Dome Atmosphere | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dome Atmosphere

Then don't schedule all the big OOC games that far out.

I wouldn't presume to know more than Dr. Gross about how to schedule series with the big boys. It seems as though schools in SU's position may have a hard time getting equitable terms for OOC series with big programs without resorting to such schemes. This isn't the mid-90s when SU was an attractive opponent for schools like Texas, Florida, Auburn, Tenn, etc. Even back then, we were scheduling 8-10 years out with those programs.

Not that I would use them as a barometer, but Rutgers has had to go to other venues (Meadowlands and Yankee Stadium) to attract big names too.

JJReddawg said:
The Meadowlands games are big recruiting tools, playing big time opponents on the big stage. I'd prefer they set it up as a home-away-neutral, but those occurrences will be few and far between.​
I agree with you 100%. The only problem is when it's a west coast team like USC and having them travel 2 out of 3 times.

That's a fair point that I never really considered. If reserved for cases of extreme travel, I'd be OK with a Dome-away-Meadowlands-away series. Can't think of many teams besides USC that I'd offer that deal to though --- maybe home-away-east coast neutral-west coast neutral would be a better compromise.

Penn State is home - away - neutral.

There will be 10 more games at the Meadowlands after the PSU game. Hopefully they'll all be three game series as well.
The Orange will play at the Meadowlands in 4 of the next 5 seasons.

It's a shame that the ND series couldn't have been 2 in South Bend, 1 in the Dome and 1 (or 2) at the Meadowlands.
The Meadowland games are treated as home games for the Orange.

2013 will be a tricky year... it looks like there will only be 5 games in the Dome that year. Ugh.
Those 5 are Cincinnati, Rutgers, WVU, USF and one TBA (Duke has been rumored). That season kicks off against PSU at the Meadowlands (on Aug 31st) and then heads to Northwestern. Expect the game at BCU to be Nov 30th.

I wouldn't presume to know more than Dr. Gross about how to schedule series with the big boys. It seems as though schools in SU's position may have a hard time getting equitable terms for OOC series with big programs without resorting to such schemes. This isn't the mid-90s when SU was an attractive opponent for schools like Texas, Florida, Auburn, Tenn, etc. Even back then, we were scheduling 8-10 years out with those programs.

Not that I would use them as a barometer, but Rutgers has had to go to other venues (Meadowlands and Yankee Stadium) to attract big names too.

Rutgers has PSU, Miami and UCLA coming to their place. UConn has Tennessee and Michigan. Pitt has Notre Dame, Va Tech and PSU. Louisville has UNC.

The Orange will play at the Meadowlands in 4 of the next 5 seasons.

It's a shame that the ND series couldn't have been 2 in South Bend, 1 in the Dome and 1 (or 2) at the Meadowlands.
The Meadowland games are treated as home games for the Orange.

2013 will be a tricky year... it looks like there will only be 5 games in the Dome that year. Ugh.
Those 5 are Cincinnati, Rutgers, WVU, USF and one TBA (Duke has been rumored). That season kicks off against PSU at the Meadowlands (on Aug 31st) and then heads to Northwestern. Expect the game at BCU to be Nov 30th.
ugh that 2013 is gonna be a monster... Must win at home, even in front of the 25,000 we will probably get for every game save WVU

Rutgers has PSU, Miami and UCLA coming to their place. UConn has Tennessee and Michigan. Pitt has Notre Dame, Va Tech and PSU. Louisville has UNC.

Good point. I guess all I can say to that is: Rutgers, UConn, Pitt and Louisville have all done much better in the past 10 years. UConn went to a BCS game last year. Pitt is playing ND in a pro stadium off campus, and Pitt has a history of hosting ND. I saw ND play in Pitt back in 1990 or 91. Louisville playing UNC? We just played Wake.

I wish more of those type of games were being scheduled for the dome, but I don't think SU has the negotiating power to pull that off right now. I certainly don't think Dr. Gross is trying to offend the 25,000 fans in CNY.

Good point. I guess all I can say to that is: Rutgers, UConn, Pitt and Louisville have all done much better in the past 10 years. UConn went to a BCS game last year. Pitt is playing ND in a pro stadium off campus, and Pitt has a history of hosting ND. I saw ND play in Pitt back in 1990 or 91. Louisville playing UNC? We just played Wake.

I wish more of those type of games were being scheduled for the dome, but I don't think SU has the negotiating power to pull that off right now. I certainly don't think Dr. Gross is trying to offend the 25,000 fans in CNY.

I don't think good teams mind playing at bad teams. I really feel we could get some good teams here if we wanted to, we just don't want too. There may also be a few where the payout guarantee is too high. But it wouldn't be too high if we had more fans. Chicken and egg issue.

You may be right that SU doesn't want to. I hope that isn't the case. Whatever the reason is right now if the program continues to improve I would find it very difficult to understand the kind of scheduling we have right now if it continued.

You may be right that SU doesn't want to. I hope that isn't the case. Whatever the reason is right now if the program continues to improve I would find it very difficult to understand the kind of scheduling we have right now if it continued.

When I say don't want to, I mean they want to place those games in NYC.

I haven't.

Better results and a more attractive product will get the Dome full again. These things will take several consecutive solid recruiting classes. In short, it will take a few more years if HCDM is allowed to succeed. One has to be optimistic at this point that the program is moving in the right direction.

Agreed. To say that the Dome atmosphere will never be what it was is just plain silly.

I don't think good teams mind playing at bad teams. I really feel we could get some good teams here if we wanted to, we just don't want too. There may also be a few where the payout guarantee is too high. But it wouldn't be too high if we had more fans. Chicken and egg issue.

I very much agree with this. Believe me, I very much wish SU could fill the Dome for every home game and get these teams to play there, although selfishly, I am happy about the Meadowlands games because it's a pretty easy drive for me and I will have my whole family there and probably more, including in-laws and parents and some extended family.

I had no problem with the first 5 games over 10 years, but when he extended them out to what is it now 2038 I was very disappointed, implies that he does not expect to ever come all the way back (to me at least). I was there for the Nebraska game, it was awesome, but it seems TGD is taking that type opportunity away from the fans, the players and the coaches, I nearly gave up my season tickets when that was announced, but I kept them for now at least For the next 20 years New Yorks Team gas home games in Jersey...not a big fan of that. Implies this is the best value we will be to sign a big deal from a negotiating standpoint, even if it was the thing to do, if you believe the program will improve, wouldnt it be more valuable later? But he signed for games after he is likely retired

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom