Doris Burke praises Rakeem ... in middle of UConn/Memphis game tonight... | Syracusefan.com

Doris Burke praises Rakeem ... in middle of UConn/Memphis game tonight...

cto

Administrator
In the middle of a discussion about UConn's post-season chances, Doris changed the subject to Rakeem Christmas...and praised his play in light of having no post-season to aim for. She was effusive in discussing his effort against Louisville last night.

It was nice to hear a broadcaster who had no connection with our game... be so familiar with it ... and be so complimentary of Rakeem's on-court effort since we announced the post-season ban. Apparently the greater hoop world out there is taking notice.

Last edited:
It is still some sort of cosmic hilarity that the guy isn't on the Wooden watch list. Clearly he can't get ACC POY because of our record and the fact that he missed a few shots against Duke, but I'm hoping he has a monster night in Cameron. If the refs will allow it, I think he can.

Rakeem deserves every bit of notice he gets. Good for Doris! Is this becoming a story? A basketball program waiting waiting waiting for the ax to fall, sustaining injuries and "defection" to the NBA, and as a result, to this point having the worst record of Boeheim's tenure, the players who did nothing wrong giving every game their all, and still the waiting waiting waiting... the irony that Christmas stands for everything the NCAA says they value in a student athlete . . . he becomes the symbol of someone who does everything right . . . and yet is punished by an incompetent system proclaiming to promote and regulate ethics, fairness and academic accomplishment . . .

I don't know. It's late and I am rather incoherent, but there's a story here, something about a "hero" and a "goat."

In the middle of a discussion about UConn's post-season chances, Doris changed the subject to Rakeem Christmas...and praised his play in light of having no post-season to aim for. She was effusive in discussing his effort against Louisville last night.

It was nice to hear a broadcaster who had no connection with our game... be so familiar with it ... and be so complimentary of Rakeem's on-court effort since we announced the post-season ban. Apparently the greater hoop world out there is taking notice.
Good for Rak! (and sorry you had to watch UConn and Memphis to see it)

Does Jimmy Fallon mention him any more?

It was nice that Doris took a brief respite from rooting for the Huskies at every possible opportunity.