Does anyone think we will have some changes to the basketball program this offseason like we had with the football team after last year? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Does anyone think we will have some changes to the basketball program this offseason like we had with the football team after last year?

lololol

Nowhere does he mention what if the performance continues to decline, it's just insane at this point.

People say, Jim doesn't want to go out this way. Well how do you know its going to get better for him to go out? There's no guarantees, and if he gets back to a 20 win season or something, he will then think I can continue doing this and it never stops.

Last edited:
No, but I think we'll be good next year if the following happens in order of importance:
  1. Jesse returns
  2. Mintz comes
  3. Cole returns
  4. Benny returns and/or we bring in a proven forward
  5. Joe's reigned in and told to protect the ball and shoot when open (i.e., no hero ball)
So a lot needs to happen for us to be good.

I also wonder if any of our asssistants might be thinking of moving on. They still have many years of coaching in front of them. That might be a clue to the future if they aren't.
Red would be stupid to leave now.
If we go in-house he would likely have the inside track.
GMac is JB’s guy. I doubt he would leave JB.
Allen Griffin would be the only guy maybe who could look for another job.

Red would be stupid to leave now.
If we go in-house he would likely have the inside track.
Agree. There was already some speculation Griff was considering going to Indiana with Archie Miller a couple years ago.

I think if JAB can't get Gmac the SU job, he's going to work to get him a HC job somewhere. Gmac was supposed to be in consideration for the Siena job, no? And then Paulus falls into the HC job at Niagara, which has got to grind some gears.

I think if JAB can't get Gmac the SU job, he's going to work to get him a HC job somewhere. Gmac was supposed to be in consideration for the Siena job, no? And then Paulus falls into the HC job at Niagara, which has got to grind some gears.
I don’t get the Paulus love by some. He was an assistant for a very short time at Ohio State and Louisville. He was let go by Louisville after their NCAA issues before Mack was hired. He also has yet to finish .500 in the MAAC. All of our assistants were more qualified than he is.

I don’t get the Paulus love by some. He was an assistant for a very short time at Ohio State then Louisville, and was let go by Louisville after their NCAA issues before Mack was hired. He also has yet to finish .500 in the MAAC. All of our assistants were more qualified than he is.
Agree. Didn't inherit the ideal situation and I know COVID made things difficult, but I'd want to see more progress from him before I was too excited.

I want to believe, I have hope. My brain says more of the same this year unless we hit the portal and get a stud. Im Not sure Mintz and the other freshmen will be game changers. I hope I’m wrong.

if you're happy finishing in the bottom half of the ACC every season and unranked nationally then by all means stick with what you got. if you actually want to win a conference crown and be in the conversation then yes changes need to be made.

Misleading headline.

“I don’t see why he wouldn’t continue for another 3-5 years.” is the actual quote.

Not exactly the same as HE WILL COACH ANOTHER 3-5 YEARS.
Yeah, just about to post the same thing. I know "editors" do that kind of sh! with headlines, but sheesh. Kouwe didn't say anything like what the headline said.

Click bait.

Kouwe played almost 40 full minutes in 4 years. he knows the ORANGE bench from the bottom up.

Nothing is changing until Jim retires.

This.

Including players we don't want leaving via portal, happening again this off season.

Hope I am 100% wrong about that, mind... but have a bad gut feeling.

I don’t get the Paulus love by some. He was an assistant for a very short time at Ohio State and Louisville. He was let go by Louisville after their NCAA issues before Mack was hired. He also has yet to finish .500 in the MAAC. All of our assistants were more qualified than he is.
I know, that was kind of the thrust of my post. JAB wants Gmac to get a chance to coach, and it's unlikely to be at SU, so I doubt Gerry wants to hang around as an asst for Red or whomever. If Gerry wants to be get his feet wet at a lower-level D1 school, JAB can probably make that happen before he retires, but if he wanted one and hasn't been offered a job yet, Paulus falling into the job at Niagara has to be a bit of a sore spot.

No. Jim has won for his entire career. Dino had one winning season out of six. The program isn't going to change until Jim retires unless Jim decides to change things up. I'm very interested in seeing Jim coach post his kids. I truly believe that it completely skewed his roster management and in game decisions. Now that they guys have moved on i fully expect Jim to coach like he used to and to have better results. Buddy is a big loss Jimmy played his heart out, but he can be replaced. We need someone who can drive the ball and score from the guard position vs just catch and shoot or back your arse in and shoot ISO ball. If we get Mintz that is a huge help as he fills a major void. We also need one or two game ready forwards depending on what Cole decides. Obviously, this depends on Jesse returning which I expect he will.
Next years team is solid if Jesse comes back, Mintz is orange, Cole returns and Benny is back. Add a solid forward and we are back in the dance.
If Jesse was to leave, Cole move on, Mintz pick another school, and Benny bolt we are looking at the worst season of Jims career. Lots of ifs lets hope SU basketball has as solid an off season as the football program did.
How would the roster look with Mika Adams-Woods, Andre Jackson and Lance Ware added to JG3, Symir, Benny, Jesse and the 5 freshman?Certainly more athletic for the zone and allows JG to play off the ball, which will help his shooting.

Last edited:
I’m surprise that Rick Pitino is not mentioned for the UMass job since he’s an alum. If he went to UMass, I could see Red and Griff going to Iona. Both are New York City playground legends and could recruit the city very well at Iona.

Would love to see some changes but I doubt they happen.
I thought staff changes should have been made after the 18-19 season where they got a 9 seed and lost to Baylor.

The problem is its gonna be hard to bring on an Assistant for a lame duck coach approaching retirement unless you gaurantee the HCIW title and then let that coach start bringing an assistant or 2 as I am sure Autry and Mac might not be happy with that development.

They could at least move on from Cabilles and try a new S&C coach
Nothing is going to change in the foreseeable future so just get used to it.

We are not going to change because we haven't been practicing the act of changing. So we are not ready.

We are not going to change because we haven't been practicing the act of changing. So we are not ready.
We don't experiment......until we do

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom