Dome Renovations... What Would You Do? | Syracusefan.com

Dome Renovations... What Would You Do?

Faegan

All Conference
Pretend there is no stadium and we will be renovating the dome and will stay another 10-15 years.

What would you prioritize?

I would say:

Get rid of the bleacher style seating. Add real seats.

Do something to improve the lighting. (I don't think the two are unrelated - reflections off of unused silver seating probably adds to poor reflected light.)

Maybe someone with a lot of interior pics could post them so we can all visualize the existing space?

Locker rooms before anything.

That's being done as we speak, is it not? Or do you mean team locker rooms in the dome?

And I was actually referring to fan experience, although I do appreciate the importance of nice dome locker rooms for recruiting.

Seats would be good but would reduce the capacity so I am fine with bleachers. It's a college stadium and lots of them still have bleachers. However, I won't complain if they replace by bleacher with regular seats... except that will probably come with a hike in season tickets.

I'd say add some space along the sides of the dome to improve food courts, lounges, etc. This could be built as a second story space and therefore you could still have room to walk around outside the dome to get to your gate. Make it a little more inviting and give people places do go during 1/2 time etc.

I'd like a/c but it would probably never rise to a high enough priority level given the climate. The stated cost of installing is $7M and so that might be better served on some other area.

Really crazy...if there is a way to retro-fit a retractable roof, I'd be for that...but likely cost-prohibitive as cost would be in hundreds of millions.

Well, I can't comment on the locker rooms as I've never seen them.

I'd go with:
1) Real seats on the lower level and upper level sidelines only, as well as the West end zone lower level (Orange)
2) Replace the remaining silver aluminum seating with orange benches -- or paint if that's possible.
3) Wrap-around electronic messaging
4) Find some genius who can figure out a way to focus the lighting for basketball more on the court itself, and diffuse the lighting on the seats
5) Raise the height of the scaffolding behind the rolling bleachers for basketball so that the TV camera can view the court from a slightly higher angle. (I know, it shouldn't bug me, but it does.) This would make the court look SO much better, as well as slightly reduce the unnecessary view of the fans in the background.
6) Install a large "S" on the Dome roof, so that when the sun is shining during an SU football game, the block "S" casts a shadow on the turf. (Could be a "44" if you prefer.)
7) All ushers would be friendly, attractive women in sexy outfits, and the beer venders would be women dressed in orange cocktail waitress outfits. (Hey, a guy can dream, can't he?)

rca-dome-implosion.JPG

Very good suggestions. I do think that a second story could be added to concessions. Better lighting is a must and painting the benches orange or blue would be a big lift. AV high def screens for sure and make the locker rooms in the dome first class

Well, I can't comment on the locker rooms as I've never seen them.

I'd go with:
1) Real seats on the lower level and upper level sidelines only, as well as the West end zone lower level (Orange)
2) Replace the remaining silver aluminum seating with orange benches -- or paint if that's possible.
3) Wrap-around electronic messaging
4) Find some genius who can figure out a way to focus the lighting for basketball more on the court itself, and diffuse the lighting on the seats
5) Raise the height of the scaffolding behind the rolling bleachers for basketball so that the TV camera can view the court from a slightly higher angle. (I know, it shouldn't bug me, but it does.) This would make the court look SO much better, as well as slightly reduce the unnecessary view of the fans in the background.
6) Install a large "S" on the Dome roof, so that when the sun is shining during an SU football game, the block "S" casts a shadow on the turf. (Could be a "44" if you prefer.)
7) All ushers would be friendly, attractive women in sexy outfits, and the beer venders would be women dressed in orange cocktail waitress outfits. (Hey, a guy can dream, can't he?)

Your #6 is an awesome idea.

Put in a brewpub with outdoor patio. Or has anyone been to a 'World of Beer'?? Place is great. Put in one of those.

I like the idea of focusing the lighting on the court and killing the lighting on the rest of the bowl - obviously one of the cooler aspects of the Garden and the Staples Center.

Build a big, glass annex on the west end of the building. Adorn it with a grand entrance like the old arch/stairs at Archbold and fill it with: preferred parking/bus parking, upgraded kitchen facilities, modern locker rooms, modern press facilities, and expanded fan amenities on each concourse level (with sweet views into the entrance hall and through the curtain wall into the valley and downtown).

Also, maybe build an annex onto the north side of the building for some proper football coaching boxes. The current ones are bush-league, and a waste of a couple dozen good seats on the south side of the field.

1.) Locker Rooms are the biggest need, they're cringe-worthy.
2.) New video and scoreboards and ribbon banners (hey, this is happening!)
3.) More Orange. The stuff that was done when DG got here is a good start (based on what I've seen from pictures from before), but there's still too much concrete. Paint the bleachers Orange.
4.) I love the S on the Dome idea, I was actually just talking about that with someone while we were in the Dome a few days ago.
5.) Big Banners of SU greats on the outside of the Dome
6.) Not a renovation...but move the basketball student section to the side. I know why it moved originally, we can fill it now with ease.

As long as we're dreaming...

1. Replace current roof with retractable one
2. Spice up the outside of the dome to make it more attractive (colorful, modern)
3. Much bigger jumbotrons
4. Replace bleachers with orange seats in the first and second levels
5. Paint remaining bleachers orange
6. As a result of 3-5, decrease seating capacity to 44,044
7. Digital scoreboards / ribbons (currently in progress?)
8. Recruit attractive dance team members (full ride scholarships)
9. Improve parking situation somehow, someway

Paint all the concrete around the upper levels Orange. To this day I do not understand why that hasn't been done. The visual impact would be impressive.

I like the idea of focusing the lighting on the court and killing the lighting on the rest of the bowl - obviously one of the cooler aspects of the Garden and the Staples Center.

Build a big, glass annex on the west end of the building. Adorn it with a grand entrance like the old arch/stairs at Archbold and fill it with: preferred parking/bus parking, upgraded kitchen facilities, modern locker rooms, modern press facilities, and expanded fan amenities on each concourse level (with sweet views into the entrance hall and through the curtain wall into the valley and downtown).

Also, maybe build an annex onto the north side of the building for some proper football coaching boxes. The current ones are bush-league, and a waste of a couple dozen good seats on the south side of the field.
I second the annex on the west side of the Dome. There is a lot of congestion in the hallways of the Dome. It is uncomfortable to walk around, there isn't adequate space for customers buying things from the concession stands, and there is no room to just stand around, talk with friends, walk a bored child, stretch your legs, etc. You really notice it when you visit other venues, where the aisles are twice as wide and there are large open areas every so often.

Glad that we are finally getting ribbon scoreboards. Hope that the staff chooses to use them for things fans care about:

For basketball, there should be real time breakdowns for each team of 2 FG, 3 FG, FT shooting, rebounds broken out by offensive and defensive rebounds, we should see assists, turnovers, steals, all that stuff should be available for review at any time.

For football, we should be able to see rushes, rushing yards,rushing TDs, rushing YPG, passes attempted, passes completed, yards passing, passing TDs, interceptions, first downs, total yards, penalties, penalty yards, leading rushers, leading receivers, sacks, etc. For both teams. Available at all times.

And we should be able to see all out of town scores. In legible typeset. Updated in near real time.

Handled properly, ribbon scoreboards can be a real boon to the fan experience. I worry they are going to abuse this horribly like they have the use of PA, and we are going to be assaulted by blicking garish glow in the dark colored advertisements all the time. Hope that they also maintain them, unlike what they did with the auxiliary scoreboards at the Dome, which feature so many washed out or no functioning bulbs that they are almost useless.

Hope the new replay scoreboards are of decent quality and a decent size. The original ones were really bad. Hope someone competent is hired to supervise content on them as well. They did a poor job with the original ones. Showing out of town scores in tiny font almost no one could read was not a good move.

I second the annex on the west side of the Dome. There is a lot of congestion in the hallways of the Dome. It is uncomfortable to walk around, there isn't adequate space for customers buying things from the concession stands, and there is no room to just stand around, talk with friends, walk a bored child, stretch your legs, etc. You really notice it when you visit other venues, where the aisles are twice as wide and there are large open areas every so often.

Glad that we are finally getting ribbon scoreboards. Hope that the staff chooses to use them for things fans care about:

For basketball, there should be real time breakdowns for each team of 2 FG, 3 FG, FT shooting, rebounds broken out by offensive and defensive rebounds, we should see assists, turnovers, steals, all that stuff should be available for review at any time.

For football, we should be able to see rushes, rushing yards,rushing TDs, rushing YPG, passes attempted, passes completed, yards passing, passing TDs, interceptions, first downs, total yards, penalties, penalty yards, leading rushers, leading receivers, sacks, etc. For both teams. Available at all times.

And we should be able to see all out of town scores. In legible typeset. Updated in near real time.

Handled properly, ribbon scoreboards can be a real boon to the fan experience. I worry they are going to abuse this horribly like they have the use of PA, and we are going to be assaulted by blicking garish glow in the dark colored advertisements all the time. Hope that they also maintain them, unlike what they did with the auxiliary scoreboards at the Dome, which feature so many washed out or no functioning bulbs that they are almost useless.

Hope the new replay scoreboards are of decent quality and a decent size. The original ones were really bad. Hope someone competent is hired to supervise content on them as well. They did a poor job with the original ones. Showing out of town scores in tiny font almost no one could read was not a good move.

The new replay boards aren't going to be significantly bigger from what I heard, but a decent amount longer and better quality.

I second the annex on the west side of the Dome.

The Detroit Pistons did this with the Palace, adding atriums to both sides of the arena. One of the oldest arenas in the NBA and still one of the best.

274875000-22093542.jpg

We all have to remember the dome is simply a shell. Over time it can be gutted, a new soft roof can be added along with an upper level. I have heard that the foundation would not be able to support a hard retractable roof but i have also heard that it could support another level. Long term a new level could be added that would provide anything from additional seating to concessions.

Hope they don't overspend on Dome locker rooms. They are ugly, but considering they are used once a week, if that, they shouldn't be a high priority and they certainly dont need drastic changes.

Hope they don't overspend on Dome locker rooms. They are ugly, but considering they are used once a week, if that, they shouldn't be a high priority and they certainly dont need drastic changes.

Just make them so they don't hurt recruiting!

More Tubas! AKA bigger band. Less piped in 80's music and more band play for the authentic college game feel and actual crowd enjoyment. Could we even have dueling bands sitting across the field from one another? I long for the SSSSSSSSSSSS UUUUUUUUU chants from opposite ends of the stadium.

Pretend there is no stadium and we will be renovating the dome and will stay another 10-15 years.

What would you prioritize?

I would say:

Get rid of the bleacher style seating. Add real seats.

Do something to improve the lighting. (I don't think the two are unrelated - reflections off of unused silver seating probably adds to poor reflected light.)

Maybe someone with a lot of interior pics could post them so we can all visualize the existing space?

Somehow add 10,000 seats.

Love the dimming of the lights idea - that is one of the cooler aspects of the Garden.

As long as we're dreaming...

1. Replace current roof with retractable one
2. Spice up the outside of the dome to make it more attractive (colorful, modern)
3. Much bigger jumbotrons
4. Replace bleachers with orange seats in the first and second levels
5. Paint remaining bleachers orange
6. As a result of 3-5, decrease seating capacity to 44,044
7. Digital scoreboards / ribbons (currently in progress?)
8. Recruit attractive dance team members (full ride scholarships)
9. Improve parking situation somehow, someway

If only we could install a retractable roof.

It would be great.