Dome as NCAA site? | Syracusefan.com

Dome as NCAA site?

OrlandoCuse

Living Legend
Last time we hosted a NCAA regional was 2015. We used to do it on a seemingly regular frequency every 5 years or so. Nothing on the horizon through 2026. Is there a reason we’ve stopped bids to host? Is it due to not wanting to eliminate the East from a prospective region for the team if they make the tournament? Or was it a financial decision (not enough revenue for the school)?

Wildhack addressed it in this Syracuse.com Q&A a couple years back. SU did bid, but did not get selected. Mentioned how the site selection committee liked bigger markets for the regional finals.

I know there were a lot of complaints from outside fans about the Dome in 2015. Would have to imagine that given all the renovations, we’d be more attractive to possible host at least first and second round games in the future now.

You just saw UConn slide into the sweet 16 from a 2 hour drive to Albany...

We pulled off our natty doing the same.
I guess, but there’s clearly been a change in hosting philosophy

Here’s our history:
NCAA first/second rounds - 86, 87, 91, 93
East Regional Finals - 83, 97, 00, 02, 05, 10, 15

So 11 times in the first 35 years of the Dome (basically once every 3 years) to what is now not hosting for at least 12 years. Seems like a clear change of philosophy.

I guess, but there’s clearly been a change in hosting philosophy

Here’s our history:
NCAA first/second rounds - 86, 87, 91, 93
East Regional Finals - 83, 97, 00, 02, 05, 10, 15

So 11 times in the first 35 years of the Dome (basically once every 3 years) to what is now not hosting for at least 12 years. Seems like a clear change of philosophy.
It makes no sense to me. They were all well attended too. I heard that there was an issue with hotel rooms. If I recall the press had issues with a lack of space in the dome for some reason. I don’t know how it’s an issue regarding space since we only use about half the dome for basketball.

Not enough hotels within walking distance.

Not enough parking within walking distance. Shuttle busses are frowned upon by the NCAA.

Not enough media space for press conferences.
On Friday, Albany ran shuttle busses from UAlbany due to limited downtown parking with state workers/St Patrick's Day/NCAA. It actually worked great.

I never got confirmation where the eight teams stayed but one article said they stayed in three counties, which I took to mean Albany, Rensselaer and Saratoga counties.

So, maybe if Syracuse can check off more boxes in other categories they have a chance. I always felt what hurt is when they would schedule Syracuse at another site but playing at the same time as the Dome games. Tough to complete.

On Friday, Albany ran shuttle busses from UAlbany due to limited downtown parking with state workers/St Patrick's Day/NCAA. It actually worked great.

I never got confirmation where the eight teams stayed but one article said they stayed in three counties, which I took to mean Albany, Rensselaer and Saratoga counties.

So, maybe if Syracuse can check off more boxes in other categories they have a chance. I always felt what hurt is when they would schedule Syracuse at another site but playing at the same time as the Dome games. Tough to complete.

Centro didn't have enough shuttle busses to handle the Manley run a bunch of times this season.

SU had to rely on either school busses or motor coaches from a third party. Busses with only 1 door and a very narrow aisle. Takes absolutely forever to load and unload.

Centro didn't have enough shuttle busses to handle the Manley run a bunch of times this season.

SU had to rely on either school busses or motor coaches from a third party. Busses with only 1 door and a very narrow aisle. Takes absolutely forever to load and unload.
CDTA was using those extended busses. It worked great. And it works great in Buffalo also that you can take their train down to to the arena all the way from Amherst. It's nice not to deal with traffic and parking.
cdta-bus-outside-nys-capitol.jpg

Went as a student in 2015… was fine for me back then haha

CDTA was using those extended busses. It worked great. And it works great in Buffalo also that you can take their train down to to the arena all the way from Amherst. It's nice not to deal with traffic and parking.View attachment 226192

Is that duct tape, or the bus work like an inchworm where the front part moves, and the rear part catches up?

Not enough parking within walking distance. Shuttle busses are frowned upon by the NCAA.

I'm not sure the shuttling has anything to do with it as a number of venues shuttle. I think this has been more internal than NCAA driven - the NCAA doesn't care about anything but the money. Media and fan complaints factor in but are far down the list.

SU is facing two challenges in my opinion - new arenas have popped up and make ours look old and outdated. Two it's a lot of work and $ for SU to host, and I don't think they want to do it (especially the $ part).

Next big problem is going to be hotel inventory. You need 5 higher end properties and we don't have that many (and really never have as they used a Holiday Inn in Liverpool last time), and the hotels that they have used in previous years are shaky.

I'm not sure the shuttling has anything to do with it as a number of venues shuttle. I think this has been more internal than NCAA driven - the NCAA doesn't care about anything but the money. Media and fan complaints factor in but are far down the list.

SU is facing two challenges in my opinion - new arenas have popped up and make ours look old and outdated. Two it's a lot of work and $ for SU to host, and I don't think they want to do it (especially the $ part).

Next big problem is going to be hotel inventory. You need 5 higher end properties and we don't have that many (and really never have as they used a Holiday Inn in Liverpool last time), and the hotels that they have used in previous years are shaky.
You’d have to think Micron starts attracting some business hotels to the area.

I suspect if SU were to reenter the top twenty five on even a semi regular basis, and the dome was packed as it used to be, the NCAA site selection committee would be reaching out to the University and local government to make sure whatever concerns they had about transportation and lodging were addressed to the extent that they would once again choose the dome as a regional host.

As Al Davis used to say, "Just win baby." The rest will then take care of itself. Guaranteed!

Bingo, take a look at this weekend. Mostly at relatively new NBA/NHL style arena's in bigger cities.

Go back to the 80s and before that and games were often played on various campuses and in smaller venues. This weekend, I don't know if any games were played on a college campus. The event has moved to bigger cities and newer arenas for the most part with exception here and there.

I suspect if SU were to reenter the top twenty five on even a semi regular basis, and the dome was packed as it used to be, the NCAA site selection committee would be reaching out to the University and local government to make sure whatever concerns they had about transportation and lodging were addressed to the extent that they would once again choose the dome as a regional host.

As Al Davis used to say, "Just win baby." The rest will then take care of itself. Guaranteed!
I'm not sure I really follow the success of the program when securing a Regional Final? We won't play here and the Dome does not compare to Vegas, MSG and the Yum, and next year it's all NBA venues I believe.

I think the size of the venue is a detriment too. Lots of empty seats at these things and as we know the Dome sounds dead when its crows is small.

You’d have to think Micron starts attracting some business hotels to the area.
Hotel Syracuse wasn't operating 8 years ago, neither was the Marriott downtown. There's the new embassy near the mall, plus another one on the lakefront area.

But, yeah, there's a new push for arenas and fewer on college campuses.

Add in Cuse March weather to the mix and yeah

Individual seating will enhance their chances. The new expansion could serve the media and open up the backcourt.

Agreed. For two reasons: comfort and supply. Reducing capacity will help mitigate the empty-seat effect for an event that hasn't been a hot ticket for years. And individual seats will overcome the complaint that the Dome is lacking compared to peer arenas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom