Duke and North Carolina’s transitions are why I hope we don’t hire an internal candidate as next HC | Syracusefan.com

Duke and North Carolina’s transitions are why I hope we don’t hire an internal candidate as next HC

SUMJF

Walk On
UNC made a nice run in the tournament last year for sure.
I just don’t think Syracuse after the previous 8 years can have a next HC who will be learning the job on the fly.
Duke is definitely having a tough transition from K to this new guy.
Hubert Davis made the championship game last year but he was an 8 seed last year and this year went from preseason #1 to having an underachieving season thus far.

Syracuse shouldn’t follow this suit. Hopefully John Wildhack is watching these transitions and realizes that we will need a HC that isn’t going to need to learn on the job.

Virginia Tech is 1-7 in ACC play and they are handling Duke thus far tonight.

Whatever we do, it’s highly unlikely the program gets better quickly.
All depends on who the new hire is/what direction they want to go. Not saying it's realistic... but if they hired someone like Jay Wright... someone in that stratosphere paying $7M+... and season attendance skyrockets to 25,000, would that not potentially almost pay for itself?

I did a WAG -- let's say attendance jumps from 17k to 25k x 20 home games x $70 spending/head (ticket sales/parking/concessions) =

Revenue jump: $11,200,000

So your only real data point at this time is that UNC made the championship game last year as evidence you don’t want internal succession? Solid!
No I acknowledged that Davis made the NC game but he has had 2 mediocre regular seasons. North Carolina was preseason #1 this year and were the first preseason number 1 to not even make it to the new year even ranked and had the most losses before January 1st.

The fact you were smug with this response and couldn’t realize it was acknowledging that Davis did well in March last year but hasn’t done a great job in the 2 regular seasons since taking over at HC. If I didn’t acknowledge that Davis did well in March it wouldn’t be giving him that credit he does deserve credit for.
That said I think the performance by Davis and the new Duke guy are why I don’t want the next SU coach to be on the bench now. I want a HC with some head coaching experience and don’t care Coach Boeheim didn’t have any when he was hired that was 46 years ago.

My statement isn’t ridiculous. Please tell what is allowed to be said so I can conform to your standards. Why you chose to be rude with your response rather than just ignore this if you don’t like the topic is your decision.

If you hire someone because you offered him the most money, rest assured that he will be gone if he is successful enough to get a better offer.
We had two strengths: beast of the East with its rivalries, and coaching consistency. We lost the first and now you want us to lose the second.
Consider the downside if a new outside hire is either unsuccessful or a short termer. Reality check - we are no longer a destination school. We are a stepping stone. The logical choice is Red.

Last edited:
If you hire someone because you offered him the mist money rest assured that he will be gone if he is successful enough to get a better offer.
We had two strengths: beast of the East with its rivalries, and coaching consistency. We lost the first and now you want us to lose the second.
Consider the downside if a new outside hire is either unsuccessful or a short termer. Reality check - we are no longer a destination school.
Oh, ok. Guess I better become a hockey fan then. It’s over.

Scheyer is doing fine at Duke. He’s basically playing almost all freshman and none of them, except maybe Filipowski is at anywhere near the level of other freshman classes at Duke. Davis has won five in a row, so I wouldn’t right them off yet either. They are both recruiting at an elite level. Davis is recruiting better than Williams. What more do you want?

Scheyer is doing fine at Duke. He’s basically playing almost all freshman and none of them, except maybe Filipowski is at anywhere near the level of other freshman classes at Duke. Davis has won five in a row, so I wouldn’t right them off yet either. They are both recruiting at an elite level. Davis is recruiting better than Williams. What more do you want?
Scheyer is not doing fine. He had a preseason top 10 team is 5-4 in the ACC.

Duke had the top recruiting class this year. Coach Boeheim has done a better job than Scheyer this year.

Davis did well in the tournament year 1 that is a fact but the regular season last year they weren’t special and this year they have heavily underachieved from their preseason ranking.

I think we beat UNC tomorrow. North Carolina doesn’t shoot well. If we play our rebounding lineup we have a great chance to beat them.

He has the #1 overall class in the country with 3 guys in the top 10.. and 5 in the top 30.

Part of the issue for Duke and Scheyer is putting players in a position to succeed. He doesn't have that skillset yet. Lots of young coaches have been good recruiters bringing in good classes but lacked the chops to manage a talented roster. Scheyer is winning because they have more raw talent than anyone in the league. He is doing fine for year 1- has a long ways to go but also isn't going to get a long leash.

Scheyer is not doing fine. He had a preseason top 10 team is 5-4 in the ACC.

Duke had the top recruiting class this year. Coach Boeheim has done a better job than Scheyer this year.

Davis did well in the tournament year 1 that is a fact but the regular season last year they weren’t special and this year they have heavily underachieved from their preseason ranking.

I think we beat UNC tomorrow. North Carolina doesn’t shoot well. If we play our rebounding lineup we have a great chance to beat them.

Can't evaluate a coach in year 1 talent or not. Can't excuse failures either but it's still year 1.

Duke has also played without their starting point guard for the past five games. This recruiting class is overrated. Anyone really think that Lively is the best freshman recruit in the country? Their other top recruit missed several early season games and he’s also very overrated. Any recruit Duke gets will get a huge bump in recruiting. I don’t think it’s time to bury Scheyer.

I just want to say that my biggest concern here is Griff/GMac/Autry reading this thread and being hurt by it. I demand the thread title be changed to something less harsh like “our internal candidates are smart and handsome and talented.”

Duke has also played without their starting point guard for the past five games. This recruiting class is overrated. Anyone really think that Lively is the best freshman recruit in the country? Their other top recruit missed several early season games and he’s also very overrated. Any recruit Duke gets will get a huge bump in recruiting. I don’t think it’s time to bury Scheyer.

He’s had twenty games. I’ve seen enough. FIRE TEH BUM

I just want to say that my biggest concern here is Griff/GMac/Autry reading this thread and being hurt by it. I demand the thread title be changed to something less harsh like “our internal candidates are smart and handsome and talented.”
Nice job. I like it. I will say I hope you realize that it was just I thought it was a little mean to Mintz. But good rib.

No I acknowledged that Davis made the NC game but he has had 2 mediocre regular seasons. North Carolina was preseason #1 this year and were the first preseason number 1 to not even make it to the new year even ranked and had the most losses before January 1st.

The fact you were smug with this response and couldn’t realize it was acknowledging that Davis did well in March last year but hasn’t done a great job in the 2 regular seasons since taking over at HC. If I didn’t acknowledge that Davis did well in March it wouldn’t be giving him that credit he does deserve credit for.
That said I think the performance by Davis and the new Duke guy are why I don’t want the next SU coach to be on the bench now. I want a HC with some head coaching experience and don’t care Coach Boeheim didn’t have any when he was hired that was 46 years ago.

My statement isn’t ridiculous. Please tell what is allowed to be said so I can conform to your standards. Why you chose to be rude with your response rather than just ignore this if you don’t like the topic is your decision.
It was a really weird point you made. We’d be lucky to have Scheyer and/or Davis to turn to. You realize “the guy at Duke” you keep referring to is widely regarded as the best recruiter in CBB?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom