Draft Two Deep on Defense Pre Spring Practice | Syracusefan.com

Draft Two Deep on Defense Pre Spring Practice

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Not sure what to do with the years for the returning players. If they weren't seniors, I assumed they will take advantage of the 'free' 2020 year and not lose a year of eligibility. Didn't draw a distinction between redshirt and normal eligibility either.

It is going to be a very experienced DL, an inexperienced LB group and a ton of frosh in the secondary, who still have a surprising amount of experience.

DE Kingsley SR/Tuazama FR
DT Williams SR/Harper SR
DE Black SR/Okechukwu SO
SAM Thompson FR/Richards JR or Linton FR
MIKE Cantin-Arku SO/Kpogba SO
WILL Jones SO/Wax FR
ROV Carter FR/Hanna FR
BS Coley JR/LaBrosse FR
FS Greenwood FR/Folk FR
CB G Williams FR/Cole FR
CB Nunn FR/Atkinson FR or Chestnut FR

So A kid plays last yr.. gets it over and still has a RS too?

Coley having 2 yrs left would be nice if he used it. But dang we have a boatload of FR/SO Dbs and LBs

Williams was a nice surprise last yr.. Need a couple of the FR to get bigger and Chestnut to be close to his hype.

I do not feel lb is inexperienced. This appears the most experienced lb group we have had in several years. We are actually returning all our starters for the first time in years. It may say fr but they are actually so and jr.

Of that entire list, the thing that jumps out at me is the talent at LB. Last year we saw guys who brought a new degree of size and speed to the position that we hadn’t seen in a few years. But there was a lot of playing out of position, over pursuing, getting out of lanes,etc. If the coaches can now start to build on the playing time those guys hit last year by layering in some discipline and control it could be great, especially coupled with the development of the DBs. Accomplish that, and the three down linemen (and rover) could have the kind of disruptive impact we saw a couple of years ago.

Of that entire list, the thing that jumps out at me is the talent at LB. Last year we saw guys who brought a new degree of size and speed to the position that we hadn’t seen in a few years. But there was a lot of playing out of position, over pursuing, getting out of lanes,etc. If the coaches can now start to build on the playing time those guys hit last year by layering in some discipline and control it could be great, especially coupled with the development of the DBs. Accomplish that, and the three down linemen (and rover) could have the kind of disruptive impact we saw a couple of years ago.
Sounds like the staff would love to add a transfer at CB, one of the safety positions, or at DT if a good one pops up after spring practices are done and unhappy players start looking for new homes.

No question we went after a few players between semesters.

If we get a DL, it will surely be one with a couple of years of eligibility remaining. We don’t have much depth at DL and most of the players we have a young and undersized. Probably won’t be ready for play for a couple of years.

That might not be as important for the DB positions.

I would love to see Jones at rover and carter at FS but doubt it will happen
I've said before that I love our quality and quantity at LB and would like to take advantage and get our best talent on the field by playing 4 LB's. Our Fastest backer can play Rover (Believe even Cantin-Arku played some Safety in HS).
This would allow us to move Carter to FS.

One thing this new D does is provide playing time for a lot of guys.. Always good to have guys playing and not just watching.. The goal next yr though to have less plays to actually spread out because the offense has the ball a bit more.

LB group is packed with talent and potential. I've been a huge fan of Mikel since he stepped on the field. Thompson looks to be a star in the making.

Experience on the Dline is great. Agree with Tomcat that we need to bring in another guy to bolster depth for future years.

Secondary has too many question marks right now. Williams is a stud. Carter should be solid again. But after that it's a bit murky. Does Nunn or Chestnut emerge? Is Coley an every down player that can make an impact? We all saw how many injuries we dealt with last year. We need 1, probably 2 guys to make a leap this year.

Mikel is probably the best box player we have. I don't want him dropping in coverage. That takes away his strengths.
I know position switches are just speculation on this board, but watching Cantin Arku’s hs tape I think he could provide some value at safety. There’s potential imo

Hoping Folk’s physically ready like Carter was. Need a sizable FS. We’ve seen in the past how badly smaller safeties get toyed with by sizable Clemson/NCSU/FSU receivers.
What about labrose? He was 6’2 a little over 200 pounds when he came to campus. Easily could be 215 by the start of the season. He will also be more experienced in the system.

I know position switches are just speculation on this board, but watching Cantin Arku’s hs tape I think he could provide some value at safety. There’s potential imo
In HS his coverage was solid but looking at him now I wouldnt put him there. He is 30 pounds heavier now and been developing as a LB the last 3 years. I think he will take the next step there.

In HS his coverage was solid but looking at him now I wouldnt put him there. He is 30 pounds heavier now and been developing as a LB the last 3 years. I think he will take the next step there.

He also plays with a little nastiness. Needs to reign it in a little but it’s something I like to see in a MLB

Hoping Folk’s physically ready like Carter was. Need a sizable FS. We’ve seen in the past how badly smaller safeties get toyed with by sizable Clemson/NCSU/FSU receivers.
Not to mention how undersized safeties get abused in run support.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom