Class of 2019 - DT Brandon Tiassum (ND grad transfer) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 DT Brandon Tiassum (ND grad transfer)

It does like who?
I'm assuming the three main inside guys are Black, Ruff and Williams. Two start and the third rotates in. In reserve, Grosvenor is a senior, and there's Harper. Coop's going to need a year in the oven. The only frosh that looks physically ready is the Android - he's on campus but is listed as a DE (could still play inside). Munoz and Rondi arrive in July ... hard to believe either could contribute with barely 8 weeks of practice.

Last edited:
I'm assuming the three main inside guys are Black, Ruff and Williams. Two start and the third rotates in. In reserve, Grosvenor is a senior, and there's Harper. Coop's going to need a year in the oven. The only frosh that looks physically ready is the Android - he's on campus but is listed as a DE (could still play inside). Munoz and Rondi arrive in July ... hard to believe either could contribute with barely 8 weeks of practice.
Drew T.' going to have to add 30-40 lbs in 4-5 months just not to get blown off the ball by ACC Offensive Linemen. Tough to do.

Drew T.' going to have to add 30-40 lbs in 4-5 months just not to get blown off the ball by ACC Offensive Linemen. Tough to do.
Agree, and I don't want to drag the thread down with a weight-judging contest. But he looks bigger than 244 - Tomcat, Go and I couldn't help but notice the guns ... considerable!

Agree, and I don't want to drag the thread down with a weight-judging contest. But he looks bigger than 244 - Tomcat, Go and I couldn't help but notice the guns ... considerable!
He might well grow into a DT. In the meantime, I like his short term future at DE.

Someone pointed out to me that he was playing against walk on OGs, which is true. But he was playing out of position at DT, so I remain quite impressed with his play. The young players are looking good!

It does like who?

The new kids. Cooper Dawson, Jason Munoz - the kid we flipped from Miami, and Joe Rondi from Jersey.
That kid Caleb Okechuwku is an end, but he may move inside as he gains weight, too.
Hopefully one or two of these kids show well this year.
I realize that they are not big enough yet - on paper - but maybe they have been improving in the offseason.

I don't know. Adding 40 or 50 lbs is WAY down the road. Munoz or Rondi could be game ready but do we think they are ? I don't. Here's the DTs on the roster. Among the 3 horses, youre one blown knee away from having a serious issue. If these 3 hold up taking 98% of the snaps I'll be impressed.

Kenneth Ruff 302 Sr.
McKinley Williams 29 4Sr.
Shaq Grosvenor 284 R-Sr.
Josh Black 277 R-Jr.
Curtis Harper 310 R-So.

I don't really see anyplace else resources should be applied right now.

9 DEs on the roster is because 4 of them are seniors and 1 - Jonathon is already a junior.
Remember Chris Thorner? He was moved (2004) from OL to DL and did a nice job. Maybe, in a pinch, we could move a player like Duerig who is amazingly strong and buried on the OL depth chart. A player like him could help keep the LB's uncovered.

I think last year on 3rd and long we played 3 DE on the line as well. Could help to limit snaps to the 3 who will be getting the most playing time.

Remember Chris Thorner? He was moved (2004) from OL to DL and did a nice job. Maybe, in a pinch, we could move a player like Duerig who is amazingly strong and buried on the OL depth chart. A player like him could help keep the LB's uncovered.
I feel like this gets suggested every year and has never happened. Maybe a reflection of how hard it is for us to recruit DTs.

Of course they aren't -- they're true freshman. But they are both around 260 as incoming frosh, and have the right frames to play inside. We need to keep in mind that we're bringing in athletes, developing them, over time and "growing" them into athletic DTs. So in an ideal world, both of those guys redshirt, then perhaps play in a limited capacity as redshirt frosh, and then ascend into bigger roles as sophomores -- i.e., their third year in the program.

The template: McKinley Williams came in as a 245 pound frosh, and was forced to play as a true frosh due to depth constraints. He's now a tall, athletic 294 pounds. Josh Black is another guy who came in and started games at DE, but now is disruptive as a DT. Ruff was a LB, he looked great at DT toward the end of the year.

The real issue is roster balance. We're top heavy on upperclassman at both defensive line positions.
Good post. If anything, I would like to bring in guys that can play in 2020. Gunter was perfect. He was eligible to play the followng year but we lost him. Im sure the staff will continue to search for a DE and DT transfer that can help next year. In case the younger DL aren't developing fast enough.

Even if he's 260 now he's probably a year away. I think in the ACC you really need to be around 290 to hold up inside. That said wouldn't it also be nice to leave him at DE playing at 260/265? I do like his short term future at DE.

We will get through this year with what we have in the interior. Im sure Tiassum wants to play as a senior and not be a rotational player. There are bodies that can be used if guys get banged up. Along with Grosevor and Harper helping, Kingsley can slide inside at times. The 4 games redshirt rules helps us too. Big bodies like Tuazama can be used. Specifically for pass rushing from the 3 tech. Goulbourne and Linton are the only sure DE's I see coming in. The rest of the DL all show better potential as interior players IMO. They obviously need time to develop their bodies before they can contribute.

We will get through this year with what we have in the interior. Im sure Tiassum wants to play as a senior and not be a rotational player. There are bodies that can be used if guys get banged up. Along with Grosevor and Harper helping, Kingsley can slide inside at times. The 4 games redshirt rules helps us too. Big bodies like Tuazama can be used. Specifically for pass rushing from the 3 tech. Goulbourne and Linton are the only sure DE's I see coming in. The rest of the DL all show better potential as interior players IMO. They obviously need time to develop their bodies before they can contribute.

Good point about the new 4 game redshirt rules.

"for school" but they're not getting a graduate degree. They're going for football.
Well, basketball players aren't getting a degree, so let's not have basketball.
Also, they have to remain academically eligible. Obtaining their degree is not a requirement. They couldn't do that at their original school either. BTW, I will bet a fair number eventually get their degree.

Also, they have to remain academically eligible. Obtaining their degree is not a requirement. They couldn't do that at their original school either. BTW, I will bet a fair number eventually get their degree.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Which is why they should close the loophole. With the most recent proposal. Which makes obtaining the degree a requirement.

NCAA proposal that would curtail graduate transfers not expected to pass

Which is why they should close the loophole. With the most recent proposal. Which makes obtaining the degree a requirement.

NCAA proposal that would curtail graduate transfers not expected to pass

Doesn't matter. Eventually they will pass a rule allowing all transfers to play immediately, unless academically ineligible at their previous institution. It's the only thing that makes sense, and would make the closing of this loophole null and void.

Huh?

1555726075545.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom