Does JB actually believe this | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Does JB actually believe this

These laws will affect every college athlete while only benefiting the top 0.5%.
You're really fixated on this, and there's just no way to know how many athletes, or which athletes would benefit, until this can all be done out in the open.

the problem, imo, is and has always been is that once you allow for the likeness, you essentially permit nike and all boosters to buy players for schools. Do you think syracuse can pay players the same as kentucky or duke or alabama? What we will see, imo, is the sec and large public schools dominate recruiting. Outside of duke (nike will support) and maybe a few others, private schools wont be able to compete.

i believe in the concept of players benefitting off likeness, i just predict it will have horrible consequences for my team. Id like to hear counter arguments to why that wouldnt be the case.

The powerhouse schools already get the best talent. We don’t compete with them for recruits in the current landscape, so paying players won’t change that.

I’ve made this argument here before. There are schools with more money than recruiting ‘prestige.’ Meaning, there are schools who currently can’t get good recruits cuz they suck but they have boatloads of wealthy boosters. If players could get paid for their likenesses, those schools could land more good recruits.

There’s an argument that it would improve parity.

Here are some counter arguments.

Roster limits would still be a factor. Kentucky can't literally get everybody. Part of the calculus a player makes will be weighing opportunity on a roster. Is it better for them to be the 10th man at Duke, or the top guy at Iowa State? That isn't much different from how players have to think of it now. In fact, bring in financials, and we might even see talent smooth out some.

Another factor will be geographic opportunity. It's very possible it becomes very valuable for athletes to dominate the market where their school is located. This likely means some previously overlooked destinations become very hot and desirable.

It's also possible that more money flows in. We have bag men because that's how a "donor" can drive the most direct impact to their program. Legitimate donors have to spend an awful lot of money to provide a ridiculous indirect benefit (locker room bling, for example). More people may step forward if they feel they can 1, directly benefit their favorite team more by coming to an arrangement with a player and oh by the way 2, actually derive some benefit from that relationship by having that player associated with their business.

We might also see some players clean up their act a little. It's one thing if you have the risk of losing a scholarship. It's another altogether if a public mishap during a night out on the town costs you 6 figures in endorsements.

Keep in mind too, most of the conversation so far has been about money going to a player as they choose a school. Let's not overlook though the value a player could realize while developing as an athlete. This is one of the biggest reasons why I think this needs to be done. We love in a world where under the right circumstances anybody can have their 15 minutes of Fame, and our current way of doing things prohibits student-athletes from benefitting from that. Think of the baseball player that makes news in town for throwing a perfect game, or women's softball players that demonstrate exceptional sportsmanship, or for Olympic sport athletes, imagine the benefit that an athlete at the top of their sport at a school could find when the US swim/wrestling/volleyball/gymnastics teams are popular during the Olympics. I think women's soccer players for example could be some of the biggest beneficiaries. One of the most compelling reasons to me to make a change is to benefit those athletes, and you can't predict all of that value or possibility until they're competing at that level.

Lastly, and I know you acknowledge this... big picture, this is a more important issue than how it affects any one University's fans and programs. I believe that rights to name and likeness are a necessity and inherent human rights in today's world.

good points. as you state, the roster limits have always been an issue. My concern isnt duke or uk. Those guys are getting paid anyways. My concern is the bill would make syracuse competition for the next tier of recruits much more difficult. Imagine the blood money at baylor, flowing to recruits.

one Of my concerns is that the haves and have-nots in a locker room could EASILY breed jealously or resentment. We are human after all.
sort of like playing time. I understand the concern but that isn't something I worry about. Kids know who should be getting what, and who should be playing or shouldn't. Coaches need to manage that as well.

good points. as you state, the roster limits have always been an issue. My concern isnt duke or uk. Those guys are getting paid anyways. My concern is the bill would make syracuse competition for the next tier of recruits much more difficult. Imagine the blood money at baylor, flowing to recruits.
I do imagine it, and I'm ok with it, because I think the players merit it.

JB's point about food money - SU is $1,400 a month - where does that stand with other schools?

JB's point about food money - SU is $1,400 a month - where does that stand with other schools?

The 1400 is the cost of attendance stipend. The food money is different.

sort of like playing time. I understand the concern but that isn't something I worry about. Kids know who should be getting what, and who should be playing or shouldn't. Coaches need to manage that as well.

Coaches shouldn’t have to worry about something like that, that has nothing to do with on the court/field like playing time.

Change is coming so whether JB likes it or not he better understand it.

Coaches shouldn’t have to worry about something like that, that has nothing to do with on the court/field like playing time.

Doe's Desko worry about this now with some guys going for free and others having to pay?

I'm fine with players getting paid a few bucks to do a local car commercial or whatever but this idea that there is this long line of people with hundred of thousands of dollars for Tyus Battle or whoever else is kind of foolish to me. The top 1% are a different story. Those kids should being going straight to the league anyway. That is the NBA's fault. They have the 1 and done rule. They should change that. How many kids are we talking about though versus how many total kids play NCAA sports. Zion, RJ and whoever else from last season should not have even been in college.

Doe's Desko worry about this now with some guys going for free and others having to pay?

Apples and oranges.

I don't feel like JB is fighting change he was just saying what he heard from his players. I believe it is probably true. I don't think he was making the argument we should give the player nothing. He has talked about how things have gotten better recently and we have more we should do for the players. He has been saying that for at least 3 years.

Yea, that’s the ticket.

I'm fine with players getting paid a few bucks to do a local car commercial or whatever but this idea that there is this long line of people with hundred of thousands of dollars for Tyus Battle or whoever else is kind of foolish to me. The top 1% are a different story. Those kids should being going straight to the league anyway. That is the NBA's fault. They have the 1 and done rule. They should change that. How many kids are we talking about though versus how many total kids play NCAA sports. Zion, RJ and whoever else from last season should not have even been in college.

It's not just the top 1% who gets paid. Mason has gone in detail about this before.

Mike Gbinije and Trevor Cooney did local commercials in Syracuse immediately after the Final Four in 2016.

It's not just the top 1% who gets paid. Mason has gone in detail about this before.

Mike Gbinije and Trevor Cooney did local commercials in Syracuse immediately after the Final Four in 2016.
I agree. I'm just saying I don't think it's some crazy windfall of money. I could be wrong. In the end I'm fine with the players making it if they want to sign autographs for money at Destiny USA or do a commercial spot. No issue with me.

The only argument against this seems to be hypothetical and little factual information.
Or people want to pretend cheating and players aren't already getting paid to go to certain schools already.
The Sneaker companies are involved we all know.
Adidas was directing its kids to Kansas/Louisville.
Nike to Kentucky/Duke/Oregon.

This stuff happens. The bags aren't talked about as much in football but most people believe the top teams buy recruits.

The only argument against this seems to be hypothetical and little factual information.
I don't think there is an argument against letting the players make money from autographs and other things but I could make up a reasonable argument for not paying them money from the school

I don't think there is an argument against letting the players make money from autographs and other things but I could make up a reasonable argument for not paying them money from the school

And that's fine by me. Make it the olympic model.

I can see why schools don't love this. There will be sponsorship dollars going to players instead of the AD budget

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom