Does anyone think things are going in the right direction? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Does anyone think things are going in the right direction?

I'll argue that, because Boise is in a way, way WAY worse location for getting recruits and still upgrades talent level rapidly. Same with Wisconsin too.
Boise has been building a program going back to the Hawkins era. They didn't do it in 2 years. Having an established, winning program can offset a lack of facilities somewhat. We don't have the luxury of either right now.

I haven't followed Wisconsin's trajectory, but I doubt they turned around a moribund program in 2 years either.

I'll argue that, because Boise is in a way, way WAY worse location for getting recruits and still upgrades talent level rapidly. Same with Wisconsin too.

Madison is a worse location than Syracuse? That's a reach.

I don't think location has much to do with our recruiting struggles - the fact we've been awful for a decade is a bigger factor. The kids we're trying to recruit see Syracuse as a dog, 10-15 years ago Cuse was a place kids wanted to come to play. And our inadequate facilities don't help, either.

I really don't think people grasp how poorly recruits view Syracuse - we're Duke. That fact we used to trade punches with Va Tech when they were in diapers is not relevant to them. This is not going to be a quick turnaround. It just isn't.

Madison is a college town
Syracuse is basketball

So Fla, Rutgers, Pitt, WVU and Cincy all have more talent than we do.

I think all of those schools have more talent than we do.

Our talent is comparable to UConn's.

It's very obvious.

Depends on which aspect of recruiting you're talking about. I think Marrone gets recruiting. Work New York (obviously). But also evaluating talent--just by what I've seen. He does have some head scratchers in there, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt on those. Where I think Marrone is lacking is in recruiting personality. He's old school. Kids these days aren't gonna buy into that if he doesn't have wins to back it up. I really want to hold onto Wheatley for this reason.

Also, I worry if he's too stubborn. Hope I'm wrong.

And facilities. Melo Center Part Deux.

It's very obvious.

sadly i agree cuseguy

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Doug will need to win next year or he will be fired. If Doug goes 7-5 he will get an extension. If he starts out hot he will get an extension. Next year is make or break for him. Gross will not provide him with an extension if he doesnt have a good year.

I dont understand how people can say our talent has improved. Most of the impact players are still grob guys, I mean in three years Marrone couldnt recruit a QB that can unseat Nassib, that is not a good sign.

I agree, the talent, IMO is about the same,

It's very obvious.

Marrone just finished Year 3. If all of those schools have more talent than us (they apparently didn't last year, but I digress), then I don't feel very comfortable about the future.

So does the talent doesn't match up crowd think Marrone is doing everything he can as a head coach to win with less talent? Good gameplans, good gameday decisions, etc.? In the end, hopeless because of the talent mismatch?

It's very obvious.

True.

Unless you're USC or Texas or LSU, you generally can't upgrade talent with one full recruiting class.

You certainly can't eliminate the talent differential that existed with Pitt, Rutgers, S. Florida, Louisville, Cincy by the end of the Robinson era with one full class.

Marrone has had only one full class so far.

He will need at least two more to fully upgrade the talent level on this team

Another year of nassib is another year of crappy offense. Marrone is nuts if has another year with no deep passes and no rushing threat at qb.

I don't see that any of the back up quarterbacks put Nassib under any pressure to get on the field. Miller was supposed to be a stud, but he blew out his shoulder and now throws like a girl. Kinder sounds like a terrific athlete who should have gotten some snaps this year. I think that was a mistake. Charley Loeb has a slow throwing motion, although he's tall and has the build to be a decent pocket QB, but we aren't a team that blocks well enough for the "luxury" of starting a pocket QB. We need a guy who can roll out and throw on the run, while putting pressure on the edge of defenses.

Marrone has had only one full class so far.

He's had one partial class (the Shamarko, Phillip Thomas, etc. class) and two full classes (1 - Gulley, Kinder, Macky, Spruill, West, Lyn class, 2 - Lynch, Dyshawn, AAM, Kobena class).

Next year's roster will have 9 guys who were recruited by Robinson, 3 of which were honored by Marrone in his first partial class (Pugh, Lemon, Phillips).

So one would think that next year, our talent level gaps should close, right? Year after that, depends on what league we're in, but we should be a much more competitive football team, I would hope.

He's had one partial class (the Shamarko, Phillip Thomas, etc. class) and two full classes (1 - Gulley, Kinder, Macky, Spruill, West, Lyn class, 2 - Lynch, Dyshawn, AAM, Kobena class).

Next year's roster will have 9 guys who were recruited by Robinson, 3 of which were honored by Marrone in his first partial class (Pugh, Lemon, Phillips).

So one would think that next year, our talent level gaps should close, right? Year after that, depends on what league we're in, but we should be a much more competitive football team, I would hope.

My mistake. Two classes and a make-shift class following his hiring in December, 2005.

Yes, next year the gap should close a bit more. I am sure that that will happen.

Does that mean that mean the gap will have closed completely or that we will have more talent than Rutgers, USF, Pitt, Louisville or Cincy - or even UConn? Probably not.

Given what the program has been - given the lack of money and lack of infrastructure - though it has been improved - and given the Robinson era, it should not be surprising that it will take a number of classes to get to where we all want to be.

Yes, I think we will be more competitive next year. And, I am disappointed, but not surprised by what happened this year.

It took Mac seven years. It will take time under Marrone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom