Duke can steal NYC from us | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Duke can steal NYC from us

2010 Duke won the ACC Regular Season and Acc Tournament. 2010 Syracuse won just the regular season Big East. If Duke finishes third in the Acc and still wins the ACC tournament, there is absolutely no way they get a one.

They tied the reg. season, we won outright by 2 games.
Minor nitpick perhaps but not really considering the BE was much better.

2010 Duke won the ACC Regular Season and Acc Tournament. 2010 Syracuse won just the regular season Big East. If Duke finishes third in the Acc and still wins the ACC tournament, there is absolutely no way they get a one.

There is a certain school of thought that this was also a hedge against the Committee's belief that AO wasn't coming back and that without him we weren't the same team going into the tournament as the one that had achieved the lofty record during the season.

If you don't think a 5 loss Duke team can steal the 1 seed from a 3 loss Syracuse team, just go look at 2010 for reference. We had something like 6 RPI top 25 wins and Duke had like 1. We had less losses than them too. They got the 3rd #1 seed and we got the 4th #1 seed.

See, they won the ACCT and even though they didn't beat a single RPI top 25 team in the ACCT they were rewarded for it. We lost in the quarters of the BET to G'Town. Committee ignored the fact that G'Town was 10th in the RPI and penalized us for losing early.

The 3rd #1 seed led Duke to being matched up with an vastly overseeded #4 seed Purdue in the Sweet 16. Remember, Purdue's best player (Hummel) was hurt before the NCAAT.

The name Duke simply carries a ton of weight and if they are 2-1 against us on Selection Sunday, we will get screwed
eh, committee also lowered our seeding/placement because of the AO injury and prospect of him not coming back

There is a certain school of thought that this was also a hedge against the Committee's belief that AO wasn't coming back and that without him we weren't the same team going into the tournament as the one that had achieved the lofty record during the season.
great minds ;)

There are 4 one seeds and none of them are written in stone at the moment. SU, FL, Wichita State control their own destiny for 3 of the 4. After that its probably AZ.

If Wichita State stumbles once between now and selection Sunday they are done as a candidate for #1. I think AZ is in a similar boat. Their margin for error is thin because of the loss of Ashley and the questions about whether they can be as good without him as with him. Unfortunately for AZ their conference schedule doesn't give them a lot of opportunity to prove much because it is fairly weak...it does however give them lots of opportunity to stumble.

There is a possibility although remote that Duke and SU both earn #1s and that Duke gets shipped out West, or if Florida stumbles stays in the South. All I'm saying is 6 games plus conference tournaments is a lot of season. The complexion of things will probably change two more times before the brackets are filled out.

Too many assumptions about SU losing. I'm betting, and damn well hoping, the SU players are not contemplating how many games they might lose and still hold on to the #1 seed. Don't think this team thinks about losing all that often, except when it looks like they might, and then they say and play **k that!

Last time I looked, Duke had 5 losses. 1 of which is to us.

We have 0.

If we only stumble 2-3 times, how could they possibly steal the 1 seed from us?
Agreed. That and the fact that we have 0 BAD losses, compared to Duke's losses at ND and Clemson(iffy)

What I want to know, is which SOS the committee uses. If we're talking BPI, Duke, UVA, and Cuse are all in the 60-70 range for SOS rank.
For RPI SOS, Duke's is 12, UVA is 42, and Cuse is 72. (What)

Last edited:
Arizona is in real trouble regarding the 1 seed. They will now be judged as the team they are without Ashley. That team has played no ranked teams and is currently 2-2.

They can maybe afford one more loss this year and they are off the 1 line. Given their results to date, they're probably picking up one loss this weekend, and at least one more between the rest of the reg season and the conf tourney.

Count me in the group that would rather not sweat out Selection Sunday with a 3 loss Syracuse (1-2 vs Duke) going up against a 5 loss Duke (2-1 vs Syracuse) and ACCT Champs for the one seed (MSG).

That scenario would worry me.

Lets just go undefeated so there's no debate!
If Duke wins out, beating us twice and we lose to Virginia or worse yet, one of the other teams left on our schedule, I hate to say it but I could not argue with them being chosen over a 3 loss Syracuse team. Sure they would have 2 more losses but winning the ACC Tournament and beating us 2 out of 3 times gives them a solid case for being chosen over us as the #1 seed.

Fortunately, there is still a lot of basketball to be played and this whole discussion could be moot after Saturday if Duke is coming off a loss at NC and we beat them. Let's Go Orange!

If Duke wins out, beating us twice and we lose to Virginia or worse yet, one of the other teams left on our schedule, I hate to say it but I could not argue with them being chosen over a 3 loss Syracuse team. Sure they would have 2 more losses but winning the ACC Tournament and beating us 2 out of 3 times gives them a solid case for being chosen over us as the #1 seed.

Fortunately, there is still a lot of basketball to be played and this whole discussion could be moot after Saturday if Duke is coming off a loss at NC and we beat them. Let's Go Orange!

If we have three losses there is no way we wouldn't be a one seed, if all of that happens, Duke would be taking someone else's one seed.

If we have three losses there is no way we wouldn't be a one seed, if all of that happens, Duke would be taking someone else's one seed.
I hope you're right. But right now Florida is the number #1 in the South, Arizona the #1 in the West and Wichita St the #1 in the Midwest. The only one of those teams likely to falter the rest of the way is Arizona due to the injury of one of their key players and a tougher schedule than the other 2. So I'd say the only other potential #1 (other than SU) that Duke could replace is Arizona. So let's hope Arizona loses some games. But as I said, still a ways to go before it's decided.

I hope you're right. But right now Florida is the number #1 in the South, Arizona the #1 in the West and Wichita St the #1 in the Midwest. The only one of those teams likely to falter the rest of the way is Arizona due to the injury of one of their key players and a tougher schedule than the other 2. So I'd say the only other potential #1 (other than SU) that Duke could replace is Arizona. So let's hope Arizona loses some games. But as I said, still a ways to go before it's decided.

Our resume is too good, we have 8 wins against the tip 50 right now, Florida has 5. They would put duke in the west or the south in place of Florida or Arizona.

Our resume is too good, we have 8 wins against the tip 50 right now, Florida has 5. They would put duke in the west or the south in place of Florida or Arizona.
No way Duke is moved ahead of either one of those teams if they don't falter. The committee would not move the best teams from those regions out of those regions. Now if Arizona does falter, I could see Duke being moved out west in place of Arizona. But I would not be surprised if we were moved out there - it would suck though!

No they cant. I already have my regional tickets so we are good

and this is why we need UNC to beat them. If duke beats us and beats us in ACC say goodbye to NYC It's that simple. WE will still have a favorable seed but it wont be 4 hours from the cuse

with that said seize the moment cuse!!!

I they beat us twice then they deserve it .. no biggy as long we re-focus and play well in the NCAA.

All the analysts prior to tonight's game seem to think Wichita or Arizona could get passed by Duke - no one even mentioned us