Does Syracuse Trail Every ACC School in Sports Nutrition? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Does Syracuse Trail Every ACC School in Sports Nutrition?

To get all the data points in place and tracking trends and show progress and growth amongst 100+ athletes doesn't happen over night.

There needs to be individual discussions with the athletes about current diet habits and trainings programs secondary to whatever the programs have them in.

From there, there needs to be an analysis and assessment of the body type and what their metabolic rates are, how many calories they need, what type of calories and food they need.

This takes time to get in place when you have over 100 people you are doing this for.

There's monitoring progress and tracking that needs to happen. Adjustments need to be made.

So that's where I come up with this stuff.
I get there's a lot of data and tracking to gauge progress, but how much of an on-field impact are we expecting this to make? It's not like the team just goes to Five Guys on the Hill every day. I assume their diet plans are already tailored to their body size and position. Until I see otherwise, I'll continue to lean on proven indicators like recruiting rankings, the portal, NIL, etc.

All this stuff has been around awhile and already in use. You are making this out to be way bigger than it is. SU was already doing most of this.
Really where? And why were some of the players complaining about it?

When I was a freshman QB at SU we ate at a place called the Commons in the basement of Slocum Hall on College place. It was cafeteria style and far from anything that comes close to following a players nutritive needs. We were issued "meal tickets" that were punched by the cashier after you picked out what you wanted. That system turned into a deal where some of the players began selling their tickets to anybody they could, so much so that they cancelled the tickets and players ate dorm food, which as I remember sucked, so I joined a fraternity where the food was bought and cooked by a chef.

If it has been then why are they promoting the hire of a sports nutritionist? They will need more than one person. That was the other point of my post.

And, if it has been why are the articles I have read saying the SEC is the only conference doing it and it is relatively new only four years in existence?

Last edited:
Really where? And why were some of the players complaining about it?

When I was a freshman QB at SU we ate at a place called the Commons in the basement of Slocum Hall on College place. It was cafeteria style and far from anything that comes close to following a players nutritive needs. We were issued "meal tickets" that were punched by the cashier after you picked out what you wanted. That system turned into a deal where some of the players began selling their tickets to anybody they could, so much so that they cancelled the tickets and players ate dorm food, which as I remember sucked, so I joined a fraternity where the food was bought and cooked by a chef.

If it has been then why are they promoting the hire of a sports nutritionist? They will need more than one person. That was the other point of my post.

And, if it has been why are the articles I have read saying the SEC is the only conference doing it and it is relatively new only four years in existence?
Some of the work was already being done. To what extent is a question. The kids were already being told generally how to eat and to stay hydrated. There was already a nutritionist in the athletic department.

Having a dedicated nutritionist is better than not. Having a whole team even better. This is assuming you get an experienced football nutritionist. Just getting a nutritionist could actually make things worse.

But an entire team isn’t needed. The nutritionist isn’t meeting every day or in most cases even every week. Plenty of time to fit 100 kids over 10 days.

I would be interested to know if they plan on taking bloodwork. Can you even require kids to?

End of the day ia dedicated nutritionist likely won’t make much of a difference. These are growing young men. It isn’t hard to get results. Once you hit a certain point in life the value of nutrition gets more and more important for an athlete, 18-20 year olds, not so much.

Nutrition used to be an afterthought. Now it seems like it went too far in the opposite direction.

Lol, it’s going to take a minute to get this program up and running. Nutrition programs are not easy on their own. Add in that it has to complement Edinger’s S&C program perfectly for it to really work. Year one is basically going to be a wash on this as they will rely on trial and error a lot.

So basically the past nutrition sounds like the old Bill Cosby skit when he feeds the kids chocolate cake for breakfast?

We now have a dietitian.

A team spokesman told syracuse.com on Tuesday that the program hired Tori Brown as a dietitian in the past month.

Brown spent the 2022 season as the dietitian for West Virginia’s football team. She earned her master’s in dietetics and nutrition at Pittsburgh. While at Pitt, Brown worked with the football and basketball teams.

We now have a dietitian.

A team spokesman told syracuse.com on Tuesday that the program hired Tori Brown as a dietitian in the past month.

Brown spent the 2022 season as the dietitian for West Virginia’s football team. She earned her master’s in dietetics and nutrition at Pittsburgh. While at Pitt, Brown worked with the football and basketball teams.

Expanding the information on Tori Brown, it's a good start. I hope JW can spend more so he/she can hire a support staff:

Tori Brown joined the Syracuse football staff in March 2023 as the program's Director of Performance Nutrition.

Brown is responsible for performing dietary assessments and counseling for all football-student athletes and creating nutrition programs specific to each athlete. She will work closely with the coaching, strength and conditioning and sports medicine staffs, as well as the performance chefs to ensure alignment towards a student-athlete's performance goals.

"Tori has been a great addition to our staff," said head coach Dino Babers. "She has already made an impact with our players and I look forward to seeing the results of her working with them."

Brown comes to Syracuse after serving as a sports dietitian at West Virginia with the Mountaineers football program. She also previously worked at the University of Pittsburgh while completing her master's degree in dietetics and nutrition.

While with the Panthers, she worked with the football and basketball programs as a Sports Nutrition Assistant. In that role, she managed a volunteer force of 20+ students to service fueling stations and individual teams that were responsible for serving 300+ student-athletes.

Last edited:
When you have an AD without coaching experience its easier to see how this and other amenities are overlooked.

When you have an AD without coaching experience its easier to see how this and other amenities are overlooked.
I agree partially, but the AD is a smart dude, I believe he knows how proper and specific nutrition to every athlete on our football team affects performance. If he didn't, someone got in his ear and he followed through. Good for us and for the players.

This should have been accomplished a long time ago.

There are a lot of ADs out there without coaching experience these days. Not a smart post.

Fine for schools singularly focused on football or basketball. But across other sports programs at the university, who voiced concerns about dietary/nutrition training years and years ago, im not sure theyd immediately agree

Fine for schools singularly focused on football or basketball. But across other sports programs at the university, who voiced concerns about dietary/nutrition training years and years ago, im not sure theyd immediately agree
That doesn't take away from my point, but I know you're the type who will never admit they are wrong. So you win.

That doesn't take away from my point, but I know you're the type who will never admit they are wrong. So you win.

AD’s without coaching experience aren’t rare and can/have been good AD’s in the past. You’re right it was poorly stated/wrong on my part to say that, and I have zero problem saying that. I go out of my way to make fun of myself when I’m wrong pretty often on the board.

My comment is based off of sentiment from non-revenue SU programs who’ve been clamoring for a nutritionist/dietician for years to be used department wide at SU. Its not a surprise this was filled when football started pushing harder, especially with the offseason talk from Linton’s family. An AD’s inability to relate with program coaches is a popular complaint. Not exactly unique to SU though.

AD’s without coaching experience aren’t rare and can/have been good AD’s in the past. You’re right it was poorly stated/wrong on my part to say that, and I have zero problem saying that. I go out of my way to make fun of myself when I’m wrong pretty often on the board.

My comment is based off of sentiment from non-revenue SU programs who’ve been clamoring for a nutritionist/dietician for years to be used department wide at SU. Its not a surprise this was filled when football started pushing harder, especially with the offseason talk from Linton’s family. An AD’s inability to relate with program coaches is a popular complaint. Not exactly unique to SU though.
Agree with all of this. Sorry for jumping on you. We're all a little grumpy today.

The year is 2025 and our new nutritionist has got the team in peak shape which has catapulted the program to top 10 status. 5* recruits are banging down the doors of the Ensley center to join a program with such elite nutrition. The basketball team has crumbled to nothing without their own dedicated nutritionist. Cuse's athletic department has done a full 180° . We are now a football school. This is our future. All hail Tori Brown

Pitt decides to hire her next year. And, she can't turn down an offer from her alma mater.

This is a bit overblown. The macros have been out there for ages. It isn't like a nutritionist has knowledge of dark arts. And they can't micro manage all 100 kids, just like the strength coach cannot. As Random was saying the other day, it is more about food access than food knowledge.

At soccer clubs in Europe, they have similar aged players, and those a bit older, and have been doing a lot with nutrition management and sports recovery for the past 25 years.

Further to the cultural differences as to sports nutrition, here's what Pep Guardiola of Manchester City had to say today, talking about managing the health of his amazing 22 year old striker.

"Manchester City are monitoring Erling Haaland 24 hours a day in an effort to keep the Norwegian fit for the season run-in.

City are still in the hunt for the Premier League, Champions League and FA Cup and Pep Guardiola is so desperate to have Haaland available that he says the 45-goal striker is being wrapped in cotton wool.

"We take care of him 24 hours, we have incredible doctors and physios, they are behind him every second of the day," Guardiola told a news conference on Friday.

"It's difficult to understand why you spend a lot of money [on players] and then leave them -- I don't know what the other clubs do."

"Today with this demanding schedule of games every three or four days we have to take care of them.

"Sometimes they cannot train more than 10 or 15 minutes. People say why was he [Haaland] subbed against Leipzig when he'd scored all the goals but then he was injured after the Burnley game and cannot play with us against Liverpool."

"He works so much time inside the training centre, much more than on the pitch. Today in modern football, players train more behind the scenes than on the pitch."

At soccer clubs in Europe, they have similar aged players, and those a bit older, and have been doing a lot with nutrition management and sports recovery for the past 25 years.

Europe is decades behind when it comes to training. So the nutrition would be quite different.

Europe is decades behind when it comes to training. So the nutrition would be quite different.

Actually in the US, we are much more about strength training and muscle mass. But we also have a lot more muscular injuries and joint injuries.

They focus more on flexibility, endurance and diet. Lean muscle mass, not bulk. Guys don't order pizza, burgers or eat sugary breakfast cereal at a training table in Europe. They eat chicken, fish, veggies.

Good news going forward but some absolute cringeworthy quotes in here about the past. Leadership failures everywhere from the admin to the coaching staff.