Does THIS open the door for Pasqualoni at Penn State? | Syracusefan.com

Does THIS open the door for Pasqualoni at Penn State?

mantonio

Starter
I wonder if Coach P is eyeing the vacancy in "Not So Happy Valley"

No. Reports are Penn St wants nobody who has any ties with Paterno. That means no Schiano or Pasqualoni.

Look for Urban Myer, Bill Cowher, Jon Gruden and all of those big names to be thrown about as well as others. But anyone with any ties to Paterno won't be considered according to reports

Al Golden certainly has Paterno ties. In fact, he was the Penn State LB coach in 2000, I think. Would be foolish to bring him in for that reason alone.

to be honest with everybody...for anybody to want this job right now i think would be borderline nuts...id rather coach miami or ohio state.

Al Golden certainly has Paterno ties. In fact, he was the Penn State LB coach in 2000, I think. Would be foolish to bring him in for that reason alone.
Yeah that would disqualify him

No. Reports are Penn St wants nobody who has any ties with Paterno. That means no Schiano or Pasqualoni.

Look for Urban Myer, Bill Cowher, Jon Gruden and all of those big names to be thrown about as well as others. But anyone with any ties to Paterno won't be considered according to reports

Greg Robinson? He won two Super Bowls.

Look for Urban Myer, Bill Cowher, Jon Gruden and all of those big names to be thrown about as well as others. But anyone with any ties to Paterno won't be cNoneonsidered according to reports
None of those guys touch this toxic dump.

It's a toxic dump right now and I'd have to think that a young guy that wants to get a big job or an old guy like coach p (but not p) that could give some stability until this blows over in 3 or 4 years.

No way they get a big name coach for awhile. Program is way worse off than Ohio st, Miami or any of the other scandal schools. Turner gill or someone maybe.

Ties to the Paterno regime might disqualify Greg Schiano even before the search committee got to look at his sublimely lack-lustre coaching credentials. He's the guy who has never beaten WVU. Never won the Big East. He's the guy whose team finished 4-8 and in last place in the Big East last year. Rutgers is the best job this guy will ever have. His 15 minutes of fame were over after the 2006 season.

Penn State's best option is to bring in an alumnus --- who of course will havve some ties to Paterno. But his love for the school will allow him to divorce himself from the old regime.

Bringing in an "outsider" is a recipe for disaster. They'll talk about it, but in the end, they will bring in an alumnus.

As high profile as the PSU program is, I think it would be smart for the BOT/search committee to realize they need a stable presence who can coach vs. the best talent available. Maybe someone who can be there for 3-5 years before they can go after someone the program can truly embrace (maybe Golden then?).

Somewhere on the board Herm Edwards name was mentioned. Someone like that would be good. Maybe Tony Dungy?

Also just remembered that Spaziani from BC is a PSU alum. Looks like he was a GA for JoePa in '69, but then left after a year. Could someone like that keep the ship steady? Maybe.

Maybe let Bradley be the guy that takes all the hits for a few years until this blows over?

Maybe let Bradley be the guy that takes all the hits for a few years until this blows over?

I could see that, but IMO, I think you have to clean house of almost everyone who's been on staff for more than a year or two. Perception is everything, and it might be best for the University to make a clean break.

I don't think so. I think they need to make a statement from a PR standpoint. Leaving this guy in would be a weak statement. They'll have to get a strong leader... one who portrays the non-nonsense attitude they will need. They also need to shore up the recruiting front. Recruits won't want to be associated with Paterno's regime. A new coach will allow recruits to keep their commitment to PSU but avoid ties to Paterno.

P might be a good choice for a few years to serve as a transition to their next long-term guy. P runs a clean program and has a good rep - exactly what they need.

P might be a good choice for a few years to serve as a transition to their next long-term guy. P runs a clean program and has a good rep - exactly what they need.

But isn't he already the transition guy for UCONN?

I could see that, but IMO, I think you have to clean house of almost everyone who's been on staff for more than a year or two. Perception is everything, and it might be best for the University to make a clean break.

Yeah, you and xc are probably right. Even scottie wouldn't be able to fix the deflector shields quick enough for the next coach to survive this.

I bet it ends up being a famous alum, maybe one who doesn't even have head coaching experience. Matt Millen? Someone who can try to restore some sanity there.

yes - UConn would have to let him go. If Penn St wanted him, there are ways to get that done. But, that is a big "if".

There's at least one prominent booster at UCONN who would probably be happy to grease the skids to release PP from his contract.

This is the one type of instance where you need to bring in someone who does not have that emotional attachment to the school. It's the emotional attachment and stupidity that helped create the mess. They need someone who has no prior loyalty to Penn State.

I bet it ends up being a famous alum, maybe one who doesn't even have head coaching experience. Matt Millen? Someone who can try to restore some sanity there.

This or some even holier than thou type like Tony Dungy or Dick Vermeil. I act think Coach P would be a good choice but his loyalties are to UConn at this point. If he was still in the NFL, he'd be the perfect solution right now.

They need a coach to be a fall guy and let the program sit for a few years while this blows over. So Greg Robinson fits perfectly.

Why on earth would any of those guys want this job?

44cuse

I think we should go after Johnson for something... That guy can recruit! Maybe make Anselmo only the Assoc. HC and let Johnson coach the DB's. Or turn Daoust into the ST coach and give DE's to Johnson...