked by URI, Toledo and Tulane this year. Is our talent on par with those schools? Are our facilities worse than schools in the MAC and CUSA?
I hate to say it, but I think our offensive talent that was truly ready to go this year is indeed on a par with those teams, or worse.

It doesn't take a rep to know that Nassib is a better QB than what we faced vs Cincy, Uconn and rutgers. It can also easily be argued he is as good if not better than Daniels and Sunseri. The only two QB's in the BE that anyone could argue as definitely being better than Nassib are Smith and Collaros. We didn't face Collaros due to injury and we beat Smith.
Other BE qbs suck too. Ok. How many of them give someone 3 unchallenged years?

I'll argue that, because Boise is in a way, way WAY worse location for getting recruits and still upgrades talent level rapidly. Same with Wisconsin too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom