DT McKinley Williams out indefinitely with lower-body injury | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

DT McKinley Williams out indefinitely with lower-body injury

Camp injuries are terrible especially to teams like Syracuse University who are still trying to build depth at certain positions. However once an injury occurs, it is incumbent upon the players within that position group to step it up. Grosvenor who is a senior, Harper who has been in the program for three years, Morton same and I hear good things about true freshman Tuazama. Hopefully Williams injury is a not serious lingering one. I have faith that someone(s) including some of the other true freshman will step up and contribute. Come on guys, next man up. Go Orange!!!!!!!!

What is?

Guys get hurt on every football team.
Injuries to a position with limited depth that has been identified by everyone as a position where injuries are a concern. If it's just a 2 week sprained ankle sort of thing I don't think his family would have flown into town from Florida. Could be wrong but some basic reasoning leads me to think its serious.

Camp injuries are terrible especially to teams like Syracuse University who are still trying to build depth at certain positions. However once an injury occurs, it is incumbent upon the players within that position group to step it up. Grosvenor who is a senior, Harper who has been in the program for three years, Morton same and I hear good things about true freshman Tuazama. Hopefully Williams injury is a not serious lingering one. I have faith that someone(s) including some of the other true freshman will step up and contribute. Come on guys, next man up. Go Orange!!!

That's definitely the optimistic side of things -- that it hopefully accelerates the immersion and development of Grosvenor / Harper, and that the depth is better for it once Williams returns.

Target to me is healthy by Clemson.

We're gonna take care of business the first 2 games no problem. Clemson is when the full stable really matters.

Target for me is the Maryland game. We lose that one and the wind in the sail is far less for the Clemson game. OL and DT after QB are the top two positions we need to be healthy. Not off to the best start but it’s hard to avoid injuries at those positions.

Camp injuries are terrible especially to teams like Syracuse University who are still trying to build depth at certain positions. However once an injury occurs, it is incumbent upon the players within that position group to step it up. Grosvenor who is a senior, Harper who has been in the program for three years, Morton same and I hear good things about true freshman Tuazama. Hopefully Williams injury is a not serious lingering one. I have faith that someone(s) including some of the other true freshman will step up and contribute. Come on guys, next man up. Go Orange!!!
Any ACC D1 quality DT can't be just 250lbs. Just isn't a thing.

Anyone who doesn’t think Ruff is good enough to start is wrong. Sure, depth is a concern, but if this is the only injury we have all year we will be as good as people think.

Anyone who doesn’t think Ruff is good enough to start is wrong. Sure, depth is a concern, but if this is the only injury we have all year we will be as good as people think.
99% sure it won’t be. Football doesn’t work that way. That’s why depth is so important.

Target for me is the Maryland game. We lose that one and the wind in the sail is far less for the Clemson game. OL and DT after QB are the top two positions we need to be healthy. Not off to the best start but it’s hard to avoid injuries at those positions.
For reasons I've documented ad nauseum in the past here, we're not losing the Maryland game.

For reasons I've documented ad nauseum in the past here, we're not losing the Maryland game.

Well I’m not sure why you’re so confident but this is a game SU typically loses. I know Dino is better than every coach we’ve had since Mac left but it’s far from a layup to win an away game against a Big Ten team other than Rutgers.

Well I’m not sure why you’re so confident but this is a game SU typically loses. I know Dino is better than every coach we’ve had since Mac left but it’s far from a layup to win an away game against a Big Ten team other than Rutgers.

When I look at the first two games and the bigger picture injury wise- the OL is what sticks out. We need a healthy strong OL going into both of those games. Keep Tommy upright, let the talented stable of backs do their thing and walk comfortably into Sept 14th at 2-0. Problems at OL then issues putting points on the board and we could be on pins and needles weeks 1 and 2. Not to mention having to hope the weather cooperates and again we are on the road.

We’re in a better position than people think. While we don’t have a lot of proven depth, we have depth. An upperclassman will step up or a freshman or redshirt freshman will step up.

The fact is, D-Line was good enough over the past 2 years that young guys haven’t gotten a real chance to play. Now they’ll get that chance.

i feel like its a high ankle sprain
Looks like his mother next to him? I'll go out on a limb, and guess parents dont fly in from florida for a sprain. :-(

Elmore some practice at DT? Even though he's not a full go yet. Who do we have at DT?

Black
Ruff
Harper

Assuming this is a longer term injury (which it appears to be) I think moving Elmore back to DT full time (once he's fully clear) makes the most sense. As much of a weapon as he is being a FB and helping in our power run game, he could have much more of an impact as a DT then he every could as an occasional FB. Also, while its not optimal for a guy his size he could still see a few snaps on O as needed as he would be a rotational DT and not playing every snap like Slayton. If nothing else Black and Ruff should sit out any heavy scrimmage at this point. I know that sounds over the top but with Mckinley out the last thing we need is one of those guys blowing a knee or shoulder tackling the 5th string RB. There both upperclassmen and know how to play.

Agreed. Also think Tuazama has the potential to be the next Alton Robinson or better. Kid is a freak and built stronger than Alton. Wouldn’t surprise me if he cracks the rotation this year and that’s saying something.

Assuming this is a longer term injury (which it appears to be) I think moving Elmore back to DT full time (once he's fully clear) makes the most sense. As much of a weapon as he is being a FB and helping in our power run game, he could have much more of an impact as a DT then he every could as an occasional FB. Also, while its not optimal for a guy his size he could still see a few snaps on O as needed as he would be a rotational DT and not playing every snap like Slayton. If nothing else Black and Ruff should sit out any heavy scrimmage at this point. I know that sounds over the top but with Mckinley out the last thing we need is one of those guys blowing a knee or shoulder tackling the 5th string RB. There both upperclassmen and know how to play.
I do like the idea. Do we know if Elmore played any DL in high school?

I do like the idea. Do we know if Elmore played any DL in high school?

Yes, DT [and RB, which is a pretty odd / amazing combo].

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom