Does this statement by Cantor worry you? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Does this statement by Cantor worry you?

Syracuse vs Duke or UNC...Carrier Dome, College Gameday.

Yeah, no way the AD wants that!

stupid thread

in the ACC they play conference games on campus

Agreed, when was the last time a team moved a conference game to a neutral site -- specifically for ball of course.

The Carrier Dome is one of the most famous basketball venues on the face of the Earth. They aren't moving conference games 4 hours away. She obviously means that we will be playing there in the ACC tourney etc. This isn't football Bees.

stupid thread

in the ACC they play conference games on campus

It's not a stupid thread if it is a question and people respond with answers both ways.

"We are pleased that Syracuse adds a New York City dimension to the ACC, a region in which we have built strong identity and affinity, and we look forward to bringing ACC games to the Big Apple," she said.

I know we will all miss the rivalry with the Gtown's, but also look forward to new ones with the Duke's and UNC's. Does that statement make you wonder if those big games will get moved to MSG? If so, that means we will be trading the Gtown's in the Dome for the Clemson's. Not as exciting. I hope the idea isn't to now drive down Dome attendance at basketball games as they have done with football.

I think she was just driving hope the point of SU being prominent in NYC...and how Syracuse can help deliver the NYC...not matter the merit to the statement.

If they try to move the Duke or UNC game to MSG, her house will be ashes before the last edition of the paper hits the streets.

"We are pleased that Syracuse adds a New York City dimension to the ACC, a region in which we have built strong identity and affinity, and we look forward to bringing ACC games to the Big Apple," she said.

I know we will all miss the rivalry with the Gtown's, but also look forward to new ones with the Duke's and UNC's. Does that statement make you wonder if those big games will get moved to MSG?

No

----------------------

IMO to completely discount the possibility of that quote meaning that future large hoops games could move to MSG with season ticket holders getting an opt-out scenario would be naive. This Athletic Dept., for better or worse, would likely jump at the chance if they imagine such a move as improving the "brand".

I would also not be shocked if we got Under Armor to creat a Maryland-esque uniform with the NYS flag on one side and the NYC skyline on the other side of the helmet with, maybe, a small block "S" on the back. ;)

SUOrange44

I think she was just driving hope the point of SU being prominent in NYC...and how Syracuse can help deliver the NYC...not matter the merit to the statement.

If they try to move the Duke or UNC game to MSG, her house will be ashes before the last edition of the paper hits the streets.

"Her house will be ashes" LOL.

Possible idea? Most bigtime DI programs play at least a couple of serious out of conference games in November or December. The Heels play Kentucky, Michigan State and Texas amongst others this winter.

Why not have each ACC team play one early season OOC game against a major power, at MSG, and consider that a home game.

Yeah, it bites for Carolina to have to play Texas in the City rather than in Chapel Hill. But it certainly brings some cachet to the game. And it gives the wealthier Heels fans whose wives want to shop for $7,500 leather purses a chance to do so, and most definitely builds "affinity" and whatever the other word was that Cantor used between the ACC and the Big Apple.

Make sure these games are played against, say, Top 40 or higher teams. Clemson vs Iowa State won't draw in MSG. Virginia Tech versus UCLA in the Garden? Even though it's Virginia Tech, it'll still draw because UCLA has a magnetic pull.

Everybody has to do it, make it part of the price to pay as a member of the ACC.

That way the Cuse can still sell 35,000 tix for when the Heels or the Rats come to the Carrier Dome, but still play at least once a year in MSG.

Personally I really, really like the tie-in to New York City and the ACC.

UNC's first national championship in 1957 was with Frank McGuire as head coach. He was famous for having a recruiting pipeline into New York City and he brought in all kinds of guys from there down to Chapel Hill to build the Carolina brand. IIRC Larry Brown, Doug Moe, and Donnie Walsh were all City guys who played for McGuire and then later on for a very young Dean Smith.

The New York Times has carried occasional articles about Carolina ever since then.

We're talking the media capital of the Free World aren't we? Then cater to it, and take advantage of it.

Syracuse vs Arizona in the Big Apple.

Pittsburgh vs Stanford (is Stanford any good anymore? I forget)

UNC vs Texas.

dook vs Joe's School of Chiropractic.

Whoops, forgot, they're already scheduled to play them ... :) :)

IMO to completely discount the possibility of that quote meaning that future large hoops games could move to MSG with season ticket holders getting an opt-out scenario would be naive. This Athletic Dept., for better or worse, would likely jump at the chance if they imagine such a move as improving the "brand".

I would also not be shocked if we got Under Armor to creat a Maryland-esque uniform with the NYS flag on one side and the NYC skyline on the other side of the helmet with, maybe, a small block "S" on the back. ;)

SUOrange44

Thank you.

SUOrange44
http://www.nunesmagician.com/2011/9...rm-state-flag-syracuse-iowa-new-york-football
cuseflguni.png

*from bleedgreenandgold97 in the comments.

4c4ae78bab820f40dfcb4ed61cf6c4f3b3eb99c42953e049925b531a2d7e18bf4g.jpg

*from jeepers44

that is some cool sheet.

Those uniform pants are the best thing I have ever seen. And call me crazy but I like the second helmet. We should have donned those for the Pinstripe Bowl.

Those uniform pants are the best thing I have ever seen. And call me crazy but I like the second helmet. We should have donned those for the Pinstripe Bowl.

Yes, that strategically placed eagle, plus the two ladies on the side giving what can only be described as a "hand-job", are kinda gangster!

http://www.nunesmagician.com/2011/9...rm-state-flag-syracuse-iowa-new-york-football
cuseflguni.png

*from bleedgreenandgold97 in the comments.

4c4ae78bab820f40dfcb4ed61cf6c4f3b3eb99c42953e049925b531a2d7e18bf4g.jpg

*from jeepers44
I was kidding when I made the uniform joke. I thought some of the awesome graphic people on the site might pick up the ball and run with it so to speak. No idea they did something like this on the Nunes site...I agree that helmet is sweet looking.

If we ever get a men's hockey team, I'd like to see the "Otto" goalie helmet somebody comes up with.

SUOrange44

SUOrange44
In light of today's article from The Post Standard, would any of the previos nay-sayers like to re-open this discussion ? Very disappointing but by no means a shock. Any truth to the rumor that we will soon be called The University of New York at Syracuse ?

SUOrange44

Here is the article:

Chancellor Cantor's Comments

I posted this on the football board since OE linked the video for the article there, but I will include it in this thread as well.

I am not sure...

1) Syracuse can make as much money playing games in a 20K arena as they can in an arena that holds 34K (or possibly 60K).
2) the administration has thought about the horrific effect this will have on reducing (or likely eliminating entirely) the home court advantage for Syracuse in its most important games (Duke and UNC have huge followings in NYC as well)
3) the administration has considered the effect doing this will have on season ticket sales for the loyal fans that have supported this program with almost unprecedented loyalty and enthusiasm.
4) the administation has considered how horrific it will be to watch a basketball game played at midfield of the Dome. Or again, how drastically this will reduce the home court advantage playing a game where 90% of the fans are 40 yards or more away from the court.

If all this happens as described in the article, there will never be a Duke or UNC game played in the Dome that will be a decent experience for the season ticket holders. I hope this is a just a trial balloon...this might be the single worst idea ever for the Syracuse basketball program.

...for starters, in the money grabbing intent of league expansion, Syracuse had to position itself as being in a major market...Syracuse and upstate New York region is not a major market. Without attachment to NYC, Syracuse would be no better off than WVU..aside from academics, etc, etc. Strategically, this attachment to NYC is/was very intelligent and good for SU to be recognized as the NYC college...beating out Rutgirls and CT...
Insofar as playing a few games a year in the Big Apple...go for it and I will gladly travel from Florida to be there...it is not as if we were not playing games at Madison Square Arena...now we will hopefully play some of our rivals from the BE and throw in a game or two against key foes in ACC once in a while...Bball will be good for us...Football playing in the Giant stadium will be overwhelming favorable for 'Cuse.

Wow. Looks like IB, garbs, cuseman, bayside and about 5 others owe some serious "you're out of your mind bees" apologies. :) paranoid? Nope. Spot on

geeze bees, paranoid? Agree with Bayside, she was yapping. Can't see them moving home games to NYC on the hoops side. A few football games in the Meadowlands and you come unraveled

Yea, I became unraveled.

i'll start that paper drive,you bring the matches

Agree with Jake, and I doubt it happens but if that is/was the price to pay for an extra $9 mil a year and to remain relevant in the college sports landscape then so be it.

I think the dome for hoops is top notch especially big games, but for football not so much

Eh...we will see. I get playing some football games against opponents that otherwise would not go to the Dome for football - esp in a cash poor Big East. That does not seem to be as big a deal now. I would hope that we draw better at home for the middle of the ACC pack than we do against the Cincy and USF types.

She still sounds like she is running at the mouth - and probably threw the kitchen sink at Swofford to get the bid.

SUOrange44

See the SJU uniforms in the Felipe Lopez era. No bueno... :eek:

I could care less where they play Duke or UNC in basketball, as long as the checks clear. The only thing that matters in college basketball is the tournament, call me in mid March, the rest is irrelevant. The only thing I remember from the 2009 team is how good Wes and Andy were but that AO got hurt and we lost before we would have had he been healthy... Final fours are what matter, not where you play a 1 conference game a year. If this is what pushed us into the ACC and not being in the situation the rest of the Big East is in then fine.. Like I said, I could care less. As many big basketball fans don't care about football, I don't worry about SU basketball as long as we make the tournament because that is when I will travel and that is what matters when you are an elite program... Again, Cantor is not talking about 4-5 games a year, she is talking about one, BFD. Get over it. Just like the football games, pack youyr bags and make the drive and have some fun. Get out of Syracuse for a GD night

People don't like it for basketball, cancel your seasons and I will continue to upgrade. SU athletics as in a death spiral until two weeks ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom