Does the Dome need to be refurbished? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Does the Dome need to be refurbished?

As much as my ass would enjoy its own seat, maybe even with a cup holder on it, I wouldn't want to lose capacity.

the biggest and most well known stadiums in the country have benches.
I guess we're too good for that.

First, I'd like to say that whoever drove the initial building of the Dome should be awarded a medal. It has become the very symbol of Central New York.

The school should absolutely not use state or federal money for any upgrades. Once you do, Govco has its hooks in and they will make life much more difficult than it should be. Then, the ones who ultimately pay for it through donations, advertising/publicity, and ticket sales will be the ones who actually USE it, and that's the way it should be.

As far as upgrades, individual seating would be nice, but could they not compromise in the bleachers by simply adding a benchback to each row?

Expanding the outer structure to expand the hallways would be insanely expensive. Short of building a new facility, we are stuck with the Dome's basic configuration. Lose some weight and show more patience when walking around there.

I like the idea of attaching restaurant/retail space. It would provide needed services, generate jobs, and properly done would soften the look of the Dome from its bunker-like appearance. The Marshall Street businesses might not be too happy about that, but that is competition, and thus, good for the consumer.

If a roof replacement is going to be done, it should be orange in color. Possibly with the block "S" on it as well. It would provide for some awesome aerial shots for national TV coverage.

Syracuse needs a vision on the Dome: is it 10 years or 30+ years

If 10 years: install some upgraded seating in Preferred A and B Also upgrade some seating in the sidecourt area for hoop games. Explore applying an orange coating over the aluminum seating. Build an addition on the Irving Ave side of the Dome for a recruitig lounge, restaurant, etc...

If 30+ years: a total refurbishment in stages to keep the Dome open and functional. Look at attaching a hotel on the Irving Ave side with glass windows of a fancy restaurant overlooking the top of the 300 section. Other possibilities: widening the long hallways on each side, more extensive seatbacks, more suites.

Eventually, the Dome will expand to the west to the street. You'll see expansive lobbies, escalators to all levels with new concession areas, locker rooms and dining establishments. A hard roof will also be added. Individual seating will lose two seats per row.
If only

I love the Dome. It's nationally, even internationally, known. It's a big recruiting tool. It gives the university and area positive media exposure on a regular basis because it's unique and because it demonstrates what a rabid fanbase we have.

That said...it's a pretty lousy and outdated gameday experience for the fans. Overcrowded and uncomfortable bench seats, made worse by all the bulky winter coats (in garbage bags), beer and soda spilling all over the floors because there's no cupholders, too few and poorly-placed bathrooms, lousy food, crowded hallways. At least they finally got some good craft beer, but there are so few places selling it that I literally have to arrive an hour early for big games to get in line for a Dogfish Head. I like a lot of the suggestions here and agree that, if the Dome isn't long for this world, we shouldn't sink any more money into it. But if we could get another 20 years or so with renovations, let's at least add stadium seats (okay, we'll lose some seats), more bathrooms and better concessions. Love going to games and hate to complain, but the Dome leaves much to be desired.

1. Don't wear a bulky coat!
2. I've never spilled a beer, despite not having cupholders. If it's important enough to you, you won't spill it!
3. I've never had a problem getting in and out of the bathroom quickly, especially compared to most other stadiums I've been to. Pee troughs speed up the whole process.
4. I agree the food could be better, but at the same time it's not really an issue to me as I always eat somewhere on Marshall St. either before the game, after the game, or both. I rarely eat at the Dome. If I do, it's a quick Dome Dog to hold me over. This is one area where the Chiefs do it right. Would be nice if the Dome followed suit, but it's an easily solved problem to me. Just eat the cheaper, better food on Marshall!
5. They've got Dogfish Head now?? I had no idea. How many college games is that even an option at?

I feel like most of your complaints are really minor and there's pretty easy solutions for most of those things.

Just let these guys do it:

flip-this-house.jpg

1. Don't wear a bulky coat!
2. I've never spilled a beer, despite not having cupholders. If it's important enough to you, you won't spill it!
3. I've never had a problem getting in and out of the bathroom quickly, especially compared to most other stadiums I've been to. Pee troughs speed up the whole process.
4. I agree the food could be better, but at the same time it's not really an issue to me as I always eat somewhere on Marshall St. either before the game, after the game, or both. I rarely eat at the Dome. If I do, it's a quick Dome Dog to hold me over. This is one area where the Chiefs do it right. Would be nice if the Dome followed suit, but it's an easily solved problem to me. Just eat the cheaper, better food on Marshall!
5. They've got Dogfish Head now?? I had no idea. How many college games is that even an option at?

I feel like most of your complaints are really minor and there's pretty easy solutions for most of those things.
I agree, the food and drink can be easily fixed and I hope the Dome officials do it. And yes, when I go to the NCAAs I realize how ridiculous it is for me to complain about long beer lines - at least I can get beer. But the seating is just bad. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind living with it so we can get the record crowds. But in an ideal world we could have the record crowds and decent seating where I have enough room to clap without hitting my neighbor, or vice versa. By the way, it's not MY bulky coat or spilled drinks - it's everyone around me (but they're very nice people...)

Those orange cushioned stadium seats should be added to EVERY seat, not just preferred areas. Would give folks something close to. true stadium seat- without reducing capacity by even one person.

For a study in long-term viability, everyone should become very familiar with Vancouver's BC Place. Used to look and function almost exactly like our Dome. A few years ago, its roof was replaced - from a bubble to a retractable. Cost a ton, but functionally necessary.

The days of air-supported roofs are over. With the Metrodome in Minneapolis officially closed as of Sunday, the Carrier Dome is officially the last of its kind. Which means the 'technology' will no longer be supported or viable. Remember when the Metrodome collapsed a few years ago, they got a replacement patch from the only place they could - Syracuse.

PREDICTION: considering the original Dome roof was replaced in 1998, the lifespan of the current roof would end in 2016. We will go retractable just like Vancouver. The rest of the building will continue getting incremental upgrades. Money will be there after a few more awesome basketball seasons. Biggest issue in this: the football team will probably have to play one season away from the Dome... just like when it was being built in 1979. Hello MetLife Stadium!

I don't know why they just don't do what ESPN did and make all comments through Facebook. Instantly cleans up the comments.
Yea, but it ticks off people like me who have no desire to be a part of Facebook. I have let ESPN know how narrow minded their decision was.

They need to remove the people who think there's something wrong with the Dome. :cool:

I would love to meet these people who write these comments.
I am going to take that back for you. You don't want to meet those people, hell their own family members are probably sorry they met them.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foxda130

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom