Class of 2015 - DT Steven Clark (AL) Signed LOI | Page 41 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 DT Steven Clark (AL) Signed LOI

I can, because it means his word is worth little. Simple, not sure say nothing and you live up to your own honor and character.
No one forced him to make a commitment. This is my feeling toward anyone not just this young man, and I understand there are pressures, but those who live up to what they say even given those pressures are the most valuable people both as friends and associates.
I still wish him well whatever he does.
Here's a legitimate question though... and I need to ask it of myself. I include myself in the folks that think your word should mean something, if you say it... do it. It kills me that Clark may flip from the the Orange to the Gators after making a public, verbal commitment. However, Clark also flipped from South Alabama to Syracuse... did you write something similar for that flip? I know I didn't, probably should have.

SUbear said:
I can, because it means his word is worth little. Simple, not sure say nothing and you live up to your own honor and character. No one forced him to make a commitment. This is my feeling toward anyone not just this young man, and I understand there are pressures, but those who live up to what they say even given those pressures are the most valuable people both as friends and associates. I still wish him well whatever he does.

Yeah - but it's not hard to see myself as an 18 year old trying to make this choice... And struggling with it. It's apart of growing up.

Here's a legitimate question though... and I need to ask it of myself. I include myself in the folks that think your word should mean something, if you say it... do it. It kills me that Clark may flip from the the Orange to the Gators after making a public, verbal commitment. However, Clark also flipped from South Alabama to Syracuse... did you write something similar for that flip? I know I didn't, probably should have.
No I did not, but is South Alabama D1? I actually did not know he had made a commitment prior to SU, if he did.
After some research, he had a soft verbal to South Alabama, honestly not sure if a soft verbal is the same because you basically are saying you are open to better offers. This makes the commitment you gave less than solid, because you were up front with the other party as to your intentions. For me that is just not the same.

Last edited:
I agree it is a dirty business and I did tell Shy if you commit here and the big boys come calling later I dont want you decommiting. this man gave you his word if you get hurt he says you have a scholarship, If you miss the grades he will wait for you. I told him the only way he could break the promise he made would be if the staff left. I told him he could not hold up these guys time.. they need to get a team together and they have picked you...if you commit its done there is no jumping ship you stick with who had faith in you first. But thats not for every person just my opinion... in the end its up to the kids

Zaire Franklin was like this last year. We were one of the first schools on him, he built a strong relationship, then PSU, Clemson, Louisville, and others tried to come in late, and he wouldn't even talk to them. Gained a ton of respect for him.

The funny thin about this is I dont see him being recruited over. I mean we want this kid as a number 1 choice the UF staff wants him pretty bad ole miss came snooping...this may be because he is the kid you want in that position. Why would we want a kid that another school can get a better kid..i think he is the real deal.

I present to you Cardale Jones as exhibit A of what I and others are referring to. A kid that can flat out ball, but the world would never know about becuase they're stuck behind a kid that can ALSO ball. This is where going to a school that gets you on the field and playing gets your skills up and noticed.

I never said Clarke wasnt the real deal. I am just being real here.

Do not post often, but I do know that this must be a tough decision. There is a place that says Let Your Yea be Yea and You Nay be Nay. I certainly would like my life to reflect on my word. You have to be certain so when something pretty comes walking along you have the strength to stand because you were certain that you made the decision that you were told too. That is just me though, or at least strive to accomplish. Takes the pressure off if you let it. Grace

I definitely had mixed emotions. There needs to be an early signing period it won't cure all ills, but it would be at help some. You basically have grown men telling teenagers not to keep their word.

I have a question for all. Isn't a 6'3" offensive lineman an inch or two short for the pros? DL at 6'3" seems perfect height for pros. I'm thinking he's best for the DL if he wants to get his shot for the pros.

Seems like he could really follow in the footsteps of the Jones brothers & Jay Bromley. Or maybe I'm wearing my orange colored glasses right now.

Hope he picks Syracuse - but like I said before I'm glad UF & Miss is now in the picture. Now we know we have a great potential DL recruit.

I have a question for all. Isn't a 6'3" offensive lineman an inch or two short for the pros? DL at 6'3" seems perfect height for pros. I'm thinking he's best for the DL if he wants to get his shot for the pros.

Seems like he could really follow in the footsteps of the Jones brothers & Jay Bromley. Or maybe I'm wearing my orange colored glasses right now.

Hope he picks Syracuse - but like I said before I'm glad UF & Miss is now in the picture. Now we know we have a great potential DL recruit.

6'3 is fine for center, but imo he would have a much better chance of making the pro's as a D-lineman, just for the fact that there are more D-lineman on an active NFL roster.

6'3 is fine for center, but imo he would have a much better chance of making the pro's as a D-lineman, just for the fact that there are more D-lineman on an active NFL roster.
but nobody thinks he is a DE or OT, so rather than OL vs. DL, isn't it really C/OG vs. DT? I am not an expert on the breakdowns of NFL rosters by position, but do DT's really outnumber C/OG's (the answer could very well be yes, I don't know).

but nobody thinks he is a DE or OT, so rather than OL vs. DL, isn't it really C/OG vs. DT? I am not an expert on the breakdowns of NFL rosters by position, but do DT's really outnumber C/OG's (the answer could very well be yes, I don't know).

If it was C/OG then i'd say they would out number DT's. I thought he specifically targeted for center? Who know's it's probably close, I was just trying to be persuasive :noidea:

Anyone know what time his re-announcement is?

I don't know about most people but I think if you tell a man you have a deal and you shake his hand, you have a deal. Even at 18. It's part of learning about honor and being a righteous man. Make your decision carefully and then live with it.

Either way, I can't wait to congratulate 3 star Syracuse DT Steven Clark tomorrow or for certain 4-star Florida OL with multiple SEC offers Steven Clark when that happens next week ;)

I think this line of thinking makes sense.

The pessimistic version of this...
He doesn't want to flip AGAIN. Announces the flip to UF if no offer from Ole Miss. If the Rebs offer he delays the process.

I agree it is a dirty business and I did tell Shy if you commit here and the big boys come calling later I dont want you decommiting. this man gave you his word if you get hurt he says you have a scholarship, If you miss the grades he will wait for you. I told him the only way he could break the promise he made would be if the staff left. I told him he could not hold up these guys time.. they need to get a team together and they have picked you...if you commit its done there is no jumping ship you stick with who had faith in you first. But thats not for every person just my opinion... in the end its up to the kids
EXACTLY what we told our son. It's not a game to play with coaches that have invested time! When Trey said he wanted syracuse we said shut recruiting down then

Respectfully disagree with the way the rules are now. Scholarships are no guarantee in the event of an injury (yet, though that change is likely coming soon thankfully), so you are committing to the coaching staff and trusting them.

I think a kid owes it to themselves to evaluate all options as they come and decide what is best for them. There are obviously good and bad ways to go about this (especially in the age of social media), but I don't know that a kid should get penalized for committing before signing day if he gets some new options that didn't exist before he made his previous commitment.

Spence to me is an example of the offers not always being there if you miss the grades. Lindor/Robinson are examples that an accepted offer doesn't mean much. Not saying a school can wait on kids either, but I won't think any less of Steven if he moves elsewhere (since he was originally a South Alabama commit and we were a stronger option for him, as evidenced by the flip) just like I wouldn't think less of Howard/Pickard flipping to Syracuse.

IMO, as long as coaches have the right to rescind offers, kids have the right to flip.

If he goes to Fla he may enjoy the school and his education but next year they will recruit over his head and he will be a second or third stringer on offense for his career vs coming to SU starting his second year and developing his skill set to maybe play at the next level. What a shame the bright lights of FU will cost him his defensive career that he so much wanted. Hope he has his sunglasses on and can see the best choice clearly.

I know some ppl take offense to this post but I agree with it 100%.

The truth is Florida has had a much better run recently and they regularly pull 4 and 5 star recruits. They're recovering from a coaching change so they are scrambling for bodies. Next year once they recruit a full cycle they will be back to their normal recruiting years.

We're about to get back there but need a good 4 year cycle until we are a regularly ranked team. Until then we need to rely on the talent evaluation acumen of our staff.

If Clark flips he faces much greater threat of a local 5 star beast coming in next year. He may very well be good enough to hold that 5 star kid off but that ain't happening at Cuse.

I hope the kid comes here and I won't be mad at him or his family if he flips but let's be honest about the difference between the situations each school presents.

I never said I would hold it against him. I think steven is a great kid and his family seems very nice. I said for shy coach told him those things about guaranteeing a scholarship... No nothing is in writing but I take him at his word. Spence isn't able to sign on signing day... Who said they wouldn't take him when he qualifies? I think every kd should keep his options open also. All I was saying was shy and I agreed you give some one a commitment that's your word you want to keep shopping tell the coaches that and let them build. I have always said take your officals so you have a plan b if one of those big changes come along but if everything stays the same you go home with who brought you to the dance

I know some ppl take offense to this post but I agree with it 100%.

The truth is Florida has had a much better run recently and they regularly pull 4 and 5 star recruits. They're recovering from a coaching change so they are scrambling for bodies. Next year once they recruit a full cycle they will be back to their normal recruiting years.

We're about to get back there but need a good 4 year cycle until we are a regularly ranked team. Until then we need to rely on the talent evaluation acumen of our staff.

If Clark flips he faces much greater threat of a local 5 star beast coming in next year. He may very well be good enough to hold that 5 star kid off but that ain't happening at Cuse.

I hope the kid comes here and I won't be mad at him or his family if he flips but let's be honest about the difference between the situations each school presents.
I guess you missed my point... I think he is a four or five star and is just under rated by that awesome system