Dont ever mess with Chewy | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Dont ever mess with Chewy

At dissimilar rates. But your point is valid.
I actually think Chukwu's improvement from the player we saw pre-eye injury to now is greater than the improvement we have seen in Howard, who actually showed glimpses of the player we are seeing now in his first two seasons.

I dont think we're worried about him going to the draft...more so him being a grad transfer elsewhere

3rd school? He starts. Why would he leave?
Is there not a chance that JAB may not want Chukwu back to play a 2nd (out of 3) season and just not renew the scholarship?

Even if that was the case earlier on in this season, I feel that Pascal's improvement may have changed those thoughts. Believe that he has one more season of eligibility left.

Is there not a chance that JAB may not want Chukwu back to play a 2nd (out of 3) season and just not renew the scholarship?

Even if that was the case earlier on in this season, I feel that Pascal's improvement may have changed those thoughts. Believe that he has one more season of eligibility left.

There is not a chance of that occurring.

To be more involved with an offense? Instead of put backs and lobs...crazier things have happened
There is no offense in the world that can use him if he can't catch the ball. If he can't handle the ball. If he can't shoot the ball other than put backs and lobs. He is what he is.

Last edited by a moderator:

ditto what Rf said. There was never a chance that Jb didn't want him back.

There is no offense in the world that use him if he can't catch the ball. If he can't handle the ball. If he can't shoot the ball other than put backs and lobs. He is what he is.
Absolutely, very offensively limited by himself, good defender...not to menti0n he just played 40 minutes of an ACC game...where will he go and get that?

There is no offense in the world that can use him if he can't catch the ball. If he can't handle the ball. If he can't shoot the ball other than put backs and lobs. He is what he is.

we all know this...but does he?

I actually think Chukwu's improvement from the player we saw pre-eye injury to now is greater than the improvement we have seen in Howard, who actually showed glimpses of the player we are seeing now in his first two seasons.

Totally agree. Frank did quite well in the non-conf last season and is now carrying it over to the conference season. I didn't see much evidence that Chukwu could walk and chew gum at the same time even pre-injury last year.

IMO Chukwu would NOT start if we had another good center. He can't catch the ball, he can't shoot. He's not very strong, and doesn't finish a dunk with contact. Heck he misses open dunks. The one thing he brings to the game is height. He can play defense. Playing 40 min a game he should average double digit rebounds easily. He's just not that good, though he is better than I expected him to be this year. I do think he tries hard and gives good effort with the skills that he has to offer. That said, I don't think he's truly been challenged by a real physical center this year. I think he'll be exposed when that happens. In any case, I hope we recruit/land two more bigs, and I hope EJ is one of them.

Last edited:
Completely fair assessment. I cringe when I see people, including ones I highly respect, seemingly equating his improvement with Frank's improvement.

I'm glad he's progressing, but it's hard for me to forget that this is his 4th year of college. This isn't a sophomore we are talking about. I'm not going to get all excited because he was finally able to catch a ball and dunk all in the same play.

Then again, I was running around a bit during the game last night and may have missed a few other plays.

He hadn't played meaningful basketball in two years. The leap from last season to this season has been dramatic.

Somehow this thread became about Chukwu... so... IMO Chukwu would NOT start if we had another good center. He can't catch the ball, he can't shoot. He's not very strong, and doesn't finish a dunk with contact. Heck he misses open dunks. The one thing he brings to the game is height. He can play defense. Playing 40 min a game he should average double digit rebounds easily. He's just not that good, though he is better than I expected him to be this year. I do think he tries hard and gives good effort with the skills that he has to offer. That said, I don't think he's truly been challenged by a real physical center this year. I think he'll be exposed when that happens. In any case, I hope we recruit/land two more bigs, and getting back to EJ... I hope he's one of them.
PC is improving all the time. He starts next year.

He hadn't played meaningful basketball in two years. The leap from last season to this season has been dramatic.
He's actually three seasons removed from his freshman year at Providence. If I didn't already know JB doesn't really teach anything in practice and that we don't have a true big man coach on the staff, I'd almost think he'd been coached up.

Well, I for one, have heard nothing about him being unhappy here. Have you?
I don't think it has anything to do with him being unhappy or happy...If he thinks he has a better opportunity somewhere else, don't you think he would jump ship? (I certainly don't think he does..Starting C on an ACC team)..He may love SU..but if UK came knocking, don't you think he would very much consider it? Can't blame him for it

What is all of this Chewy crap?? Of course, anyone could go at the end of the year but based on what we know today, HIGHLY unlikely unless you have some inside info (which it doesn't appear that anyone does). Marek could decide that it might be fun to go back home. Howard might decide to go out west and focus on surfing. Hughes could decide he wants to follow in Thorpe's footsteps. Moyer could decide to focus exclusively on his violin. We might be in trouble!!

Of course he didn't play meaningful basketball last season. He literally broke his eye. So yeah, I'll give you that one.

That guy Wes we picked up a few years ago was able to continue to improve during his season on the bench because of transfer rules. I'm thinking, based on what I saw from PC last year, that maybe he didn't use his time as effectively before he broke his eye.

All the PC love comes out when we play against undersized big men. Do you all completely forget what he did against teams with actual big men?

He's come along well considering many folks expected nothing out of him. But I'm not expecting him to win any games for us, which I know Frank has already done, and Battle does all the time.

He has done a nice job on the offensive boards this year. And he alters shots with his presence alone. That's all we can ask.

Why would JB possibly want that?

I don't think it has anything to do with him being unhappy or happy...If he thinks he has a better opportunity somewhere else, don't you think he would jump ship? (I certainly don't think he does..Starting C on an ACC team)..He may love SU..but if UK came knocking, don't you think he would very much consider it? Can't blame him for it
?? If Kentucky came knocking? That would be tampering. But it is clear that you just made up the idea. I don't care that you did but i find it a bit strange.

?? If Kentucky came knocking? That would be tampering. But it is clear that you just made up the idea. I don't care that you did but i find it a bit strange.

Paschal Chukwu is the kind of elite athlete UK craves.

We are going to get a 5-star Burger Boy whom we haven't been recruiting.

This thread is officially off the rails.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom