Dome as NCAA site? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dome as NCAA site?

I think its just the NCAA really likes the larger cities, and them getting into MSG has probably changed the equation as well.

Off the top of my head, it basically seems like the East regionals are now rotating between Boston, NYC (Barclays and MSG), Philly, and Washington.

Checking the future sites, next year is Boston, then Newark (close enough), and DC. Last year was Philly. 2020 was gonna be MSG, but, you know. Prior years you had DC, Boston, MSG, Philly, then the Dome in 2015. They did the dome in 2010 as well, but in between it was the same rotation of the major cities.

If you can get into NBA arenas in major cities, kinda seems like an obvious call to me.

I guess, but there’s clearly been a change in hosting philosophy

Here’s our history:
NCAA first/second rounds - 86, 87, 91, 93
East Regional Finals - 83, 97, 00, 02, 05, 10, 15

So 11 times in the first 35 years of the Dome (basically once every 3 years) to what is now not hosting for at least 12 years. Seems like a clear change of philosophy.
Dome in 86: dislike
Dome in 87: like

That’s why we couldn’t get a final 4.

Authorities and high level decision makers are good with PR and spin. I'm not implying that those aforementioned issues weren't contributing factors. Although, I doubt that it was the most significant.

With all due respect, the truth is, Syracuse, NY is not a 'destination' city. And, all of the nice enhancements and improvements to the Dome, etc. isn't ever changing that fact.

You’d have to think Micron starts attracting some business hotels to the area.
Based on what I’ve read, hotels are lower down the list than other certain progressive initiatives.

Authorities and high level decision makers are good with PR and spin. I'm not implying that those aforementioned issues weren't contributing factors. Although, I doubt that it was the most significant.

With all due respect, the truth is, Syracuse, NY is not a 'destination' city. And, all of the nice enhancements and improvements to the Dome, etc. isn't ever changing that fact.
No reason we can’t be a first round site at minimum. Albany isn’t some glamour city.

No reason we can’t be a first round site at minimum. Albany isn’t some glamour city.

Of course we can. But getting something like that is a far cry from getting the Supermodel (FF) which was the premise in which I replied too. ;)

I think it will be back after the renovations, sort of how the NFL gives cities with new stadiums a Super Bowl. One thing that for certain hurts us though is how the NCAA went away from domes hosting 1st/2nd round sites because they looked so empty on TV. Makes it Regionals or bust for us.

Yeah, I understand why they haven’t been doing the regional finals at the Dome.

But what about round 1 and 2?
Just a guess. Dome is too big for a first/second round matcups. I think more people usually travel to the regionals than the first round matchups and there would be a ton of open seats. Just a thought

Just a guess. Dome is too big for a first/second round matcups. I think more people usually travel to the regionals than the first round matchups and there would be a ton of open seats. Just a thought
Ah, that’s a good point! Didn’t think of that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom