Don't Overreact... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Don't Overreact...

We won against Clemson.

And all they have to do to get to a bowl is when two of three games, so there IS a margin for error.

Unbelievable. Don't let the facts get in the way of a dopey, pessimistic narrative.

Who's we? They won against Clemson because they came out the gate prepared to play. They can't win a game away from home. They're never ready to play and always have to claw back in the game.

If Dungey doesn't get hurt early, this is likely a win... The program is turning the corner, there will be ups and downs. One of the most important things looking toward next year is for Dungey to learn to avoid unnecessary hits. He needs to know when to slide or get out of bounds and when to throw it away. He's too critical to our team to have him beaten up every week.

That said, there's no reason to freak out and say we won't make a bowl game, unless Dungey's injury proves serious. If he's able to go the rest of the way, I'm still confident that they'll get to six wins.
I'm tired of "If's". Coaching lost this game.

I see both sides of the coin on this debate and I agree with each side a little. You can't say no progress is being made as clearly it is and to say otherwise is silly. But on the other end aside from the Clemson game, it is a lot of "moral victories" still and at some point to make real progress you gotta win games. Today, in my opinion, Dino lost us this game and it's just another moral victory. Today was more tilted towards "moral victory" than actual "progress." A win today would have been HUGE for recruiting. To be able to sit in a recruits house and say hey last year we beat both Clemson and FSU we are a school on the rise and a good football program. We can't say that and its just another moral victory.

But to say we aren't moving in the right direction and there is no progress is just silly again. Clearly we are on the right track.

I'd like to see us get over this scoring hump. I have faith in this offense. We're racking up the yards but it seems like we've been stuck on 24-27 points forever. We had the same problem last year where we'd march up and down the field until we got into the red zone. It almost seems like a mental block at this point. Sphincters tighten and we blow it close in.

id hope we exceed it vs the wake, the way nd is shredding them

after every loss i hear "we're turning a corner" . turn 3 corners and you're right back where you started .
Perspective: we lost to FSU @FSU by 3 points w/ a chance to tie it on a 30 something yard FG.

Rewind the clock 6 months, and tell me what you thought the score would have been.

Perspective: we lost to FSU @FSU by 3 points w/ a chance to tie it on a 30 something yard FG.

Rewind the clock 6 months, and tell me what you thought the score would have been.
And 6 months ago FSU wouldn't have only 2 wins.

after every loss i hear "we're turning a corner" . turn 3 corners and you're right back where you started .
No that is true only if you turn three corners in the sane direction!

Who played Alabama to the end and still is loaded.
They also had their starting QB for that game. We faced a kid who was playing in high school last year this time.

They also had their starting QB for that game. We faced a kid who was playing in high school last year this time.

And he was pretty generic. The rest of those dudes are still big time.

We ran a walk on QB out there for a quarter while we were behind, that's not going to work in Tallahassee even if they suited up an intramural team.

To the complainers. Before you can win the majority of these close games against good teams, you have to lose them. There used to be a time not so long ago that all these games vs the Clemson, Miami, LSU, FSU type teams would be 40 point losses.

Some of you want to skip the middle steps in the process of building a very good program. We’re not going from bad to great just because you want to. Suck it up and deal with these oh so close games. You’re looking at it in a micro sense instead of macro.

2016: Lost to FSU 45-14
2015: Lost 45-21
2014: Lost 38-20
2013: Lost 59-3

Clearly this team hasn't improved AT ALL under Dino. :rolleyes:

No doubt imo that Babers has the program headed upward. That being said, this FSU team is not your father's FSU team as it was free falling heading into today's contest. It was there for the taking and we blew a huge opportunity to get our first W against them since the 60's.

To the complainers. Before you can win the majority of these close games against good teams, you have to lose them. There used to be a time not so long ago that all these games vs the Clemson, Miami, LSU, FSU type teams would be 40 point losses.

Some of you want to skip the middle steps in the process of building a very good program. We’re not going from bad to great just because you want to. Suck it up and deal with these oh so close games. You’re looking at it in a micro sense instead of macro.
Thank you.

No doubt imo that Babers has the program headed upward. That being said, this FSU team is not your father's FSU team as it was free falling heading into today's contest. It was there for the taking and we blew a huge opportunity to get our first W against them since the 60's.

it will be even sweeter when we beat them next year in the dome

What's wrong with it is that it's obnoxious. We lost the game on a last second missed kick -- on the road to a team we outplayed, despite not having our starting QB for the entire first quarter, and suffered a tremendously disappointing loss, I'm tired of people condescending to tell others what they should think / feel / believe about the team, or that we need to temper our enthusiasm. Why?

You are entitled to your opinion. If you choose to view the team through the lens of continued futility, then by all means have fun pounding your chest about those standings and national rankings. The progress this team has made is obvious, how competitive we are against top flight teams with far higher rated recruits than ours is obvious, and I'm tremendously excited about the transformation that this head coach and his high performing staff are implementing before our very eyes.

If you think that all we've gained over the last few years is moral victories, per your post above, then you aren't watching the same thing unfold that I am with our program.
I am sure Babers feels the same way I do. For better or worse, he is in the results business and would recognize we haven't seem that translate with the schedule. Some aspects are better but others have kept us to the basic same result. Do I hope we straighten it out soon, of course. But so far we haven't seen an uptick. It is a work in progress, no doubt. But the jury is still out. Here's hoping this team really does turn a corner soon.

And 6 months ago FSU wouldn't have only 2 wins.
Well, yeah, 6 months ago was before the season started.

But regardless of FSU's record, they are a team that's loaded w/ NFL talent. They *can* beat anyone on any given Saturday. 3-5 or not, going up against these guys in their house and being within striking distance w/ under a minute to go isn't something to sneeze at. We aren't 'there' yet, but we are headed in the right direction.

I remember a lot of the same "were heading in the right direction" after HCSS goes 8-5. I'm just use to the "never getting there results". I've been watching SU since '71 season and I really only remember 10 years of positive feeling about the team could win any game. Would love to get back to that place. Hoping HCDB is the one to do it.

I remember a lot of the same "were heading in the right direction" after HCSS goes 8-5. I'm just use to the "never getting there results". I've been watching SU since '71 season and I really only remember 10 years of positive feeling about the team could win any game. Would love to get back to that place. Hoping HCDB is the one to do it.
That's true, but I can't remember the last time we were competitive in every game of the season (maybe in the 90's?). I know the season isn't over, but we've played some very talented teams, and we have yet to look in over our heads.

The above said, I will also say that the endless feeling of 'next season' is grinding. But man, when it does finally come......

So far this year we have played 4 teams we played last year: Pitt, Clemson, NC State and FSU:

2016: 0-4. Allowed 210 pts
2017: 2-2. Allowed 108 pts

Oh yeah, one of those wins was against the defending national champs who are in the top 4 right now. Sounds like progress to me.

I'm on the fence with supporting either side of the argument. However, you said 6 months ago. There's no mention yet that FSU played the whole game with their TRUE FRESHMAN BACKUP QUARTERBACK.