Dr. Gross on the NJ Games | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Dr. Gross on the NJ Games

LOL that is simply insane. So you want 5k empty seats 4 times a year just because you may need 48k twice a year? How does that benefit the 42k that show up every week? How does that benefit SU? If you have 42k every game and charge $31.50 you earn more money than having 42k for four games and 48k for 2 games at $30. The financial benefit of being at 49k vs 44k is negligible.

Hell if we do become good again wouldn't it be nice to have a sell out streak? Wouldn't that be good publicity and for the moral of the program. If you have SU selling out 12 straight games there is a buzz about the program. Just look at BBall and all the silliness that goes along with having 34k.

Having empty seats has a negative effect on the players, recruiting, fan attitude, and looks bad on TV. So why not reduce those things as much as possible? Especially if financially it doesn't have a negative consequence? I fail to see a negative in going down to 44k. The only people it will impact is the bandwagon fans. But since they are bandwagon fans who cares. Shouldn't the real fans coem first?

No it's not. When there are 45 thousand in the building it looks fine. Yeah when there 30k in the place it looks bad, but taking 5 thousand seats isn't going to change that.

Here's one thing I sure of, unless it's to provide additional handicap seating, it's not going to happen.

Should have won that game.

muffed punt that goes out of the FS endzone - ouch! Still hurts!

Reyes fumble inside the FS 20 yard line - ouch!!

PP pass intercepted in the FS endzone as time expires - triple ouch!

A win that day would have likely changed SU Football history.

The only thing I remember about that game is Cuseguy yelling over and over "THEY'RE NOT THAT GOOD".

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

The only thing I remember about that games is Cuseguy yelling over and over "THEY'RE NOT THAT GOOD".

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Yep.

Well in comparison - apparently CNYers can't even get a decent crowd together for the BOSS! Just over half the tickets sold.

I have been going to games at the Dome since it opened. I have seen most all of the big games and all i can remember thinking is "why is this not sold out"? Some have been very close to sell outs, but very few have been. It is what it is

One thing the SU Athletic department can do, in addition to everything else they are doing, and they may already be doing this, is target grade school kids. If grade school kids in CNY are excited about SU football their parents will buy tickets. Kids don't care if SU is a private school, they don't care if SU plays USC in New York and they don't care if the AD suggests taking the train to Manhattan to watch a game. And once the kids are interested you can create loyalty that may last a lifetime. Sports have never been more popular.

I say this after a skype with my 7 year old niece in Clesmson, S.C. She loves the Tigers because everyone in her 2nd grade class which began last week loves the Tigers. In fact, she asked me point blank if I liked the South Carolina Gamecocks, and she was relieved when I said no. I don't think my niece will ever play football, and I doubt she will be an athlete unless she fulfills her dream of becoming a cheerleader.

Yes, football runs deep in the South Carolina culture. Yes, SU will probably need to start winning before it can attract the youngsters. But I would target that demographic more vigorously than say the 35 and older crowd who are entrenched in their habits which don't include following SU football. I have cousins in CNY with kids and my cousins, none of whom attended SU, are all more interested in going to games now than they were in the past. I think part of the reason is that they like Marrone, but the other reason is that their kids like going to sporting events.

Well in comparison - apparently CNYers can't even get a decent crowd together for the BOSS! Just over half the tickets sold.

That's the worst thing I read in this whole thread... (n)

No it's not. When there are 45 thousand in the building it looks fine. Yeah when there 30k in the place it looks bad, but taking 5 thousand seats isn't going to change that.

Here's one thing I sure of, unless it's to provide additional handicap seating, it's not going to happen.

Its not going to happen, zero interest by SU in doing anything like that to the Dome.

It embarrassing for me as a fan and can't stand that our fan base can't get to their seats in time.

Insert [you don't know how bad the traffic is in Syracuse] traffic joke here.

44cuse

That's the worst thing I read in this whole thread... (n)
Yeah, but Bruce brings his A game no matter so I've Got High Hopes. Plus, it's the oddest place for a concert on his whole tour, he's going to put on a show.

Actually makes me not want to go, but there is a rumor Bon Jovi is set to make a guest appearance. If he's having him show up he's not going to halfass it.

But if it were a monster truck rally, standing room only.

I wouldn't mind seeing the lower Preferred sections have proper, non-silver, seats. That might interfere with hoops seating, so it might need some adjustment (A&B only?). Yes, it would impact capacity by a bit, but 47k vs. 49k isn't that big of a difference when both exceed recent attendance figures.

The big issue, though, is that there aren't enough A & B preferred season ticket holders to fill the silver (on the visitors' side) between the 30s. I'd like to see the Preferred scheme "rejuvinated" to allow the Preferred sections to become a bit more compressed, thereby filling the (current) silver seats. Such a re-shuffling could be problematic, but I suspect that there are enough (current) empty seats to allow this to happen fairly smoothly.

As a point of reference, I was at Bobby Dodd Stadium a little while ago. The lower section seating was almost identical to that at the Carrier Dome. As an aside, one game held at Grant Field (the field inside Bobby Dodd Stadium) that might've been interesting to have seen was:

October 7, 1916: Georgia Tech 222, Cumberland College 0​
In the most lopsided game in American football history, Georgia Tech, under legendary coach John Heisman, defeated Cumberland College 222-0.​
Yes, that was "the" Heisman as coach. He actually was the "football, basketball, and baseball head coach and athletic director" at Georgia Tech.

But if it were a monster truck rally, standing room only.

Awesome. And amazingly dead-on. Kind of sums up the whole thread. NE college football=not awesome. Doesn't mean it's not something to _love_, but there is a reality that a lot of people need to face.

Adding more seats to the Dome in an area that is losing people, has poor high school football, and is a basketball first (at best) region makes zero sense.

Monster trucks > college football. That says it all.

Some folks need to go see some games outside of CNY and outside of the BE.

44cuse

Insert [you don't know how bad the traffic is in Syracuse] traffic joke here.

44cuse

Yes, we've heard this one. My response is leave your house earlier. It's not like we live in Boston or Atlanta. Plan for 40 minutes to get to seat from your couch instead or 20 without traffic.

Yeah, but Bruce brings his A game no matter so I've Got High Hopes. Plus, it's the oddest place for a concert on his whole tour, he's going to put on a show.

Actually makes me not want to go, but there is a rumor Bon Jovi is set to make a guest appearance. If he's having him show up he's not going to halfass it.

Bruce NEVER half-asses it. His setlists have been ridiculous this tour, the guy mixes it up like the Grateful Dead. That being said, I did find the choice of venue really bizarre.

Yes, we've heard this one. My response is leave your house earlier. It's not like we live in Boston or Atlanta. Plan for 40 minutes to get to seat from your couch instead or 20 without traffic.

There is no traffic in Syracuse. Zero. None. The fact that it was and is written in posts here year after year is completely ridiculous.

You could park in the worst spot in the worst lot on a snowy night after a basketball game and it's nothing compared to most places.

44cuse

Bruce NEVER half-asses it. His setlists have been ridiculous this tour, the guy mixes it up like the Grateful Dead. That being said, I did find the choice of venue really bizarre.

Would you have ever thunk that you would have both Tiger Woods and Bruce in Vernon(a), NY on the same day?

SU should have 5 real teams on the schedule every year. So go ahead and play a game in Buffalo, a game in Albany, a game in NJ, and a game in LI. That will leave one real game plus 1-2 cupcakes for Syracuse.

I'm late to this thread but I just want to say I literally laughed out loud at this. absurd.

Wasn't one of the biggest reasons the Dome sits where it does today, is because of the students?

I can see why Gross did this and it also could have been another thing he was doing to attract the ACC. There are a lot of levels to this and no easier answer than to have the Dome be full so he never does this 1 and 1 type schedule again. I have no problem what so ever with one game being played there, like we did with Wisconsin.

Pitt just had a sellout this past season...

Bull shite they did. They may have announced it but I have been there for many "big" games, including the backyard brawl and ND. WVU brought about 25k and they were still 10k short of a sell out at Heniz. ND was even worse.

For what it's worth, Texas A&M and Arkansas announced yesterday that they will play their annual conference game at Cowboys Stadium from 2014 to 2024. I'm sure Arkansas alum Jerry Jones made this financially attractive.

Fayetteville, AR is 350 miles from Arlington, TX.
College Station, TX is 190 miles from Arlington, TX.

Syracuse is 240 miles from East Rutherford, NJ.

Just sayin'.

All of this talk ends when we move to the ACC..it can't come quick enough.

Sadly we'll be debating attendance/venue related topics 'til the day we die.

It's a Syracuse tradition.

For what it's worth, Texas A&M and Arkansas announced yesterday that they will play their annual conference game at Cowboys Stadium from 2014 to 2024. I'm sure Arkansas alum Jerry Jones made this financially attractive.

Just sayin'.
works both ways . those arkansas and aTm fans around Dallas are probably driving to fayetteville and college station most of the time. it's a much easier pill to swallow for the fayetteville and college station faithful to throw the Dallas people a bone and part with a game.

Just sayin'.

Arkansas border is about 2.5 hours from Dallas...needless to say they have fans all over the state. This will be a good deal for them.