Dr. Gross on the NJ Games | Syracusefan.com

Dr. Gross on the NJ Games

javadoc

All American
http://www.syracuse.com/poliquin/index.ssf/2012/08/the_morning_orange_daryl_gross.html

To be attractive to recruits, sure. He gives away the game and it's all about resources. Bottom line: CNY fans don't support the program (not any one year's team - the program) enough to get us the $ we need. Season ticket holders have to suck it up and do even more heavy lifting, by traveling to see the team near NYC, or forego those games. And it's not their fault. Blame the schlubs around you in the grocery store.

TGD is smarter than that. Basketball still has plenty of home games and we don't play individual games there unless it is SJU which is their home game. 1 football game is 17% of the home schedule.

And now after alienating local fans for the past few years in the Dome, he's going to put the onus of Metlife attendance 5 hours away on local fans? Wow. Someone pull up that article about this game being for our metro NYC fans and alumni.

And recruiting? Who? We admittedly recruit the south now. We get plenty of NYC kids now regardless of where we play. So who are we recruiting that playing in Metlife locks down?

Bad answer.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

http://www.syracuse.com/poliquin/index.ssf/2012/08/the_morning_orange_daryl_gross.html

To be attractive to recruits, sure. He gives away the game and it's all about resources. Bottom line: CNY fans don't support the program (not any one year's team - the program) enough to get us the $ we need. Season ticket holders have to suck it up and do even more heavy lifting, by traveling to see the team near NYC, or forego those games. And it's not their fault. Blame the schlubs around you in the grocery store.
Chicken and egg argument. When the program aid an egg, the chickens get a life and root elsewhere. Not sure the program will ever recover unless it wins with an Oregon style offense. IMO, winning is not enough for Syracusans.

A bad article by Bud. Go figure. :noidea:
Whiz-bang, 'nuff said.

I agree that non-hardcore local fans do not support the program. They are front runners who support winners and that's it. In football if we are very good they are there unless we are playing top tier programs (which we are historically).

I'm a season ticket holder and by no means complaining about going to NYC for a game. People who aren't are the same who didn't for the Pinstripe Bowl.

In all fairness, I didn't even read the article linked (I tend not to read Bud period) but it sounds like the same old same old Syracuse "fan" deal. People here have no idea how good they have it, but they want to complain when it's gone.

TGD is smarter than that. Basketball still has plenty of home games and we don't play individual games there unless it is SJU which is their home game. 1 football game is 17% of the home schedule.

And now after alienating local fans for the past few years in the Dome, he's going to put the onus of Metlife attendance 5 hours away on local fans? Wow. Someone pull up that article about this game being for our metro NYC fans and alumni.

And recruiting? Who? We admittedly recruit the south now. We get plenty of NYC kids now regardless of where we play. So who are we recruiting that playing in Metlife locks down?

Bad article.

It wasn't an article, it was a response to a question.

T 1 football game is 17% of the home schedule.

That game is bringing in a lot more than what it would be if it were home. At the time the deal was made, pre-ACC, he was looking to raise capital however he could.

Once the program is back legit again and firmly in the ACC, he won't have to do such deals.

It wasn't an article, it was a response to a question.

True. I wasn't blaming Bud. Should have said bad answer because it was answers by TGD to questions fans posed. I edited it.

That game is bringing in a lot more than what it would be if it were home. At the time the deal was made, pre-ACC, he was looking to raise capital however he could.

Once the program is back legit again and firmly in the ACC, he won't have to do such deals.

What is our guarantee and did we have to buy X tixs? He also probably alienated locals even more by putting the onus on locals for attendance there. When it comes out that SU did diddly with tixs sales, I am sure the locals will be blamed.

Sounds like SU is guaranteed a flat appearance fee, since Gross already knows it will account for 70% of the budget.

If ticket sales fall below projections, the MetLife people would take the hit, not SU.

Of course, they may not invite SU back.

Bad article.

This article is BS, now locals are supposed to be the ones doign the heavy lifting for the Metlife games to?? I love Gross but his attitude on this is way off base. The people he and those non locals are complaining abou aren't going to games in the Dome, you think there suddenly going to spend hundreds of dollars for a game in NYC where we are likely to get our doors blown in? LOL I am sure moving the only marquee OOC games every year is going to generatet ton ofnew interest for those fans who walked away.

Do people forget we had Penn State here 5 years ago and the only reason we had 45k was because Penn State had 10k plus fans come up. We must do this kind of stuff. It sucks but to keep up with the big boys facilities we just have to.

Sounds like SU is guaranteed a flat appearance fee, since Gross already knows it will account for 70% of the budget.

If ticket sales fall below projections, the MetLife people would take the hit, not SU.

earlier this summer he said it was 80-90% of the football budget for that game. just maybe the pay-off is on a sliding scale. i believe texanmark also heard the same interview back in june

earlier this summer he said it was 80-90% of the football budget for that game. just maybe the pay-off is on a sliding scale. i believe texanmark also heard the same interview back in june

Gross better cash the check before kickoff. :p

Because if only 40,000 people show up, he'll have some 'splainin to do.

Gross better cash the check before kickoff. :p

Because if only 40,000 people show up, he'll have some 'splainin to do.

40k would be good from where we are.

Do people forget we had Penn State here 5 years ago and the only reason we had 45k was because Penn State had 10k plus fans come up. We must do this kind of stuff. It sucks but to keep up with the big boys facilities we just have to.

You mean the terrible SU team in year 4 under Grob that got buried by 50? Yeah I can't believe the place wasn't sold out. :bang:

If anyone wants to know where Bud dropped the ball, it's that 70% figure. NFW does the money SU is getting paid for this one game represent 70% of the football budget.

You mean the terrible SU team in year 4 under Grob that got buried by 50? Yeah I can't believe the place wasn't sold out. :bang:
Half way thru P's tenure it would have been the same. 10k PSU fans, the real SU crowd and then the fair weather folks that show up because of PSU. In the ACC if we win it will be the same, minus the huge visitor contingent for most games.

It's nonsense. Somebody is off by an order of magnitude. Seven or eight percent I could buy.

Half way thru P's tenure it would have been the same. 10k PSU fans, the real SU crowd and then the fair weather folks that show up because of PSU. In the ACC if we win it will be the same, minus the huge visitor contingent for most games.

I dont disagree, the days of a packed Dome ended in 1998 we have hit the mid 40's a couple times but that was usually for an opener or if we gave away or basically gave away 10K tickets.

If anyone wants to know where Bud dropped the ball, it's that 70% figure. NFW does the money SU is getting paid for this one game represent 70% of the football budget.

Gross is quoting the 70% figure.

Well not halfway thru, but yeah, in 2004, 10k tickets went unsold for a night game against Florida State. Just never quite got that one..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I thought the Doc had a good response up until when he talked abvout the wonderful train ride for CNY fans. At that point, I think he lost his argument. This game was not only scheduled pre ACC, but also before SU started getting an increased number of recruits from NYC. I live in Jersey so it's hard for me to bitch about the game's location. If you want me to bitch about living in New Jersey, well that's another thread entirely.

It's nonsense. Somebody is off by an order of magnitude. Seven or eight percent I could buy.

i was heading up to mark's camp and i called mark to tell him that gross was on the radio. gross for sure said it was 80-90% of the operating budget. maybe he just means the coaching staffs pay and not scholarships.

those were "his"remarks

what is syracuse getting paid for the appearance down there?