Dr Gross spin on ACC deal? | Syracusefan.com

Dr Gross spin on ACC deal?

normaliswear

Starter
Ok if you didn't hear the interview Axe had with Gross,

http://www.syracuse.com/axeman/index.ssf/2012/05/post_97.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

But in it he talks about something I haven't heard anywhere else in regards to the ACC deal that, if accurate, would seem to be huge. He discusses "multimedia rights" as being kept by the schools in the ACC deal while other conference deals the schools lose those rights which bumps the value to around 24-25 mill value (starts around 9 min remaining). If this were true it would seem to make all the Big 12 talk idiotic. As much as I'd like to believe this, it just seems if it weren't spin the ACC woulda been screaming this from the hilltops as soon as the FSU BOT opened his mouth.

I don't think it's spin, I heard something about this when the deal first came out. I just can't remember what website had it in their write-up. Most conferences take multimedia rights away from the schools like he said, so I'm guessing that many people overlooked that detail and did not have it in their write-ups.

would someone in the know reply to this...and how is multi-media rights defined.
This could either be very big news or not so much...thanks.

Yeah - the Big 12 talk with FSU etc. seemed like sabre rattling from the start to me... squeaky wheel to try and exert some pressure on the North Carolina magistrates...

Can't listen to this at work. Can someone summarize his thoughts about getting into the ACC next year.

For example, does this include streaming games on a school's website? Does OSU have to pay the BIG10 a portion of the fee they charge when they stream an event on their website?

Can't listen to this at work. Can someone summarize his thoughts about getting into the ACC next year.
He seems very confident we'll be in the ACC for 2013 as its in everyone's best interests, including the BE's, to move on

For example, does this include streaming games on a school's website? Does OSU have to pay the BIG10 a portion of the fee they charge when they stream an event on their website?
Exactly, I wanna know what constitutes multimedia rights and how much SU gets for them, how much other ACC schools get for them, and if the Big 12 deal has those as all included.

Wow! A great interview. A veritable goldmine of good information and insight into the thinking.

Not much "spin" in that. Of course, he's going to put things in a positive light when he can. But most of this was solid information about the thinking. (I can see the "facts" for myself. What I really want to know is what the logic behind the thinking is.)

Everyone on this board ought to listen carefully to what was being said by Gross.

SU's "cache" is a key asset. That's the public view of the school and its teams. "Cache" is a product the history and tradition. Commodities which our northeastern competitors are in short supply of. (Some have negative cache.)

I especially liked the "apples and oranges" comment about comparing TV deals. All I was hearing previously was the gross TV contract value.

The three game deal with PSU was interesting and SU's creativity in crafting a "Home, Home and Neutral" game. The point was that without the "neutral site" game, we might not have been able to get the home game.

He certainly gets the importance of a NYC-area presence and attacking the Big East's "conference uncertainty". Based on this, SU would certainly not be in favor of adding Rutgers or UConn to the ACC, The Ray Rice deal still stings and it might end up biting RU in the azz in the longer term.

So is the ACC foreward thinking enough to have an online ACC network vs a cable ACC network?

Haven't we all been asking for years, why we must pay for 400 channels only to watch 10? Why can't customers piece together the channels they want and just pay for those? Through traditional cable it doesn't work, but through the internet could it be on the horizon?

He is optimistic it will happen.

The Big East is the driver here. They have to incorporate their new teams. They just need to start focusing on this. They have had trouble focusing because of everything else they have been dealing with. According to Gross, once they do it will become obvious what they need to do and that will be to cut SU loose.

So the SU approach is not to sue to leave but rather to wait till the Big East realizes it has to get rid of SU to accommodate their new members. Gross seems to be very confident this will happen.

This approach save legal costs and doesn't leave a bad taste in everyone's mouth (Just look how UConn is suffering because they led the lawsuit against the ACC in 2003. Bad idea.)

Exactly, I wanna know what constitutes multimedia rights and how much SU gets for them, how much other ACC schools get for them, and if the Big 12 deal has those as all included.

Whatever is included it takes the revenue from $19M (From the TV deal) to $25M or $26M. He did specifically include Corporate Sponsorships in multi media rights.

Whatever is included it takes the revenue from $19M (From the TV deal) to $25M or $26M. He did specifically include Corporate Sponsorships in multi media rights.
Yeah I heard that. Doesn't answer the question on specifics or how it compares to other schools or conferences though which is where the rubber hits the road in this case.

Yeah I heard that. Doesn't answer the question on specifics or how it compares to other schools or conferences though which is where the rubber hits the road in this case.

Good luck on getting an honest "apples to apples" accounting. The conferences with deals that sound good (but which are actually worse) are going to do whatever they can to not disclose details.

I listened to the interview. I wish someone in the Syracuse press would follow up on this with Gross. The info Gross gives differs with what we have read from other reports concerning the new ACC contract. $19 million, not $16-17 million like we heard? $24-25 million for SU because of multimedia rights? I wish there was more info.

FYI: the GA Tech AD also indicated that there are re-evaluation points 5- and 10- years into the new deal.

I wonder if the slip of $19 million was really a slip now. Maybe they know they will lose 2 schools to the Big 12 and that ESPN has assured them the contract will not be reduced if that happens? What does the total annually divided by 13 get each institution (the ACC office gets a full share)?

Cheers,
Neil

I listened to the interview. I wish someone in the Syracuse press would follow up on this with Gross. The info Gross gives differs with what we have read from other reports concerning the new ACC contract. $19 million, not $16-17 million like we heard? $24-25 million for SU because of multimedia rights? I wish there was more info.

Hello news media - is anyone home? Hello???