Don Waful has missed three Syracuse home games since 1945 | Syracusefan.com

Don Waful has missed three Syracuse home games since 1945

This is what sport is all about. This is tradition, love for the game, dedication. The man served and was a prisoner of war, but makes Syracuse football a major priority in life. There are few things that connect humans in life as powerfully and poetically as sport. What an amazing story.

After a suspenseful beginning, I was let down by the second half of this sentence:

"In his five years at Syracuse, the Orange mustered just five points against rival Colgate in their annual meetings — a field goal and a safety. "

I was rooting for a layup, a dunk, and a free throw.

He even went to the 1993 Temple game? Now I feel shame. It's the one home game in my 7+ years of college at SU that I missed. Decided to go on a road trip to see a friend at JMU instead.

Nice story. His, not mine.

Someday I'd like to knock on his door and ask for an order of hash browns scattered, smothered, covered, and peppered.

He'd probably shoot me.
If he's not into it maybe go next door to Roscoe's.

That's an awesome story. The "reverse center" season must have been interesting.

The "reverse center" was the brainchild of HC Ossie Solem.

Ken Beehner was the center.

When I was nine years old - sitting in Archbold Stadium during the 1968 season - my dad pointed Mr. Beehner out to me and told me the story of the reverse center - how unique and effective it was - and why it was almost immediately banished from the game.

Another SU Football Legend - the "reverse center".

I am pretty sure that Don Waful was a long time member of the Syracuse Chiefs Board of Directors - back in the days when the Tribe was the farm club for the Detroit Tigers and then the Yankees.

Great story about a great fan!

The "reverse center" was the brainchild of HC Ossie Solem.

Ken Beehner was the center.

When I was nine years old - sitting in Archbold Stadium during the 1968 season - my dad pointed Mr. Beehner out to me and told me the story of the reverse center - how unique and effective it was - and why it was almost immediately banished from the game.

Another SU Football Legend - the "reverse center".

I am pretty sure that Don Waful was a long time member of the Syracuse Chiefs Board of Directors - back in the days when the Tribe was the farm club for the Detroit Tigers and then the Yankees.

Great story about a great fan!
My feeble brain is struggling to understand how the reverse center aids the offense. What did they do exactly?

My feeble brain is struggling to understand how the reverse center aids the offense. What did they do exactly?

Somehow by facing the backs the reverse center was able to get of the line of scrimmage more quickly and pull in either direction more effectively.

It worked and was quickly banned.

Here is more on Ken Beehner and the role of the reverse center.
Ken Beehner Reverse Center.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DTCSEC

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom