Dougs plan on NY players | Syracusefan.com

Dougs plan on NY players

kcsu

Living Legend
Dougs plan on recruiting NY is going to pay off now that he has a full roster and can afford to RS these raw athletes and let them learn the game for a year or two. Look at Reddish and how he has improved in two years. He may end up being our best cover corner in a decade. I expect the same out of Morgan. Look at Kobena two years into the program. Bromley has NFL written all over him. I think that Sloan will end up being a beast not mention Williams who should also end up playing on Sundays. Omari will end up being a three year starter if not four and who knows how good Ash is going to be. We have more football players in our backyard than almost any other state they are just raw. If Doug can keep stocking up on Athletes and provide them with time and coaching we could really be onto something.

Dougs plan on recruiting NY is going to pay off now that he has a full roster and can afford to RS these raw athletes and let them learn the game for a year or two. Look at Reddish and how he has improved in two years. He may end up being our best cover corner in a decade. I expect the same out of Morgan. Look at Kobena two years into the program. Bromley has NFL written all over him. I think that Sloan will end up being a beast not mention Williams who should also end up playing on Sundays. Omari will end up being a three year starter if not four and who knows how good Ash is going to be. We have more football players in our backyard than almost any other state they are just raw. If Doug can keep stocking up on Athletes and provide them with time and coaching we could really be onto something.

You left out J. Ko...4 catches, 79 yards, two td's

NYS (and downstate in particular) has to be part of any recruiting strategy (home state, after all). But I think you overstate your point. The 2012 class had only 5 in-state recruits (unless you count Davon Walls from Brooklyn by way of out of state jucos).
There are only 3 NYS recruits in the current commit list.
There were a few more NYS recruits in 2010 and 2011, but it clear that Doug will be looking to PA, FL, Ohio and a few JUCOs to fill in. Because, let's be realistic, NYS isn't a football hotbed; the talent in the downstate area is recruited hard by a number of schools.

NYS (and downstate in particular) has to be part of any recruiting strategy (home state, after all). But I think you overstate your point. The 2012 class had only 5 in-state recruits (unless you count Davon Walls from Brooklyn by way of out of state jucos).
There are only 3 NYS recruits in the current commit list.
There were a few more NYS recruits in 2010 and 2011, but it clear that Doug will be looking to PA, FL, Ohio and a few JUCOs to fill in. Because, let's be realistic, NYS isn't a football hotbed; the talent in the downstate area is recruited hard by a number of schools.
Oh i agree but what im saying is that if we can pull a combination of 5-6 solid kids a year from NY including jucos transfers and milford we are going to be in very good shape as that would account for about 20% of our annual ships

Completely agree. Having a full roster and a compliment of 50-60 players who can play any given week means that raw athletes don't have to be rushed onto the field to fill a need. We'll start to see the dividends of this strategy more and more in upcoming years.

Completely agree. Having a full roster and a compliment of 50-60 players who can play any given week means that raw athletes don't have to be rushed onto the field to fill a need. We'll start to see the dividends of this strategy more and more in upcoming years.
Yes -- it means we can continue to RS linemen & "raw" athletes. But where exactly is the magic formula? If you look at who plays early, and who needs a year or two, it does not appear that NY kids need any special treatment.

Doug has stabilized the roster after 4 years (filling in with JUCOs); recruited downstate, neighboring states, and FL, and largely because of Adkins -- Georgia. It is basically establishing or re-establishing connections downstate; using Wheatley in Ohio and Michigan; and trying to close with prospects. It is throwing a very wide net of offers. Trying to upgrade facilities and making the program more attractive.
Lots of hard work and step by step progress.
All good -- I am just skeptical about theories that he is using an approach vastly different than other coaches with rival teams.

I think you can add Foy to your list. I thought he played well and has 3 more years in the Program after this one.

I agree, but after four years we still don't have a game-changer on offense and the jury is still out on who's going to play quarterback next year.

I agree, but after four years we still don't have a game-changer on offense and the jury is still out on who's going to play quarterback next year.
Hunt in the lead, but Marrone has shown he isn't averse to letting one of the January enrollee freshman take the reigns if they show something in Spring ball.

Yes -- it means we can continue to RS linemen & "raw" athletes. But where exactly is the magic formula? If you look at who plays early, and who needs a year or two, it does not appear that NY kids need any special treatment.

Doug has stabilized the roster after 4 years (filling in with JUCOs); recruited downstate, neighboring states, and FL, and largely because of Adkins -- Georgia. It is basically establishing or re-establishing connections downstate; using Wheatley in Ohio and Michigan; and trying to close with prospects. It is throwing a very wide net of offers. Trying to upgrade facilities and making the program more attractive.
Lots of hard work and step by step progress.
All good -- I am just skeptical about theories that he is using an approach vastly different than other coaches with rival teams.

What's different about his approach is that he is making NYC metro an area of concerted focus, whereas most teams do not. The formula is similar to what everyone else is doing except for that.

I've often wondered what was in that binder, and what he focused on during his interview when he said that he had a plan to rebuild the program. Surely it was more than a list of phone numbers for coaches he'd amassed during his time as a coach. I'm thinking that pitched Gross et al on the idea that NYC is the biggest population center in the US, and that there were a lot of athletes in that area who play other sports, don't have the concerted focus on football, don't have the same coaching as other states, etc. but that this population can be mined for quality athletes that other schools are missing. And I'm thinking that Marrone had a somewhat "unique" perspective on it, as a NYC football player himself, a guy who helped support camps while he was in the NFL, etc.

So far, it looks like he might be on to something.

I know this, the best five athletes SU has fielded in the last 5 years, have all been from NY (6 if you count Broyld on this team).

I agree, but although its not just a NY player formula, the NY kids obviously benefit from it given how far behind scholastically they are from kids from states like PA, Ohio and the entire South, where they have year round lifting, spring programs, and lots more games.

Any program that relies on late bloomers and under-the-radar types is going to have to redshirt a sizable amount of its players to gain an edge.

I know this, the best five athletes SU has fielded in the last 5 years, have all been from NY (6 if you count Broyld on this team).

I agree, but although its not just a NY player formula, the NY kids obviously benefit from it given how far behind scholastically they are from kids from states like PA, Ohio and the entire South, where they have year round lifting, spring programs, and lots more games.

Any program that relies on late bloomers and under-the-radar types is going to have to redshirt a sizable amount of its players to gain an edge.
That is fine with me.

We tend to follow a typical pattern -- redshirt linemen, so they can add muscle; redshirt QBs. DBs, RBs, WRs might get an early opportunity depending on the needs of the team and -- basically -- whether you are landing 3 stars.
If we are talking about downstate recruits, we have several who have played as frosh -- Cater, Bromley, Kobena (with a PG), Reddish, and now Morgan, and it looks as if McFarlane, Cornelius, and Palmer are on a par with other recruits in the recent class. Sales played as a frosh; Broyld after a PG year.
I question the claim that our recruits from Penna or Ohio (the sample size is too small) are more ready than our NYS guys. You can make a case for a few FL recruits being farther along (Phillip Thomas, Wales, Lyn, Desir), but it isn't universally true for the guys we landed.
What you have to hope is that Marrone will continue to upgrade recruiting, and half of his recruiting class (especially skill guys) will push to play as frosh.