Duke and North Carolina’s transitions are why I hope we don’t hire an internal candidate as next HC | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Duke and North Carolina’s transitions are why I hope we don’t hire an internal candidate as next HC

North Carolina doesn’t even have top 10 class yet. They are close to getting a 5 star that will move them up. Kentucky clearly has the top 2023 recruiting classes with consensus top player and 2 other top 10 prospects in their class.

Duke has a higher 2023 class as of now than North Carolina.
Carolina got a 5 star 2024 kid who is a stud who could reclassify but their class isn’t close to the top class in 2023.

In fact Carolina lost it’s top 2023 commit to South Carolina before this season.
I guess it depends on which rankings you're looking at. According to 24/7 and on3, it's Carolina with the #1 class.
rankings.png

It has nothing to do with them being internal. Scheyer wasn't qualified for the role. Had Capel not been struggling at Pitt, they'd have called him home. Hubert Davis got them to the Championship in his first year and is having a slight bump in the road. Recruiting hasn't skipped a beat and they're still landing blue chips. It's about how it will all come together. If Hopkins didn't piss the bed in Seattle, he'd have been on the short list.

See what orange colored glasses can do for you. If recruits thought we were still relevant they would not spurn us in such large numbers.
We’ll see what happens when our coach isn’t 80.

Maybe we’ll bounce back like FSU football and PSU football did once their legendary coaches that stuck around too long, finally retired.

We’ll see what happens when our coach isn’t 80.

Maybe we’ll bounce back like FSU football and PSU football did once their legendary coaches that stuck around too long, finally retired.
Before this season, FSUs coach was on the hot seat. Taggart failed and Norvell was doing just as bad a job.

Hop might still be under consideration. I would look more favorably on his gain of experience than on his lack of success. A lot of very good coaches had a rocky start, and even the great coach K's job was in jeopardy early on in his career due to some very lean years. Along with Hop, Red should get a look, along with the top/highly regarded assistant coaches across the country (regardless of whether or not the assistant is from a rival school).

How do you explain that the same coach that "does not talk to his players and who always plays an outdated system" used to be successful? Did he talk to his players more? Did he forget how to play zone?
It would appear that he talked to recruits more previously and the zone is outdated due to a change in the play style across the country.

In fairness that's not an evaluation that's simply an idiot...

I presume you're referencing Meyer as the idiot. As the one whom did the "evaluation" hired a guy who took that same team to the Division round of the playoffs this year/the very next season.

I assume you're referencing Meyer as the idiot. As the one whom did the "evaluation" hired a guy who took that same team to the Division round of the playoffs the very next season.

Correct

Whatever we do we need to do it quick so this board can collectively get over it

I too have a opinion on this thread's topic. Hiring within has the pro that I like Coach Autry and Coach McNamara. I am concerned about name recognition and recruiting. So spending megabucks to brink in a star coach may help more with recruiting. Plus, bringing in a star coach for megabucks will create a media buzz and good PR is good for recruiting. I'm mixed about bringing back Coach Hopkins. Again, I'm most concerned about what a new head coach brings with recruiting. I know coaches Autry and McNamara are very familiar with the recruiting circuit after so many years. If we end up with Autry or McNamara as head coach we need to pray and hope the program remains at a high level after an inevitable dip. Maybe we the fans will get lucky if the current fab freshmen stay another year and we get a 5th year out of one of the seniors and they play for the new head coach (if JB retires). This would help with recruiting and name recognition if the team does well. So my bottom line is bring is the best head coach that will bring in the best recruits.

I will now do what you did to me. Widely regarded as the best recruiter in CBB by whom?
Capel did a better job at Duke before he went to Pitt.

Plus Calipari is better than Scheyer no doubt as a recruiter.
Jon was the top recruiter at the best basketball school in the country. Duke was at or near as good every year with UK. Capel wasn’t even second on Duke’s list for HC.

At the end of the day, we can point to anecdotal examples, but there's no all-encompassing best practice. Sometimes internal hires work out, sometimes it's best to conduct a national search.

I personally would lean towards the latter and prefer we stop this madness that the entire SU coaching staff needs to be comprised of former SU basketball players. It's clearly not leading to success on the court over the past decade.

100% in agreement.

I’m still dreaming about Nate Oats. I still think we’re a destination job.
If we don't hire him this year I think he could end up at Duke or UNC next year.

Those fanbases have no reason to hang onto Scheyer or Davis they either win big next year or they are shopping for a new HC with us.

Giving JB another season might mean the death of our program and 10+ more years of obsurity if we are looking for a new coach when other blue bloods are and don't get someone good.

If we don't hire him this year I think he could end up at Duke or UNC next year.

Those fanbases have no reason to hang onto Scheyer or Davis they either win big next year or they are shopping for a new HC with us.

Giving JB another season might mean the death of our program and 10+ more years of obsurity if we are looking for a new coach when other blue bloods are and don't get someone good.
If there really is a national search, you make a good point that we should be rooting for Duke's and UNC's success. We want to be the best job available at the time.

How do you explain that the same coach that "does not talk to his players and who always plays an outdated system" used to be successful? Did he talk to his players more? Did he forget how to play zone?
So you still don't see any issue with zone all the time and don't think the game has evolved at all over the years Alaska?

Jon was the top recruiter at the best basketball school in the country. Duke was at or near as good every year with UK. Capel wasn’t even second on Duke’s list for HC.
Not hard to recruit at dook when K is the HC

If anything this just goes to show us how hard it is to win at an elite level year after year.

If anything this just goes to show us how hard it is to win at an elite level year after year.
It is. Even when the HC isn’t shooting the team in the foot.

I hope we change the latter to help get back to the former.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom