Doug Marrone’s impact on Syracuse still felt | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Doug Marrone’s impact on Syracuse still felt

All due respect, Marrone bailed on us his so-called "dream job'.
I have no quarrel with him for doing that- opportunity came up and he took it. But I don't understand the somewhat wistful reverence for the man. He was 2 coaches ago and it's not like we played in the CFP during his tenure.
If he'd had JW and the admin that Dino has had, maybe he stays longer and we build something tangible. And if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.
Whatever...

This topic has been discussed here often in various threads.

For me, I find it, let's just say interesting, that some folks mitigate/minimize what he did here. This program had fallen in the abyss, one that would make the Marianas Trench appear shallow after Grob. What Marrone was able to accomplish afterwards, IMO, was quite impressive, if not miraculous...I don't get how anyone can't objectively see that.

The prior administration failed miserably in keeping the program's infrastructure, facilities, the whole nine yards relevant. It was beyond bad. Actually, IMO, it was gross negligence on those powers that be to allow what happened to occur. When Marrone begged and pleaded to his superiors about how bad SU needed an IPF, he was basically told, yeah someday, when SU was already a day late and a dollar short in having one. Just one of many obstacles and head winds Marrone faced.

Who the heck knows, but IMO, if Marrone was given everything that Dino has been given here to succeed, it would make Babers look even more incompetent than what his record, especially ACC/P5 suggests.

Last edited:

For me, I find it, let's just say interesting, that some folks mitigate/minimize what he did here. This program had fallen in the abyss, one that would make the Marianas Trench appear shallow after Grob. What Marrone was able to accomplish afterwards, IMO, was quite impressive, if not miraculous...I don't get how anyone can't objectively see that.

The prior administration failed miserably in keeping the program's infrastructure, facilities, the whole nine yards relevant. It was beyond bad. Actually, IMO, it was gross negligence on those powers that be to allow what happened to occur. When Marrone begged and pleaded to his superiors about how bad SU needed an IPF, he was basically told, yeah someday, when SU was already a day late and a dollar short in having one. Just one of many obstacles and head winds Marrone faced.

Who the heck knows, but IMO, if Marrone was given everything that Dino has been given here to succeed, it would make Babers look even more incompetent than what his record, especially ACC/P5 suggests.

More internet lore. The donations weren’t there for an IPF until after Marrone left. Think about it.

For me, I find it, let's just say interesting, that some folks mitigate/minimize what he did here. This program had fallen in the abyss, one that would make the Marianas Trench appear shallow after Grob. What Marrone was able to accomplish afterwards, IMO, was quite impressive...I don't get how anyone can't objectively see that.

The prior administration failed miserably in keeping the program's infrastructure, facilities, the whole nine yards relevant. It's was being bad. Actually, IMO, it was gross negligence on those powers that be to allow what happened. When Marrone begged and pleaded to his superiors about how bad SU needed an IPF, he was basically told, yeah someday, when SU was already a day late and a dollar short in having one.

Marrone did a masterful job making chicken salad outta chicken sh’t.

And yes - if he was given all the tools and resources Dino has gotten, he may have done even better.

But - let’s not kid ourselves - he was still gonna hop to the NFL when the offer came, because -
who wouldn’t?

THAT was his actual “dream job”, or at least, being a HC at that level was.

He HATED recruiting.
And dealing with all the ancillary issues that come with working with “student-athletes”, boosters, fundraising, yada yada yada.

To his credit, he rebuilt Cuse from the ashes after the GERG error, and he could coach dudes up like nobody’s business.
And we thank him for that.

No one can discount what Marrone did here. He brought us back to respectability and he loved the school. I think people are upset he left. You don’t get upset when a sucky coach leaves. I would have loved for Marrone to be the football program’s version of Boeheim but it didn’t work out. Who knows, the guy could still be a valuable resource for the program down the road.

More internet lore. The donations weren’t there for an IPF until after Marrone left. Think about it.

How soon after Marrone left was there suddenly funds available? If my memory serves me correct, I believe it was announced during Shafer's first year or shortly thereafter and went up relatively in no time afterwards.

I'll remain with the position that the prior administration's gross negligence in raising funds, building infrastructure, etc. to that point in time was the overbearing crux to SU's fall from grace, more so than anything else.

Last edited:
If a change were to be made, my first call as AD wouldn't be to Marrone. It would be to Mora.

Then Willie Fritz, but I think it would take some time to install his system.

If this is true that is mind blowing to me. He would rather be an O Line coach with the Saints? I know word by the insiders is that he hated recruiting, but if true that says a lot about his thoughts about his alma mater.
I think Doug is a big supporter of SYR. He was here with his son (a football player at Colgate named Mac I believe for Coach Mac) at a hoops game last year and was shown on TV and the big screen cheering the Orange. I just think he hates college football and probably hates it even more now with NIL and the portal. You can't really blame him.

Last edited:
The desire to bring back a prior coach is bizarre to me. That's not a "looking forward " approach. For whatever the reasons both he and the school moved on, the fans should as well.

It’s a Rutgers style move, and we should not aim to be Rutgers

What has Marrone done to deserve a HC job since he left SU?

Marrone did a masterful job making chicken salad outta chicken sh’t.

And yes - if he was given all the tools and resources Dino has gotten, he may have done even better.

But - let’s not kid ourselves - he was still gonna hop to the NFL when the offer came, because -
who wouldn’t?

THAT was his actual “dream job”, or at least, being a HC at that level was.

He HATED recruiting.
And dealing with all the ancillary issues that come with working with “student-athletes”, boosters, fundraising, yada yada yada.

To his credit, he rebuilt Cuse from the ashes after the GERG error, and he could coach dudes up like nobody’s business.
And we thank him for that.

I'm with you. The fairly rapid turnaround under Marrone, using a lot of the same players who seemed overmatched the year before, was semi-miraculous IMO.

He was a brilliant game planner, and his teams played hard. But it is also true that he benefitted by playing in a relatively weak Big East conference [relative to the ACC], and from having an NFL caliber QB [Nassib] that he inherited.

Not a knock against him -- it was what it was. He also didn't enjoy recruiting, he didn't bring in a quality replacement for Nassib, and he "left" before the turnaround was completed, which put us right back on shaky ground when Shafer was promoted to replace him. And he pilfered a ton of our assistant coaches on the way out the door, which invalidated the so called "continuity hire" logic of hiring Shafer.

I'm not critiquing him -- but I also acknowledge that there was both good and bad, and it is impossible to envision him ever coming back to Syracuse.

How soon after Marrone left was there suddenly funds available? If my memory serves me correct, I believe it was announced during Shafer's first year or shortly thereafter and went up relatively in no time afterwards.

I'll remain with the position that the prior administration's gross negligence in raising funds, building infrastructure, etc. to that point in time was the overbearing crux to SU's fall from grace, more so than anything else.

It was announced less that 2 months after Marrone quit.

It was announced less that 2 months after Marrone quit.

Supporting my position. The brass kicking the can down the road and the 'someday' position they took while Marrone was there pleading, etc. only to miraculous have it in the works 2 months after he threw them the well deserved monkey wrench.

Supporting my position. The brass kicking the can down the road and the 'someday' position they took while Marrone was there pleading, etc. only to miraculous have it in the works 2 months after he threw them the well deserved monkey wrench.

You have it backwards.

You have it backwards.
This^^^
I find it hard to believe the admin didn't inform Marrone of the upcoming IPF- the timeline is simply too close. Why would they keep it a secret from him?
Most likely scenario is he got tired of hearing "soon " whenever he asked about it, so when the Bills offer came he hopped on it. I submit he would've taken the NFL offer regardless of when he got it, and who can blame him?

Daily Orange article:

Doug Marrone’s impact on Syracuse still felt despite abrupt departure 10 years ago

Doug Marrone changed the course of the SU football program. He ran the program like Dick MacPherson in many ways, but obviously didn't have the personality nor charisma of Coach Mac.

Interesting excerpts from the article, when thinking about Dino's current program:
Coach Marrone blew it.

He could have been a legacy coach - a legendary college football coach.

And, ultimately, he would have earned more money had he stayed.

Last edited:
the ad quit on him. marrone was promised an ipf ---which he fiqured out was bs by the ad. had he gotten the tools that babers has, we would have been re-established as an entity to be dealt with.
yeah yeah and the bills quit on him too

yeah yeah and the bills quit on him too
Marrone’s agent was brilliant with that out clause that he got when Ralph Wilson died. Couldn’t blame him with Doug Whaley picking the players. EJ Manuel was the QB picked. One of the worst draft picks in nfl history and I remember Marrone arguing with Whaley openly during preseason camp.

The longer I am on this planet it is more apparent to me that it is about the jimmys and the joes and not the x and os. Marrone can coach but has been saddled with mediocre QBs in Jacksonville and Buffalo. When he had a good college QB in Nassab he won. Dino won when he had a good college qb. The recruiting is huge and if Doug’s binders didn’t produce any good players he would not have won here or anywhere.

Marrone’s agent was brilliant with that out clause that he got when Ralph Wilson died. Couldn’t blame him with Doug Whaley picking the players. EJ Manuel was the QB picked. One of the worst draft picks in nfl history and I remember Marrone arguing with Whaley openly during preseason camp.

The longer I am on this planet it is more apparent to me that it is about the jimmys and the joes and not the x and os. Marrone can coach but has been saddled with mediocre QBs in Jacksonville and Buffalo. When he had a good college QB in Nassab he won. Dino won when he had a good college qb. The recruiting is huge and if Doug’s binders didn’t produce any good players he would not have won here or anywhere.
He blew the AFC Championship. Bortles was average at best, but they had no business losing that game when they were up two scores.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom