Duke friends say Duke will STILL be #1 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Duke friends say Duke will STILL be #1

Paging SWC75. That’s something I feel like he’d know.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_basketball_RB/2019/D1.pdf
Go to page 99

CCNY beat #1 Bradley in the finals of both the NIT and NCAA tournaments in 1950, although both teams were later involved in the point-shaving scandal. Whether that means Bradley was trying to lose, i don't know.

Georgia Tech beat #1 Kentucky twice in 1955

Duke beat #1 UCLA twice in consecutive nights in 1965

Missouri beat #1 Kansas twice in 1990

Georgia Tech beat #1 North Carolina twice in 1994

North Carolina beat #1 Duke twice in 1998

Pittsburgh beat #1 Connecticut twice in 2009

Last edited:
It’s funny how skewed the #1 stats are in the ACC because of how much UNC and Duke have been ranked #1. I saw Virginia’s record against #1 teams is 0-22! 22 games against top ranked teams! We have played what 10 games or something all time against #1s?

It wouldn't surprise me, but it would be ridiculous if it happened.

Just think about it for a second.

UVA's only loss is by 2 points at Duke. Duke lost to Gonzaga on a neutral court and at home to an unranked Syracuse team. I'd still take Virginia's resume over Duke as of right now.

It’s funny how skewed the #1 stats are in the ACC because of how much UNC and Duke have been ranked #1. I saw Virginia’s record against #1 teams is 0-22! 22 games against top ranked teams! We have played what 10 games or something all time against #1s?
Very rough count: NC State - 2; UNC - 6; dook - 6; Villanova - 1. A lot of games against a lot of single-digit ranked teams.

What about all of those times we played G-town in the 80's? Something is amiss

Go to page 99

CCNY beat 31 Bradley in the finals of both the NIT and NCAA tournaments in 1950, although both teams were later involved in the point-shaving scandal. Whether that means Bradley was trying to lose, i don't know.

The Duke over UCLA games in '65 need to be taken with a grain of salt. UCLA was the 2-time defending champ, and was ranked #1 pre-season for that reason. They were Duke's game #4 & 5, UCLA's #3 &4. One was played at Cameron, the other in Charlotte.

UCLA finished 18-8 that season, did not win their league (AAWU), and did not qualify for the NCAA's. The Bruins won the National Championship the next 7 seasons.

Duke had a better year. They beat our Orange in the Elite Eight, then lost to Kentucky in the national semifinals, playing without an ill Bob Verga, who had scorched SU for 20 points the week before. And, of course, in the championship game, Texas Western and its all-black starting lineup beat the lily-white team of Adolph Rupp.

1965-66 was a very interesting season in college hoops.

They don’t sound like friends to me...
They are. Since 1977. Best friends. He has no idea how I took his “typical Dukie” remark and spun it out for the board. When we won, all my Duke friends congratulated me. All is well.

Until we meet again . . . .

Go to page 99

CCNY beat 31 Bradley in the finals of both the NIT and NCAA tournaments in 1950, although both teams were later involved in the point-shaving scandal. Whether that means Bradley was trying to lose, i don't know.

Just awesome! Thanks!

The Duke over UCLA games in '65 need to be taken with a grain of salt. UCLA was the 2-time defending champ, and was ranked #1 pre-season for that reason. They were Duke's game #4 & 5, UCLA's #3 &4. One was played at Cameron, the other in Charlotte.

UCLA finished 18-8 that season, did not win their league (AAWU), and did not qualify for the NCAA's. The Bruins won the National Championship the next 7 seasons.

Duke had a better year. They beat our Orange in the Elite Eight, then lost to Kentucky in the national semifinals, playing without an ill Bob Verga, who had scorched SU for 20 points the week before. And, of course, in the championship game, Texas Western and its all-black starting lineup beat the lily-white team of Adolph Rupp.

1965-66 was a very interesting season in college hoops.

Love college hoops history, love it.

Because the loss to Syracuse won’t count.

<I’ll just step back a little here.>
They were down two players, as was Syracuse.
SU lost their starting center during the game due to injury and lost their top incoming recruit before the season started. F Duke!

Beating the only remaining undefeated is a pretty good win. Michigan and of course UVA lost as well and those are the 3 best teams for my money.

I think we deserve to sneak in this week hopefully we are in the 20s.

What about all of those times we played G-town in the 80's? Something is amiss
The ACC was 26 years older than the original Big East (inaugurals: 53-54 season vs. 79-80 season). The bulk of our games against a #1 were in-conference.

In that time we played: dook-2 , UNC-1, Cinci-1 (missed that one before), NC State - 1

NOPE. losses have consequences. surprised the ZAGS don't hop them with the head to head.

Because the loss to Syracuse won’t count.

<I’ll just step back a little here.>
Your Duke friends probably had themselves beating us at home. The wrong about that and about their ranking this week.

Yup, it’s Tennessee and my Knoxville sister in law is ecstatic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom