Does Carlos start next to JJ? | Syracusefan.com

Does Carlos start next to JJ?

Cusefan0307

Red recruits the ACC!
4 of the 5 starting positions would appear to be set in stone. Lampkin, Freeman, Bell and JJ. The last position is really the open question. Do we start Carlos to get a pure pg on the floor or does Red go another direction with someone like Taylor and let JJ handle the ball to start the game?

JJ made a comment recently about working on creating for others and handling etc. Makes me think Red is taking a good hard look at JJ at pg. He'll def get time there each game. Given JJ didn't show pg skills last year, I tend to think we'll be better with Carlos running pg - whether or not that's how the season starts in a couple weeks, I have no idea.

JJ made a comment recently about working on creating for others and handling etc. Makes me think Red is taking a good hard look at JJ at pg. He'll def get time there each game. Given JJ didn't show pg skills last year, I tend to think we'll be better with Carlos running pg - whether or not that's how the season starts in a couple weeks, I have no idea.
To sum up, 50/50 whether JJ or Carlos starts at PG in November, but I feel like it's 85% Carlos starts at PG by ACC play. JJ is Red's boy though, so we'll see how it goes.

I hope so! I think JJ doing more playmaking is great but as a primary PG it scares me. He's a downhill/what's in front of me player with the ball in his hands. Westry, Tayler, Cuffe, Moore are the other options and the best playmaker of that group hasn't played in a couple of years. I'm sure that between those 4 guys and JJ we can have a capable backcourt as far as advancing the ball and moving the ball when Carlos is out. I'd hesitate to consider any of them PG's or even lead guards.

I hope so! I think JJ doing more playmaking is great but as a primary PG it scares me. He's a downhill/what's in front of me player with the ball in his hands. Westry, Tayler, Cuffe, Moore are the other options and the best playmaker of that group hasn't played in a couple of years. I'm sure that between those 4 guys and JJ we can have a capable backcourt as far as advancing the ball and moving the ball when Carlos is out. I'd hesitate to consider any of them PG's or even lead guards.
I would like to see Westry run the point and JJ at the 2. He has suffered through a couple of years of injury, but before he got hurt, Westry, had the rare combination of athleticism, handle, creativity, and size, that you can't teach! I hope he can come back from his injury history, if so, we are in for a treat!!!

A starting backcourt of JJ and Carlos makes the most sense to me, just to get the game started right with a pure point guard on the floor to handle the ball, distribute etc., and not put too much pressure on JJ out the gate, who most likely throughout the game will be called on to handle the ball during backcourt substitutions.

Also, when we play teams that press a lot and pressure the ball handler from end to end, we may have no choice but to give Carlos major minutes. I'm not sure if we have other guards who are good enough ball handlers and wise decision makers to not turn over the ball (I'm making a somewhat uninformed opinion that Carlos is capable).

A starting backcourt of JJ and Carlos makes the most sense to me, just to get the game started right with a pure point guard on the floor to handle the ball, distribute etc., and not put too much pressure on JJ out the gate, who most likely throughout the game will be called on to handle the ball during backcourt substitutions.
This is what I hope happens, but I could see the reverse happening as well where Carlos comes in to steady things if the offense isn't flowing. My impression from reading the board was Carlos came knowing, at the time, he'd be backing up the Mount St Mary's kid. When we landed Taylor, I wondered if he was given the impression he could compete for a starting spot given portal kids are usually looking for that opportunity or, at least, a chance to earn big minutes. A Starling/Taylor backcourt to start off wouldn't surprise me.

This is what I hope happens, but I could see the reverse happening as well where Carlos comes in to steady things if the offense isn't flowing. My impression from reading the board was Carlos came knowing, at the time, he'd be backing up the Mount St Mary's kid. When we landed Taylor, I wondered if he was given the impression he could compete for a starting spot given portal kids are usually looking for that opportunity or, at least, a chance to earn big minutes. A Starling/Taylor backcourt to start off wouldn't surprise me.
Even if it's Taylor getting the majority of the minutes in the backcourt with JJ, I really prefer Carlos starting especially after reading your point ..."Carlos comes in to steady things if the offense isn't flowing."

We have lost a lot of games in the past by starting out slow or discombobulated. A lot of comeback games or closing the gap games ended in defeat by expending a lot of energy catching up but yet falling short. I'd rather put a team out there that is more likely to get off to a good start than to be put in a position where I have to spend the rest of the game steadying the ship instead of following the game plan.

Agree. While I'm nervous about Carlos stepping up a level, he is a more natural PG than JJ and I'd prefer that option.

Agree. While I'm nervous about Carlos stepping up a level, he is a more natural PG than JJ and I'd prefer that option.

Carlos did well against solid competition including the 10/9 game playing at Duke. I have to imagine that the more these guys play together that it stands out the difference with running with a true PG alongside a true 5 as well. The ball moves and you don’t have unnecessary stretches of iso ball or poor decisions in the the half court

JJ at the point is a concept I can't imagine. Last season his passing was dreadful. We need a facilitator - good and willing passing is contagious.
It's bad news all around. I can't imagine Carlos and JJ defensively will be beyond dreadful but probably better on offense than the alternative.

I hope the defense is better, I just don't see it.

Starling playing huge minutes at the 2 means there's no PT for our other guards/wings behind him and Bell. Unless they shoot their way off the floor. And then we have no D at those spots.

It's bad news all around. I can't imagine Carlos and JJ defensively will be beyond dreadful but probably better on offense than the alternative.

I hope the defense is better, I just don't see it.

I’ve watched way too much of his tape in the time waiting impatiently for the season to start and I do think we will be better defensively. He’s more physical than Judah at the point of attack and much better at rotating quickly vs ball watching. He’s also very quick at getting back in transition and stopping the ball. His issues will be size and playing against elite speed and athleticism but he holds his own.

JJs defense will be the key. He doesn’t have to be all conference but needs to be average and use his natural abilities on that end. If our new AC has his hands on the defense we should see a more team oriented approach and a better job staying in front and closing out with intent . His MSM teams did a good job at this and have to figure he will bring that with.

We should create more missed shots and less freebies off of lazy defense, bad switching and gambling. That’s just looking at scheme, players and expected improvements.

I still figure our D is somewhere 40-70 in Ken Pom but with an offense that should be closer to top 35 that’s solid enough.

The outliers come down to Naheem, Taylor, Donnie etc. not going to even include Chance at this point.

I could be way off but I think we will be slightly improved, just that we also will create fewer turnovers and run off rebounds mostly when we can. Thus it won’t be a 180 just a better concept and better effort.

Starling playing huge minutes at the 2 means there's no PT for our other guards/wings behind him and Bell. Unless they shoot their way off the floor. And then we have no D at those spots.

there should be 10-12 mins backing up Bell, 10-12 minutes behind JJ and 12-15 mins behind Carlos. That’s solid minutes for 3 guys to step up in those spots with Taylor, Cuffe and Moore your primary options and then whatever Chance gets you. Davis may slot into the 3 at times but I expect he’s a 4 mostly and then the three bigs are mostly at the 5 outside unique circumstances.

I’ve watched way too much of his tape in the time waiting impatiently for the season to start and I do think we will be better defensively. He’s more physical than Judah at the point of attack and much better at rotating quickly vs ball watching. He’s also very quick at getting back in transition and stopping the ball. His issues will be size and playing against elite speed and athleticism but he holds his own.

JJs defense will be the key. He doesn’t have to be all conference but needs to be average and use his natural abilities on that end. If our new AC has his hands on the defense we should see a more team oriented approach and a better job staying in front and closing out with intent . His MSM teams did a good job at this and have to figure he will bring that with.

We should create more missed shots and less freebies off of lazy defense, bad switching and gambling. That’s just looking at scheme, players and expected improvements.

I still figure our D is somewhere 40-70 in Ken Pom but with an offense that should be closer to top 35 that’s solid enough.

The outliers come down to Naheem, Taylor, Donnie etc. not going to even include Chance at this point.

I could be way off but I think we will be slightly improved, just that we also will create fewer turnovers and run off rebounds mostly when we can. Thus it won’t be a 180 just a better concept and better effort.
I gotta believe we will be a better rebounding team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom