Dome Renovations... What Would You Do? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dome Renovations... What Would You Do?

One obvious need is another elevator, just for the people who work there - moving stuff all the way around the dome to get up a flight of stairs.

Hope they don't overspend on Dome locker rooms. They are ugly, but considering they are used once a week, if that, they shouldn't be a high priority and they certainly dont need drastic changes.
Good point still might not be bad for the HS kids during playoffs. Agreed though make the practice locker room top shelf

What about moving the lockers in the football wing into the locker room in the dome? Not sure if the locker room in the dome is big enough

The Detroit Pistons did this with the Palace, adding atriums to both sides of the arena. One of the oldest arenas in the NBA and still one of the best.

274875000-22093542.jpg

The atrium at Lambeau field is pretty unbelievable as well and has added a lot to that experience. I know that the Packers are a second rate organization who is far inferior to your Detroit Lions, who were so mercilessly screwed against the cheaters from New Orleans, so we probably shouldn't model it after them though. ;)

Gut the concourses and expand them. This would probably necessitate taking several rows of seating out, which is fine.

Install chair back seating for the entire lower level and between the 30s up top.

This should get football capacity down to 45-46K. This is also fine.

Install a new lighting system. The place looks lousy on TV for football.

Paint every inch of concrete, or cover it with fabric.

That's my start.

bring back the cannon, bring back the Saltine Warrior on horse, pretty and talented Cleaders, Double the size of the Marching band. Set aside 10k seats for the students and let them in free. Hand out Blue and orange hankies for all of us to waive. No sitting until we get a first down just like bball and the basket.

Paint the visitors' locker room pink with flowers and unicorns.

The atrium at Lambeau field is pretty unbelievable as well and has added a lot to that experience. I know that the Packers are a second rate organization who is far inferior to your Detroit Lions, who were so mercilessly screwed against the cheaters from New Orleans, so we probably shouldn't model it after them though. ;)

Bastards.

Gut the concourses and expand them. This would probably necessitate taking several rows of seating out, which is fine.

Install chair back seating for the entire lower level and between the 30s up top.

This should get football capacity down to 45-46K. This is also fine.

Install a new lighting system. The place looks lousy on TV for football.

Paint every inch of concrete, or cover it with fabric.

That's my start.

Turn the heat all the way up all year and turn that place into a sauna year-round.

Turn the heat all the way up all year and turn that place into a sauna year-round.
Put in a wall of fame on each end of the dome (one end for B-ball and one end for football). Huge, well-lit photos of the SU greats looking down on the field would inspire and distract from all the bare concrete. Also, it would update the Ernie Davis and Jim Brown banners in the corners now. They look like they haven't been touched let alone cleaned since they were installed.

I second the annex on the west side of the Dome. There is a lot of congestion in the hallways of the Dome. It is uncomfortable to walk around, there isn't adequate space for customers buying things from the concession stands, and there is no room to just stand around, talk with friends, walk a bored child, stretch your legs, etc. You really notice it when you visit other venues, where the aisles are twice as wide and there are large open areas every so often.

Surprised nobody else mentioned this. The only upside to the football team's mediocrity has been plenty of legroom and access to concessions. There is plenty of space on the west side of the Dome to expand the pedestrian footprint - so if the administration wants to obsess over land that is not a performing asset - well, that parcel facing 81 is a good place to start. The remaining perimeter space is limited to a few parking spaces, so might as well annex that pavement anyway. There's enough room to drive in steel piles to support a third level for concessions and some additional seating to make up for the conversion to individual seats.

Hope the new replay scoreboards are of decent quality and a decent size.

LED technology is lightweight -- there's no excuse not to have a semi-permanent LED screen that could be erected during basketball season right behind the pullout section. Media scaffolding, video board, blue curtain stacked in that order. For basketball games in particular, the Dome is a "silver horseshoe". Instead of trying to minimize that effect with a curtain, we draw attention to it with an IPad display in the far endzone, and then we dress it up with advertising so big Ray Charles could see it.

bring back the Saltine Warrior on horse

I prefer Otto on a horse. Only instead of a horse, a dairy cow. Otto can reenact the pregame in Tallahassee with their fake Seminole, shooting a rubber bow-and-arrow towards the midfield S, only missing horribly and hitting the opposing mascot.

That should lighten the crowd's mood to lessen the impending boos throughout each game.

For basketball games in particular, the Dome is a "silver horseshoe". Instead of trying to minimize that effect with a curtain, we draw attention to it with an IPad display in the far endzone, and then we dress it up with advertising so big Ray Charles could see it.

So...you're opposed to the Blue Curtain? I'm confused.

Um
... don't they do that early September already?

A few more...

Get something that doesn't look like a printed out piece of paper as the retired 44 jersey.

Update the championship banners. The Pinstripe bowl one looks awesome, the others are super dated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Orange shag.
That would work well...it would also absorb the sound so that when the fans get too loud, it won't be so doggone annoying!

4.) I love the S on the Dome idea, I was actually just talking about that with someone while we were in the Dome a few days ago.
Didn't want to name drop? I'm offended.

The lighting please for the love of god. Its not that bad in person but if you ever watch a night football game especially through TW HD or non HD it looks like were playing half a mile underground in a WW2 Era bunker.

A retractable roof and an addition in the dome are not possible from what I heard but I agree with others who have mentioned gutting the concourse area and expanding it. Trying to walk through the hallways is a nightmare with under 40,000 people there, god help us if we ever get to the high 40's on a regular basis. Also we should expand the concession options and concession stands. Why we dont have a Dino, Gianelli Sausage or even a Tullys stand is beyond me. The food at the dome is way outdated and frankly not that good.

Also even though they have done some of this for baskeball season they should over a few stands with NY beers and wines. We have hundreds of wineries less then an hour away on Seneca, Cayuga, Keuka and Geneva lakes, SU could be making fortune selling them by the glass.

Out of town and local scores would also be great and please pay a student so they are real time and not an hour behind. I cant tell you how many times they flash a score across that one scoreboard for a split second that is so far behind its laughable.

Why we dont have a Dino, Gianelli Sausage or even a Tullys stand is beyond me. The food at the dome is way outdated and frankly not that good.

I can't imagine the bathroom lines if there was a Tully's stand. Tully's and my stomach have a love/hate relationship and I'm sure I'm not alone on that.