Doug Marrone’s impact on Syracuse still felt | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Doug Marrone’s impact on Syracuse still felt

If a change were to be made, my first call as AD wouldn't be to Marrone. It would be to Mora.

Then Willie Fritz, but I think it would take some time to install his system.
You think so much like Couscuse it's scary, you should be scared.

Correct. Marrone left Jan. 6, 2013 and the IPF was announced on Feb. 26 according to my googling.
Capital projects at a university are designed well in advance of being announced. Now it could be possible that plans were finalized and they were awaiting a lead donor which didn’t happen until Marrone left. But donors don’t just pick up the phone and surprise you with a large gift. They are cultivated for months if not a year or two and usually have input on the design.

The family that owns the Saints loves Doug. Even though he is now the O-line coach there, he has a higher position in the overall decision making for the team. He's staying there and could be their next HC if the current one doesn't pan out.

They both suck as game coaches. Game plan don't mean much in you can't make halftime adjustments or make adjustments on the fly to the other coach's adjustments. I have a feeling both Swag and Beck will be much better at it.

Power games such as what?
Whaley wanted Doug to fire his assistant coaches so he could pick new ones, basically just saying why don't you leave. DW wanted to pick his own HC.

I don’t know many coaches that would say no to the nfl for a first time gig. It’s one thing for a Saban or Kelly to say no if offered a second time because they know how tough it is. But to say no thank you when offered an NFL job when you have never had the opportunity is a hard thing to say no to. Recruiting is not for everyone, and it clearly wasn’t for Doug. Pretty well documented on this board how much he hated recruiting.

This^^^
I find it hard to believe the admin didn't inform Marrone of the upcoming IPF- the timeline is simply too close. Why would they keep it a secret from him?
Most likely scenario is he got tired of hearing "soon " whenever he asked about it, so when the Bills offer came he hopped on it. I submit he would've taken the NFL offer regardless of when he got it, and who can blame him?

Indeed. "Someday" or "soon" take your pick. In all likelihood Marrone's interpretation was probably similar to this.

How is it not on task to observe his choices?
It was not choices that was the issue it was what he was told and what he did not get. I do not
Believe Buffalo was in the conversation. Only in your mind

I don’t know many coaches that would say no to the nfl for a first time gig. It’s one thing for a Saban or Kelly to say no if offered a second time because they know how tough it is. But to say no thank you when offered an NFL job when you have never had the opportunity is a hard thing to say no to. Recruiting is not for everyone, and it clearly wasn’t for Doug. Pretty well documented on this board how much he hated recruiting.
If you don't like recruiting, you have no business coaching at the collegiate level in any capacity. It's attitudes like that which can result in kneecapping a program.

it's a complete fairy tale
Whaley was always a weak link too. I just think Doug thought he could get the Jets job saw the out and went for it. He wasn’t hired by Pegulas and Whaley was a buffoon. The worst case was he walked out with a bunch of $ and wound up coaching at Jacksonville.

Whaley was always a weak link too. I just think Doug thought he could get the Jets job saw the out and went for it. He wasn’t hired by Pegulas and Whaley was a buffoon. The worst case was he walked out with a bunch of $ and wound up coaching at Jacksonville.
best prediction of my life
(aside from predicting he'd go back to thinking syracuse was a dream job again)

It was not choices that was the issue it was what he was told and what he did not get. I do not
Believe Buffalo was in the conversation. Only in your mind

He was out the door no matter what in 2012. Was interviewing for OC positions in the NFL.

More internet lore. The donations weren’t there for an IPF until after Marrone left. Think about it.
That was mostly due to the fact that Marrone didn’t nurture donors. He wasn’t a guy that could raise money, be it ego or not, that wasn’t him. It became bad enough, the alumni and donors started feeling slighted by the program. Just as soon as he departed, the money started pouring back in.

Doug was an X’s and O’s Master, but not built for the other key components of being a HC in the college ranks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom