Draft Two Deep on Defense Pre Spring Practice | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Draft Two Deep on Defense Pre Spring Practice

Rover is a safety that can play in the box. Not a LB with limited cover skills. You still need true DB skills. In certain plays/schemes, the rover needs to fill in for coverage in areas where the DB may vacate. For example, you might want to sneak both safeties in the box for the run game, The rover will need to drop and be the deep middle safety in cover 3. Jones should never be in that area of the field lol. He will get exposed.
In depends on how you run it. Dino himself said that Urlacher was the Rover in this system.

In depends on how you run it. Dino himself said that Urlacher was the Rover in this system.
That was when Brian was at New Mexico in college. He was a once in a million athlete and he put on 45 pounds of muscle while in college. When he got to the pros, he was immediately moved to LB, where he stayed the rest of his career.

His DC at New Mexico was, incidentally, Bronco Mendenhall. I didn't know he had experience with the Long 3-3-5 defense. Something to think about when we play the Cavs.

That was when Brian was at New Mexico in college. He was a once in a million athlete and he put on 45 pounds of muscle while in college. When he got to the pros, he was immediately moved to LB, where he stayed the rest of his career.

His DC at New Mexico was, incidentally, Bronco Mendenhall. I didn't know he had experience with the Long 3-3-5 defense. Something to think about when we play the Cavs.

BYU played 3-3-5 defense under Mendenhall when he was HC there.

Yes but we do a lot. Because of the 5 DB’s on the field you get to play multiple coverages without changing personnel and we can get to different zones in a variety of ways. Then the Rover has to be able to cover Wr’s man to man. Keep in mind Urlacher arrived at Mexico as a tall lean athlete. Came in a DB and was converted. He didn’t spend too much time as LB. Because of that the Rover became more natural for him.

Last edited:
BYU played 3-3-5 defense under Mendenhall when he was HC there.
Sounds like he mostly used a 3-4 there, like he is doing at Virginia. But he is using some of the concepts and did bounce some with a couple of alignments.

I wonder if he will ever implement it at Virginia? I doubt it. It has been a long time since he was exposed to it and there have been a lot of updates he is probably not privvy to.

Sounds like he mostly used a 3-4 there, like he is doing at Virginia. But he is using some of the concepts and did bounce some with a couple of alignments.

I wonder if he will ever implement it at Virginia? I doubt it. It has been a long time since he was exposed to it and there have been a lot of updates he is probably not privvy to.
Yeah, BYU didn't have exceptional secondary talent, so I don't believe he used it exclusively. But I distinctly remember them playing some while he was here.

When he makes plays its normally a big play but he definitely has his weaknesses. He just makes up for it. This will be his second full year as a starter so I want to see him get better vs direct run. He struggled vs teams that ran power on us.
So agree with that. I’m more dip and rip guy. Su seams more throw hands and get off but doesn’t happen with all the holding they allow. Old days with Conley and bullock they could fight off and win. too small at this point.

Yeah they all get washed more than I like lol. Don't let the size fool you. I like Jones a little more because of his natural instincts plus he's a dawg/ Doesnt back down to anyone and I think the whole unit reacts off his energy. He can make plays from his reads and not just from called blitzes. They all do some things better than the others but Jones has made plays attacking on blitzes, scrapping underneath blockers and dropping in coverage despite his size. I like Thompson a lot but he also gets swallowed on the edge and loses outside leverage. He did get better with that as the season went on. His tackling got better too. Jones definitely get swallowed at times when the run comes directly at him ( a lot of that has to do with the D line not occupying O lineman). I just think overall he makes up for it more than the others do.
Agree to that also

Labrosse had a play last season at the goal line where the QB ran some kind of RPO or option to the outside, and he read it perfectly and knifed into the backfield for the tackle.

It was a really impressive play. I feel like we maybe sometimes see the right read, but not the clean and immediate wrap up too.

It was just one play, but it showed what he could be capable of and how he can impact a game. Not sure did he's ready to do that consistently next season, but it's likely more a question of when than if.

So instead of Labrosse can we call this kid “the boss”?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom