Dont know about anyone else but Saturday is gonna tell me a lot. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dont know about anyone else but Saturday is gonna tell me a lot.

I like Schaffer when he's aggressive. I'm starting to see him go conservitive on calls though and I don't particularly like it. I'm a firm believer that in college ball you should be aggressive on defense and force the offensive to make rushed decisions and make plays under duress.

Too many 3rd and longs where we rush 3 guys and play soft coverage. If you give a QB time and a WR a cushion they will play pitch and catch. Force the O to make plays or dump it off to a hot route.

You are right on about the LB play. They highlighted the hole on the broadcast that Diabate or Davis didn't fill.

That being said, I still have nightmares about the Colgate RB who had a career day against SU. Now, it turns out he was an NFL quality player. But, the Stony Brook RBs are reputed to be D1 players who didn't get a shot. And, I'm less enamored than most with Shafer. If he doesn't have the run stopped this week in preparation, I have no confidence in him making in-game adjustments.

Stony Brook's backup is a D1 player, Coker he played at Iowa last year and led the B10 in rushing. There starter is a candidate for the D1AA Heisman, they have great backs. That still shouldnt prevent SU from winning this game and winning it convincingly, were talking about a D1AA line versus the size and experience of Bromley, MPB, Goggins, Sharpe, Spruill, etc.

I think 8 tackles and half a sack from the interior DLine against USC is pretty respectable.

The DEnds chipped in with 9 tackles and 1.5 sacks.

It’s my opinion the defenders killing us right now in the run defense are Diabate and Davis. Diabate made some huge mistakes Saturday against the run whether he got sealed and sucked inside he didn't come up into open holes and make tackles that are his responsibility.

Davis is a complete liability in the run game, guy is either way out of position or misses the tackle. Our lack of quality LB depth is a big problem. Its no surprise we are loading up on LB's this class but as for this year not sure what steps we can take to help the problem, Vaughn is a step to slow and I don't thing Virgille is ready.

The thing is, if you follow enough sports, which most do here, it wil be very very easy for Syracuse to come out flatter than flat for this game after last week. If I were to bet how SU comes out in the first half, I would say horribly flat, which is scary. People wll take off on rants about how it is inexcusable, etc etc etc. Fact is it's human nature and in a game of emotion as college football is, it's almost expected regardless of how they prep IMO. 20,000 fans won't help either. I full expect to win, hope to take it to them from start to finish because I think it will show more progress but not so sure we will see that. I say we win by a TD and trail in the second half at one point. We shall see, everyone knows I hate these 1AA games with a passion and they scare the out of me because the upside is so limited but the downside is catastrophic

The thing is, if you follow enough sports, which most do here, it wil be very very easy for Syracuse to come out flatter than flat for this game after last week. If I were to bet how SU comes out in the first half, I would say horribly flat, which is scary. People wll take off on rants about how it is inexcusable, etc etc etc. Fact is it's human nature and in a game of emotion as college football is, it's almost expected regardless of how they prep IMO. 20,000 fans won't help either. I full expect to win, hope to take it to them from start to finish because I think it will show more progress but not so sure we will see that. I say we win by a TD and trail in the second half at one point. We shall see, everyone knows I hate these 1AA games with a passion

If ing Marshall can get out of bed for Western Carolina, then there's no excuse for "falling flat." D1AA is D1AA.

If ******* Marshall can get out of bed for Western Carolina, then there's no excuse for "falling flat." D1AA is D1AA.

Like I said, just my opinion but everything lends itself to a very flat start by Cuse, kids are probably beat up a bit from such a big game last Saturday. Not saying it will happen but would not surprise at all. They are not excuses as much as they are human nature and tendencies with team sports especially when it comes to college football. However, if people want to pound their fist, scream and yell call the coaches Knuckleheads, etc etc that is clearly your opinion and your right, I would not agree with it but that is fine. I don't gree with 90% of what is posted here.

I would say that Stonybrook has the ability to beat Syracuse if we play very poorly and they play their game, stranger things have happended and they happen every week. I dont forsee it happening but I am sure Arkansas didn't plan on losing to LA- Monroe either or whoever they lost to

I want to see a good amount of Ashton in the wildcat in this game. Preferably with a few pass options in the calls and no just read options and direct runs.
I don't want to see the wildcat ever again. There is no way DM will let AB throw this year, except maybe in a bowl game (if we get one). If there is no threat of a pass, the wildcat is a gimmick. I would rather see Nassib hand off to AB, because the threat of a pass from Ryan will keep the safeties off the line and the OLBs honest.

Like I said, just my opinion but everything lends itself to a very flat start by Cuse, kids are probably beat up a bit from such a big game last Saturday. Not saying it will happen but would not surprise at all. They are not excuses as much as they are human nature and tendencies with team sports especially when it comes to college football. However, if people want to pound their fist, scream and yell call the coaches Knuckleheads, etc etc that is clearly your opinion and your right, I would not agree with it but that is fine. I don't gree with 90% of what is posted here.

I would say that Stonybrook has the ability to beat Syracuse if we play very poorly and they play their game, stranger things have happended and they happen every week. I dont forsee it happening but I am sure Arkansas didn't plan on losing to LA- Monroe either or whoever they lost to

Agree with a lot of this post and your one prior to this. Unfortunately I do expect SU to come out flat, its the nature of the beast when you go from USC and Metlife stadium to the Dome and 25,000 Fans. As you noted earlier in the thread these type of games are a no win situation for Syracuse especially when we are a young team trying to claw back to at least being an average 6-6 7-5 team. As much as I hate to say it when it comes to scheduling a 1AA I dont understand why we dont just schedule a dreg like Rutgers does. Playing someone like a Howard, Colgate, Albany etc guarantees that no matter how bad or flat we come out theres no way we are losing. We might play and look like crap but the team will still win by 3-4 touchdowns plus. A team like SB while it would take all the stars and planets aligning could give SU a challenge deep into the fourth quarter, though I do have to say if SU is trailing in the second half like you noted that would be an absolute disaster based on what we have seen the first two games.

This should be a game where we clean up the turnovers and mistakes that plagued us the first two weeks. With a healthy Lemon back and hopefully Stevens as well (did he play last week?) theres no way we shouldnt be able to throw the ball at will. SB will likely concentrate on Sales and Lemon leaving West, Stevens, Wales, Kobena, and hopefully Fleming or Clark to have an absolute field day. On D it should be pretty clear there going to run the ball. I dont know if SB is an option team but there offense seems predicated on Running the ball early and often. No reason we shouldnt have 8 in the box and our best LBs against the run out there. If Dyshawn starts struggling get him out and get Vaughn or the LB from Georgia in there.

Also it would be great if the team could be prepared for the razzle dazzle for once. Its a 1AA there going to fake punts, do onside kicks, have flea flickers and laterals and other stuff you dont normally see. It would be nice if our Special teams and Defense could actually be on the lookout for these for once instead of looking totally shocked and bewildered.

We will see how good SU's defense is against the run this week. I suspect pretty good. The game plan for USC was to play coverage because last year Barkley burned SU 9 out 10 times SU sent pressure. Marrone said that they expected USC to have some success running the ball and SU expected to rally to the runs because they were playing more coverage this week than normal.

And most of the big chunk runs USC had were reverses, cutbacks or just plain athletically freak plays where the USC ball carrier ran all the way across the field and still managed to get to the outside. I love the aggressive style of Shafer's defense. At the same time the fact is that in order for this defense to get to the top level they need to play aggressively while also keeping contain consistently. I expect them to get burned deep here and there, but they must understand and play contain.

That would be my mantra this week if I was coach: play aggressive and contain. Especially on punt coverage. Although I hope SU doesn't punt very much this week. If the offense scores points early and often the game should be over early.

Based on what I have seen the first two weeks and the posts by GO, Bees and others I still feel confident about this team and the ability to show us that they maybe an upper echelon BE team for the first time in four years under Marrone. That being said to me the performance and score I see Saturday is personally going to tell me a lot about where this team is at.

Lets be honest, Stony Brook is no pushover for a 1AA they have two outstanding running backs, one who should be playing at the D1 level and one who led the B10 in rushing before getting kicked out of Iowa. There a NY school and this game is going to be there super bowl and I am sure the coaching staff has been pumping up every NY guy on the roster that this there chance to get back at SU for not offering them. They also just pounded something called Pace university 70-0.

That all being said this is still a 1AA team who got blown out by Buffalo last year, BUFFALO. We just played for the most part toe to toe with one of the best teams in the nation. This is a game where by the mid part of the the third quarter the game should not be in doubt. This shouldnt be a repeat of Colgate in 09 where the 1AA holds the ball for 70% of the game and makes the game unwatchable. This team from what we have seen so far and in year four under Marrone should dominate this team from the word go. Its clear SB has to run the "heck" out fo the ball to have any chance, theres no Lee and Woods at WR this week we should be able to stack the box and punish these guys.

I am not looking for an epic beatdown by any means but I dont think at this point in the Marrone tenure that I am askign to much to beat a 1AA by 3+ touchdowns so we can actually sit back and enjoy a game in the second half and watch some of the young guys get some PT. This game should be 42-14 or something similar with SU in control from kickoff, if this is a repeat of the Rhode Island game where the game is close or a one score game into the fourth quarter I think we need to re-assess whether or not the corner is turned.

Not for nothing, but the Colgate game was well in hand in the third quarter (and the final was a tick better than your goal: 42-7).

I want to see crisp play, no more careless drops (by the receivers or the linebackers), and extended reps for second-stringers. Oh yeah, and a win.

Not for nothing, but the Colgate game was well in hand in the third quarter (and the final was a tick better than your goal: 42-7).

I want to see crisp play, no more careless drops (by the receivers or the linebackers), and extended reps for second-stringers. Oh yeah, and a win.

You are 100% right about the score of the colgate game. I think the point I was tryign to make was that Colgate pretty much held the ball for most of the game and was driving between the 30's despite SU knowing it's only offense was to run the ball. Colgate's problem was that its offense stalled out every time it got deep into SU territory and they couldnt throw when we finally locked down on the run. Stony Brook has the kind of athletes to cash in drives if we allow them to run all over us. I want to see SU come out prepared for the run and lock it down from the first snap.

I think you are right about human nature, but I'm not worried about the potential for a letdown. I think we'll come out sharp.

The team understands that they need wins, and they'll be eager to get off the snide.

I expect a flat first half to but one thing that might prevent them coming out flat is that the team is 0-2 and needing a win. They know it and could just as easily come out chomping at the bit.

4pm start time is nice to. Don't know why but i'd be leery of the nooner and coming out flat. Later start time might mean less chance of sleepwalking.

Based on what I have seen the first two weeks and the posts by GO, Bees and others I still feel confident about this team and the ability to show us that they maybe an upper echelon BE team for the first time in four years under Marrone. That being said to me the performance and score I see Saturday is personally going to tell me a lot about where this team is at.

Lets be honest, Stony Brook is no pushover for a 1AA they have two outstanding running backs, one who should be playing at the D1 level and one who led the B10 in rushing before getting kicked out of Iowa. There a NY school and this game is going to be there super bowl and I am sure the coaching staff has been pumping up every NY guy on the roster that this there chance to get back at SU for not offering them. They also just pounded something called Pace university 70-0.

That all being said this is still a 1AA team who got blown out by Buffalo last year, BUFFALO. We just played for the most part toe to toe with one of the best teams in the nation. This is a game where by the mid part of the the third quarter the game should not be in doubt. This shouldnt be a repeat of Colgate in 09 where the 1AA holds the ball for 70% of the game and makes the game unwatchable. This team from what we have seen so far and in year four under Marrone should dominate this team from the word go. Its clear SB has to run the "heck" out fo the ball to have any chance, theres no Lee and Woods at WR this week we should be able to stack the box and punish these guys.

I am not looking for an epic beatdown by any means but I dont think at this point in the Marrone tenure that I am askign to much to beat a 1AA by 3+ touchdowns so we can actually sit back and enjoy a game in the second half and watch some of the young guys get some PT. This game should be 42-14 or something similar with SU in control from kickoff, if this is a repeat of the Rhode Island game where the game is close or a one score game into the fourth quarter I think we need to re-assess whether or not the corner is turned.

"The" corner has not been turned. "A" corner has been turned.

And...that is completely ok. Agree with your post completely btw.

44cuse

You are 100% right about the score of the colgate game. I think the point I was tryign to make was that Colgate pretty much held the ball for most of the game and was driving between the 30's despite SU knowing it's only offense was to run the ball. Colgate's problem was that its offense stalled out every time it got deep into SU territory and they couldnt throw when we finally locked down on the run. Stony Brook has the kind of athletes to cash in drives if we allow them to run all over us. I want to see SU come out prepared for the run and lock it down from the first snap.

Ditto. The front seven played really well for most of the first half on Saturday; here's hoping they can repeat that for a full game. Wouldn't it be great to see a game where our offensive execution results in touchdowns right off the bat? No drops (ahem, Mr. West), no crazy throws into a linebacker's stomach (Mr. Nassib), no settling for field goals after a long drive.

I've said from the beginning that Stony Brook is the key game of the year.

Disagree--I think the key game on the schedule has always been Minnesota, and the way the first two games have unfolded haven't changed that opinion. The two B1G games are key; need to split them [still kicking myself about not being able to win week 1], and Minnesota--despite their record--is a very, very winnable game. They'll probably be 3-0 when we play them, but haven't played tough games yet. Get a win [and I'm glad we've already played a "road" game], and we're positioned well heading into the BE portion of the schedule.

Looking forward to being on-hand to witness an Orange victory in the Twin Cities.

Wouldn't mind seeing Lemon pick up a few hundred yards. I want a good race down the stretch between him and Sales.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If a team with 7 straight losses has trouble getting up for a game they can and should win, the team either has a serious leadership problem coaching problem or both.

we're good. play hard, smart, use your depth and i'll be happy. football is about personnel. we're almost there. marrone is doing a good job. don't dis robby. he had less and started the turn around.

Disagree--I think the key game on the schedule has always been Minnesota, and the way the first two games have unfolded haven't changed that opinion. The two B1G games are key; need to split them [still kicking myself about not being able to win week 1], and Minnesota--despite their record--is a very, very winnable game. They'll probably be 3-0 when we play them, but haven't played tough games yet. Get a win [and I'm glad we've already played a "road" game], and we're positioned well heading into the BE portion of the schedule.

Looking forward to being on-hand to witness an Orange victory in the Twin Cities.

Absolutely. Beating Minny could mean a 5 game winning streak. We really need that game badly after dropping the Northwestern game.

If a team with 7 straight losses has trouble getting up for a game they can and should win, the team either has a serious leadership problem coaching problem or both.

I hove both the ticket stubs in your avatar. The one's I've kept:

9/20/80 Syracuse 36 Miami (Ohio) 24 (first game at the Carrier Dome)
9/29/84 Syracuse 17 Nebraska 9 (Favorite memory: wlaking back to my car through groups of zombie-like Nebreaska fans.)
10/17/87 Syracuse 48 Penn State 21 (The most beautiful fall day I have ever seen. Nothign could possible go wrong...and nothing did.)
11/21/87 Syracuse 32 West Virginia 31 (The greatest game ever played in the Dome.)
9/21/91 Syracuse 38 Florida 21 (Take that Steve Spurrier!. Coach P was undeafeated.)
11/21/92 Miami 16 Syracuse 10 (Why did they waste a time-out when they could have had an offical's time if they were willing to put in Mason for one play?)
9/5/98 Tennessee 34 Syracuse 33 (A late flag from 30 yards away)
For some reason I didn't save the Va Tech game. I don't know why.)
11/28/98 Syracuse 66 Miami 13 (A dream sequence.)
9/18/99 Michigan 18 Syracuse 13 (Troy Nunes retreat into the end zone: will we ever have a non-conference opppoent of this caliber in the Dome again?)
10/21/11 Syracuse 49 West Virginia 23 (Our last win, amazingly.)

I would love to be in a comfortable position in the second half so that we will have a Ridiculously Good Looking fourth quarter. Give Nassib some rest and limit the possibility of injury.

I'm hoping the game is over by halftime and we pull all of our starters. Would like to see how Hunt or Loeb performs at QB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom