DT McKinley Williams out indefinitely with lower-body injury | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

DT McKinley Williams out indefinitely with lower-body injury

Whatever it is, I just wish young Mr. Williams a full recovery and that someone(s) step up and fill the void. Go Orange!!!!
We can all have wishful thinking...
and some of us can critically think how this could really affect us.

To me it’s hasnt been very critical and more just looking in the dirt and saying “woe is us” every team has injuries and there is no guarantee that it is for long term. Next man up. At the very least Harper and Grov will get more first team reps to be ready.

And somehow you think I don't realize what a tremendous setback this is for the defensive line and how it will effect the rotations. How for the rest of camp, the first two on the depth chart for the entire defensive line will be walking on egg shells? Believe me I realize what the ramifications are, but there is absolutely nothing that can be done other than everybody else still playing, picks it up a notch until this gets all sorted out. In the meantime, Go Orange!!!!!!!!

if it was serious enough to be real long term why would he be at practice at all with a boot/wheel device?

They usually use those knee walkers if you have a break. Maybe foot or ankle. Either could mean 2-3 months out at a minimum.

They usually use those knee walkers if you have a break. Maybe foot or ankle. Either could mean 2-3 months out at a minimum.
This staff has also used them for high ankle sprains and other non broken bone issues last season.
They are really cautious with sprains, twists, pulls etc...
Only time will tell what really happen.

This is how I understand it as well. After speaking with a couple ortho friends the fact that he has the scooter means they don’t want him weight bearing which would indicate more of 5th metatarsal or bone type injury (4-6 weeks best case if 5th met). Doubtful that an ankle sprain injury because they usually don’t use the scooter since one can still be weight-bearing with most ankle injuries and not affect recovery. I guess still possible though if want to be overly cautious but not common practice.

Well I’m not sure why you’re so confident but this is a game SU typically loses. I know Dino is better than every coach we’ve had since Mac left but it’s far from a layup to win an away game against a Big Ten team other than Rutgers.
That's not fair to Paul, who was an excellent coach for at least the 1st half of his tenure. Had Vick not changed his mind, Paul would have had a NC. I

Can we just shut down full contact until Sep 14? Keep the boys fresh.

This is how I understand it as well. After speaking with a couple ortho friends the fact that he has the scooter means they don’t want him weight bearing which would indicate more of 5th metatarsal or bone type injury (4-6 weeks best case if 5th met). Doubtful that an ankle sprain injury because they usually don’t use the scooter since one can still be weight-bearing with most ankle injuries and not affect recovery. I guess still possible though if want to be overly cautious but not common practice.
The dreaded potato metatarsal.

I think he's going to be a good player but at DT not DE. We already have 5-6 DE ahead of him and with so much depth he'll RS and not play at all this year. No need to rotate him in at DE to blow a RS year for a few plays.
That doesn't happen anymore, player can play in up to 4 games and still redshirt.

Whatever injury it is I just want him to not come back too soon and have it bother him all year and as others have said SU needs the others to step up so he can heal and not rush back.

Could be all sorts of injuries. Had a boot for a few months after I broke my talus a while back. Took 2 months before I could walk again.

As someone else has said, the knee scooter indicates he is non-weight bearing. You don't usually see that with a sprain unless it's really bad. My guess is a broken bone. Sometimes that can mean a quicker recovery than some of the nagging sprains like a high ankle sprain (which really doesn't involve the ankle).

In looking at the roster Froumy played DT in HS and was very good. I wonder if it makes sense to move someone over.

It never makes sense to move on OL to DL as a break-the-glass measure.

Elmore makes a little more sense, because at least he's cross-trained at the collegiate level at DT.

I’ll be surprised if they move Elmore at this point. More likely to move a DE to DT. We’ll see.

I’ll be surprised if they move Elmore at this point. More likely to move a DE to DT. We’ll see.

There are no DEs on the roster big enough to play DT. Elmore is the best shot. This is the problem with how thin we are at DT. I was hoping the last class would give us at least one bona fide DT. I hope they are scouring the JUCO ranks and transfer portal.

Last edited:

I wouldn't -- Elmore isn't an every down offensive player, and he's practiced at DT.

I don't think the workload would be too overwhelming even if he plays both ways [situationally on D]. I'm sure that the kid instead of just playing X number of snaps would prefer to play X+Y, helping to shore up a big team need while being this generation's version of Diamond Ferri. ; )

There are no DEs on the roster big enough to play DT. Elmore is the best shot. This is the problem with how thin we are at DT. I was hoping the last class would give us at least one bona fide DT. I hope they are scouring the JUCO ranks and transfer portal.

I wouldn't be surprised if the staff were exploring creative options, such as looking at Milford Academy to see if they have some DT prospect who is eligible and could fit our system.

But I doubt that there's any fruit on the JUCO / transfer front at this point, with camp having already started.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom