Draft declarations | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Draft declarations

We'll see in about 3 months. SU could be stacked next year if everybody returns. Or we could be looking at a 7 man team again.
I know I'm the anti guys leaving early guy but this one would take the cake Malachi and lydon s game are so far ahead of ob.

Based on what? There is a very good chance OB leaves. I'd put it at 60%.

I simply totally disagree. He shoots poorly, finishes in the paint worse and gets his shot blocked more than any player I've ever watched. I can't remember the last time he finished in the paint without a breakaway dunk. In the 1st half of the year he got fouled a lot in the paint and converted his foul shots. The Acc teams just challenge his interior shots and won't foul him. And he isn't making ANY layups. None...Zero. If he can't convert them in league then how can he on the next level. They also dare him to shoot the three pointer, Mike Brey said his team wanted him to shoot it from there. That's how I can see it. He can't possibly get a sniff right now.[/QUOTE]

I know I'm the anti guys leaving early guy but this one would take the cake Malachi and lydon s game are so far ahead of ob.

We've disagreed on this issue in the past but I've got your back on this one. I would be stunned.

I know there will be talk of Battle leaving early, and possibly Brisset.

At this point there is no realistic chance either will get drafted in the first round. I’m not sure either would be guaranteed to be drafted in the 2nd round.

Both should stay. Plenty for them to improve upon, mainly on the offensive end.

I’m looking forward to seeing what this team can do with everyone back and healthy, plus adding the strong freshmen class. We should be fairly dominant next year.

STOP.

JB isn't going to suddenly switch to being an offensive genius. There is no reason Battle should stay for the offsenive side of the ball.

Another year of the 2-3 zone hurts.

Draft picks, even second rounders, are more valuable than ever in the nba.

Battle should be gone.

Battle will be no better than 2nd rounder in draft in June, unless he comes on very strong. He will play on a summer league team, then either end up in G league or oversees. He needs the time to develop more outside of SU. Seriously doubt he comes back to Cuse, even though I hope he does.

Battle will be no better than 2nd rounder in draft in June, unless he comes on very strong. He will play on a summer league team, then either end up in G league or oversees. He needs the time to develop more outside of SU. Seriously doubt he comes back to Cuse, even though I hope he does.

This takes into account nothing of the position he is put in with injuries and defections, ignores his talent and ignores JB's culpability in this offense.

STOP.

JB isn't going to suddenly switch to being an offensive genius. There is no reason Battle should stay for the offsenive side of the ball.

Another year of the 2-3 zone hurts.

Draft picks, even second rounders, are more valuable than ever in the nba.

Battle should be gone.
In his currently skill set, Battle is at best a 2nd rounder playing in the G League and at worst undrafted and playing in a Euro League.

By your claim he isn’t going to get any better next year so he should go. My question to you is where is he going to go?

In his currently skill set, Battle is at best a 2nd rounder playing in the G League and at worst undrafted and playing in a Euro League.

By your claim he isn’t going to get any better next year so he should go. My question to you is where is he going to go?

NBA.

They can fix his shot.

He's top percentile in size for a not deep position.

He can score even though he's in a terrible offense and playing 1 on 5 most possessions and playing the #1MPG for any P5 player.

People actually need to watch the nba to see what's valued. What JB does is a joke.

NBA.

They can fix his shot.

He's top percentile in size for a not deep position.

He can score even though he's in a terrible offense and playing 1 on 5 most possessions and playing the #1MPG for any P5 player.

People actually need to watch the nba to see what's valued. What JB does is a joke.
Let me put this bluntly, Battle will not get drafted in the first round of the NBA draft this year.

Great. So he's a second rounder. He still makes millions and is in a functional offense.

Why would he come back? Geology class?
I suggest you educate yourself on the NBA draft.

While you’re at it, you may want to look at the average salary of a non-first round pick playing in the G League.

I suggest you educate yourself on the NBA draft.

While you’re at it, you may want to look at the average salary of a non-first round pick playing in the G League.

Are you kidding me? Between the overreach on salaries and cap slowing down and 2-way contracts, second rounders and rookies in general are more valued than at any time in nba history.

A 6'6" athletic 2 guard?

Lol. But thanks for the advice.

Are you kidding me? Between the overreach on salaries and cap slowing down and 2-way contracts, second rounders and rookies in general are more valued than at any time in nba history.

A 6'6" athletic 2 guard?

Lol. But thanks for the advice.
There’s no guarantees beyond the first round.

I’m not saying he won’t go, I’m just saying he’s not a first round pick. He’s gambling if he’s not in the first round.

I think he’d be better off staying for another year and improving his offensive skill set, which will undoubtedly improve with a better/deeper team.

Right now he’s an athletic guard that struggles with his outside shot and doesn’t finish in he lane consistently. Those guys don’t stick in the NBA.

I’m not saying he won’t go, I’m just saying he’s not a first round pick. He’s gambling if he’s not in the first round.

I think he’d be better off staying for another year and improving his offensive skill set, which will undoubtedly improve with a better/deeper team.

Right now he’s an athletic guard that struggles with his outside shot and doesn’t finish in he lane consistently. Those guys don’t stick in the NBA.
2nd round picks values have gone thru the roofs now because of the salary cap.
Teams will give 2nd round picks 4 year deals with at least one year guaranteed so they can have cheap contracts on the books.
Battle will get better coaching in the pro game game than he will at Syracuse.
He isn’t a first round pick but he may not want to play for free anymore.
College basketball does a terrible job developing talent as coaches coach them to their systems and they have limited time they can practice.

Why would Tyus come back? NBA scouts already ding SU players for the zone, but why would any player want to come back and play in this offensive system? Instead of highlighting a player's strengths, kids are run into the ground and forced into an iso system. As a result, numbers can be skewed and weaknesses become much more apparent.

Tyus has had a good year but his efficiency has taken a major hit, so why risk having his stock go even lower? If he can be a 2nd round pick, he should go. A two way contract would be great.

There is no evidence that JB will make him better.

None.

He will get drafted. 2nd rounders are wildly more valuable than ever before if he doesn't go in round one.

Here is what I know will hurt his draft stock:

Another year older.

Another year in the zone.

He is good enough to get drafted. JB wins games for Syracuse. He won't have Battle's NBA interest at heart.

Ugh! Our program has seemingly evolved to a has been one, where our best players bolt prematurely and don't even get us to the Dance along the way. Now, that's "disheartening." :(

People greatly underrate the non-draft variables that go into a "stay or go" decision. Have you heard a Syracuse player in the last 15+ years call JB a "player's coach"? Have you ever heard a player say they like playing for JB? That they learn a lot from him? That they value their time with him? That they're truly happy at SU and will miss it? Ask Malachi, Lydon, McCullough, Ennis, and soon to be Battle, if they enjoyed playing for JB. Yes, he's a HOF coach. Yes, he has 1,000+ wins. Yes, he's had plenty of 1st rounders play for him, won a NC, etc. The environment has changed and is changing, and JB is staying the same. Players want to play for a coach they like, and that seems to be an issue at SU these past 10+ years. And people always wonder why Syracuse players tend to leave early, before they're "NBA ready". Look at the common denominator.

There is no evidence that JB will make him better.

None.

He will get drafted. 2nd rounders are wildly more valuable than ever before if he doesn't go in round one.

Here is what I know will hurt his draft stock:

Another year older.

Another year in the zone.

He is good enough to get drafted. JB wins games for Syracuse. He won't have Battle's NBA interest at heart.
The person responsible for improving Battle’s game is Battle.

That is why Battle should get paid.
If he is going to be responsible himself for getting better why stay in school and get worse coaching, paid nothing, and have to go classes.
Battle should go.

Then JB should have retired last year if Battle is on his own.

What use is Syracuse if that's the case?

I know there will be talk of Battle leaving early, and possibly Brisset.

At this point there is no realistic chance either will get drafted in the first round. I’m not sure either would be guaranteed to be drafted in the 2nd round.

Both should stay. Plenty for them to improve upon, mainly on the offensive end.

I’m looking forward to seeing what this team can do with everyone back and healthy, plus adding the strong freshmen class. We should be fairly dominant next year.

Brisset isn't going anywhere professionally on this continent at least.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom