Does SU Win this Game Without Williams? | Syracusefan.com

Does SU Win this Game Without Williams?

OrangeinBoston

All Conference
I dont't think so. They really couldn't control Thompson even with Mullins in his shirt. Thompson is absolutely amazing.

After what we have been through since Brennan left I sure as hell don't feel bad one iota for SU turning the tables for a change

I don't feel bad, either. Are we supposed to? :D

Obviously not. Desko sucks, his ass should be fired.

Is that what you wanted to hear?
Wow, wow, wow... A little sensitive are you? Exposed nerve ending?

Desko himself said that if the possessions were 50/50 he wouldn't know what the score would be. The point is that Albany's offense was very effective against SU's defense, that SU's best defender had more than his hand's full, and that Williams may well be the MVP this year.

Last edited:
The point is that Albany's offense was very effective against SU's defense and that SU's best defender had more than his hand's full.
Yes, one of the best offenses in the country was effective against SU defense. And, yes, SU's best defender had his hands full against the best player in the country. Did we think that wasn't going to happen. We would have scored 20 goals with average man up.

Wow, wow, wow... A little sensitive are you? Exposed nerve ending?

Desko himself said that if the possessions were 50/50 he wouldn't know what the score would be. The point is that Albany's offense was very effective against SU's defense, that SU's best defender had more than his hand's full, and that Williams may well be the MVP this year.

Cut the turnovers in half and this game is over at halftime.

I was shocked at how easily cornell shut down albany when no one else has, i thought after how SU played vs duke they would be able to do the same,

I was shocked at how easily cornell shut down albany when no one else has, i thought after how SU played vs duke they would be able to do the same,

Oakes was suspended and didn't play that game and Cornell dominated at the X like did. I mean Syracuse was up 8 goals midway through the fourth, I would call that pretty dominant.

The only reason it got close at the end was due to substitutions. Desko took his foot off the gas so that some young guys got time. It is going to be fun to see Matt Lane develop, you can't teach 6'7" 244.

The only reason it got close at the end was due to substitutions. Desko took his foot off the gas so that some young guys got time. It is going to be fun to see Matt Lane develop, you can't teach 6'7" 244.
It was also nice to see that line get some meaningful minutes earlier on in the game. The coaches are certainly trying to see where Lane fits for the future. They had him in at attack and midfield again.

From being at the game it worried me a bit that Albany was storming back with a few wins at the face off x. I thought maybe Desko took Williams off the face off a bit early but hard to argue when they had a 8 goal lead at the time. Part of me was concerned that he had been injured by the cheap shot in the substitution box.

Albany got a bit chippy in the game. I moved back to the area last year and have been going to lax games in other locations for the past 15 years. Our crowd is great, emotional and knowledgeable about the game. They were getting on Albany head coach Scott Marr and I am shocked that he reacted to it. Very poor move for him as everyone was on him the rest of the game. It sort of felt like the UMass contests of years past.

The officials did not have their best night. I am still puzzled by some of the calls that were made. I thought they had an incentive to keep Albany in the game.

Unrelated thoughts...

While I respect what Inside Lacrosse did to try to grow the game with the showcase matchups in NFL stadiums it is so nice that the games are brought back to campus. The team seems to respond favorably to the energy from the stands. One of the Duke, ND and Virginia games might have been held in the Meadowlands a few years ago but selfishly I am glad that this is back at the respective teams home venues. I know we are known nationally by the size of the crowds we draw but it is not only a volume of fans that we possess it is also the quality of the atmosphere. We have it.

Many of the best players are still from upstate ny and it is great that the family members get a chance to see them play. I would encourage anyone on the fence to consider going to a lax game at the carrier dome as it is a great affordable experience. My girlfriend had never been to a game before and she was amazed by the culture we have in the Dome. Kind of wish this game was on a Friday night as I imagine we might have had an even stronger turnout.

Sorry to get off topic! Still glowing from a fantastic year in the Dome...unfortunately I can't make it to the Hobart game...Tuesday night from Rochester is just not possible.

It was also nice to see that line get some meaningful minutes earlier on in the game. The coaches are certainly trying to see where Lane fits for the future. They had him in at attack and midfield again.

I'm guessing that Lane has moved into the #3 middie line to replace "Scrubs".

From being at the game it worried me a bit that Albany was storming back with a few wins at the face off x. I thought maybe Desko took Williams off the face off a bit early but hard to argue when they had a 8 goal lead at the time. Part of me was concerned that he had been injured by the cheap shot in the substitution box.

Albany got a bit chippy in the game. I moved back to the area last year and have been going to lax games in other locations for the past 15 years. Our crowd is great, emotional and knowledgeable about the game. They were getting on Albany head coach Scott Marr and I am shocked that he reacted to it. Very poor move for him as everyone was on him the rest of the game. It sort of felt like the UMass contests of years past.

The officials did not have their best night. I am still puzzled by some of the calls that were made. I thought they had an incentive to keep Albany in the game.

Unrelated thoughts...

While I respect what Inside Lacrosse did to try to grow the game with the showcase matchups in NFL stadiums it is so nice that the games are brought back to campus. The team seems to respond favorably to the energy from the stands. One of the Duke, ND and Virginia games might have been held in the Meadowlands a few years ago but selfishly I am glad that this is back at the respective teams home venues. I know we are known nationally by the size of the crowds we draw but it is not only a volume of fans that we possess it is also the quality of the atmosphere. We have it.

Many of the best players are still from upstate ny and it is great that the family members get a chance to see them play. I would encourage anyone on the fence to consider going to a lax game at the carrier dome as it is a great affordable experience. My girlfriend had never been to a game before and she was amazed by the culture we have in the Dome. Kind of wish this game was on a Friday night as I imagine we might have had an even stronger turnout.

Sorry to get off topic! Still glowing from a fantastic year in the Dome...unfortunately I can't make it to the Hobart game...Tuesday night from Rochester is just not possible.

Good recap and thoughts. I wasnt able to make the game myself and was hoping you could expand on the extracariculars between Marr and the stands as well as the incident with Williams near the sideline. Dale and company mentioned it on the broadcast but didnt go into detail. Thanks.

Good recap and thoughts. I wasnt able to make the game myself and was hoping you could expand on the extracariculars between Marr and the stands as well as the incident with Williams near the sideline. Dale and company mentioned it on the broadcast but didnt go into detail. Thanks.

When DeJoe (I believe it was him) gave a big body check to one of the Albany players on a man up situation in search of a loose ball... an old school man ball type play. Albany coach Scott Marr was upset that a penalty was not called. He was giving the refs the business and the crowd around him was heckling him. My seats are in section 101 near the the back in front of the luxury box. I can't be sure what was said to the coach that set him off. Marr took offense to the crowd and turned around and did a World Wrestling Federation gesture where he had his hand over his ear while facing the crowd. Like he was a villain and was egging them to be louder. A sort of mocking gesture. The crowd of course reacted and yelled at him even louder. Marra sort of pointed to his ass (like kiss it) but then quickly grabbed those weird throw back hats that they were wearing out of his back pocket. It was bizarre. I have never seen anything like it.

On Williams, I don't really know exactly what happened but it looked like the Albany player nudged Williams in the substitution box. Albany was starting to get a bit frustrated and tried to get to us. Our guys seemed immune to it. This team seems mentally tough and on an absolute mission since the loss to Bryant. I guess SU assistant was all fired up but I didn't see it. The guy sitting next to me saw more than I did. I rarely pay attention to what is going on in the substitution area so this is his account.

When DeJoe (I believe it was him) gave a big body check to one of the Albany players on a man up situation in search of a loose ball... an old school man ball type play. Albany coach Scott Marr was upset that a penalty was not called. He was giving the refs the business and the crowd around him was heckling him. My seats are in section 101 near the the back in front of the luxury box. I can't be sure what was said to the coach that set him off. Marr took offense to the crowd and turned around and did a World Wrestling Federation gesture where he had his hand over his ear while facing the crowd. Like he was a villain and was egging them to be louder. A sort of mocking gesture. The crowd of course reacted and yelled at him even louder. Marra sort of pointed to his ass (like kiss it) but then quickly grabbed those weird throw back hats that they were wearing out of his back pocket. It was bizarre. I have never seen anything like it.

On Williams, I don't really know exactly what happened but it looked like the Albany player nudged Williams in the substitution box. Albany was starting to get a bit frustrated and tried to get to us. Our guys seemed immune to it. This team seems mentally tough and on an absolute mission since the loss to Bryant. I guess SU assistant was all fired up but I didn't see it. The guy sitting next to me saw more than I did. I rarely pay attention to what is going on in the substitution area so this is his account.

Thanks. Thinking back now TW did show Marr doing that ear thing and then quickly putting that weird hat on. You could tell he was getting frustrated. Can't say I blame him as Syracuse has pretty much owned him his entire career at Albany.

Thanks. Thinking back now TW did show Marr doing that ear thing and then quickly putting that weird hat on. You could tell he was getting frustrated. Can't say I blame him as Syracuse has pretty much owned him his entire career at Albany.
I did some reading on the hats and it was in honor of a student athlete at Albany Dan Barnes '07 who recently passed away. I'll take back the weird comment as that is a nice gesture. Marr did let his emotions get the best of him. Albany did almost beat us last year except for Schoonmaker in OT. I was pulling for them against ND last year in They beat us the year before that I believe. Will be interesting to see what happens to the program without a Thompson on the roster.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom