Duke, Kentucky | Syracusefan.com

Duke, Kentucky

albanycuse

Dion Waiters
These guys just reload and reload every single year with the nations top players. You can’t convince me they are better recruiters than the rest of the recruiters in the nation.

With the FBI investigating into college basketball this seems like an obvious situation to look into. But they won’t because too many people are making tons of money off them.

You're saying they recruit the best players consistently, but aren't the best recruiters. Er, what?

I don't know if there's anything 'fishy' going on with either program. There have been suspicious matters connected with both, but you could likely find the same with any program. But as for why the top kids go there, you can ask the same about any other high profile, well-respected school for any specific field of study.

Why go to Harvard/Yale/Princeton/MIT/Stanford/CalTech?
• To compete with/among the best and brightest in the country
• It's a badge of honor to have come out of a university renowned for that specific field
• Professionals hold you in higher esteem because you come from there
• You're expected to perform and compete at the highest levels every year
• Your program will be rated the highest every year
• You like and/or respect the ability of the leaders of that program and their facility for getting you to the next level

Does the best high school student shy away from Harvard because he may not be the best when he arrives?

FBI. I would imagine that if they were 'afraid' of overturning certain stones, they wouldn't have embarked on their current journey. You can't possibly get involved with that investigation and go into Arizona and Louisville without imagining the stink will touch even bluer bloods. And we're not talking about the NCAA which might have reason to want to protect the golden geese. The FBI doesn't have those considerations. Do you really think the FBI is going to find dirt on 'lower' programs, and then when Duke or Kentucky's names come up, they'll just bury it?

Yes something definitely fishy is going on is my point. Theres tons of excellent recruiters out there and very good basketball schools also. Theres no way they are just out recruiting other schools. And there’s more than just the prestige of going to Duke or Kentucky in my opinion.

Yes something definitely fishy is going on is my point. Theres tons of excellent recruiters out there and very good basketball schools also. Theres no way they are just out recruiting other schools. And there’s more than just the prestige of going to Duke or Kentucky in my opinion.

If it was as easy as just cheating, why are there only 4-6 absolutely elite programs when we know other schools are certainly cheating (too)?

These guys just reload and reload every single year with the nations top players. You can’t convince me they are better recruiters than the rest of the recruiters in the nation.

With the FBI investigating into college basketball this seems like an obvious situation to look into. But they won’t because too many people are making tons of money off them.
you claimed at the time to have definitive proof (re: nerlens noel). if so, why don't you contact the fbi yourself?

you claimed at the time to have definitive proof (re: nerlens noel). if so, why don't you contact the fbi yourself?
Verbal conversation with someone in the know doesn’t hold up.

Verbal conversation with someone in the know doesn’t hold up.
it doesn't need to hold up in court. just provide the name & the details of the conversation

or get off the pot

it doesn't need to hold up in court. just provide the name & the details of the conversation

or get off the pot
What pot am i on? Im a nobody and it wouldn’t go anywhere.

So, look at it from an individual's point of view. You're Marvin Bagley Jr. Where do you go? Are you really saying there's a better destination for you? If so, which school? And why. And, yes, i do think you're ignoring that K and Cal are better recruiters than the rest. By far.

So, look at it from an individual's point of view. You're Marvin Bagley Jr. Where do you go? Are you really saying there's a better destination for you? If so, which school? And why. And, yes, i do think you're ignoring that K and Cal are better recruiters than the rest. By far.
We can just agree to disagree. Im not buying the notion that they are just better recruiters than the rest of college basketball. Go Cuse!

We can just agree to disagree. Im not buying the notion that they are just better recruiters than the rest of college basketball. Go Cuse!
Okay. Then name some coaches you would rather play for and who have more compelling 'personas/images/histories.' I'm not even talking about assistant coaches. I'm sure recruits build relationships with assistants and they can be as important or even more important than the head coaches, but factoring in the guys at the top, who would You most want to play for ? Then consider how many alums of that program are in the nba and are notable in the nba. If you're a top 10 player in high school, it's entirely likely, and most reasonable to want to be a part of that. Then, in the case of Duke, you play in a 'hallowed' gym/arena, in front of rabid fans, with well-to-do students and alums, in a moderate climate, on national tv, in the most vaunted rivalry, will likely have a top 5 team ranking every year, will be favored to win the best conference every year, and for the most respected coach in the ncaa... For kentucky, the largest audiences, historically great program, a 'dynamic' coach who seems to relate to players extremely well, always has multiple players go to the nba in the first round, will likely always have a top 10 ranked team, always wins its conference... And for both, you'll be challenged daily by other top 10 players.

K and Cal really don't have to do much to be great recruiters. You could print a half sheet of paper out of Microsoft Word with just that on it, and all the names of the current NBA players, and that would be enough to lure just about anyone.

Who else has that. Go.
: )

So, if your argument is 'who is the most persuasive, charming, caring coach/recruiter,' i think that's moot. You're talking about 'best recruiters.' The results speak for themselves, no?

The FBI could care less about anyone making money off of kids. If they found evidence of Kentucky or Duke breaking a federal law, they would take them down. Period.

The FBI could care less about anyone making money off of kids. If they found evidence of Kentucky or Duke breaking a federal law, they would take them down. Period.
I have my doubts. Period.

Albany, what laws did Kentucky break in their recruitment of Noels? The FBI isn't concerned with the breaking of NCAA rules.

I have my doubts. Period.
They take down the mob. They take down powerful people on Wall street. Right now they are investigating the President. They are scared of Coach Cal or Coach K? Those guys are small potatoes. Not shaky ones. they are only big in our small world. If the FBI finds evidence of federal crimes, they will go down. If not, they won't. The FBI didn't care who wrote Melo's paper.

Albany, what laws did Kentucky break in their recruitment of Noels? The FBI isn't concerned with the breaking of NCAA rules.
That’s an off the board discussion.

lol Why? And if they did break federal laws, they will be sweating right now. I don't know how much effort the Feds will put in to this. But they won't be concerned about the name on the jersey. Just not the way they roll. actually, it's the other way. They go for the big name because that is the best way to send a message.

They take down the mob. They take down powerful people on Wall street. Right now they are investigating the President. They are scared of Coach Cal or Coach K? Those guys are small potatoes. Not shaky ones. they are only big in our small world. If the FBI finds evidence of federal crimes, they will go down. If not, they won't. The FBI didn't care who wrote Melo's paper.
I don’t think the FBI care enough to get involved with recruiting, its not the mob where they are killing people.

By the way, paying a player isn't a federal crime. It's a NCAA violation. As long as the kid pays his taxes, the feds wouldn't care.

I don’t think the FBI care enough to get involved with recruiting, its not the mob where they are killing people.
The last thing was just handed to them. It took no effort. But as I just said, paying a player isn't a federal crime.

By the way, paying a player isn't a federal crime. It's a NCAA violation. As long as the kid pays his taxes, the feds wouldn't care.
Exactly my point they don’t care enough.

You're saying they recruit the best players consistently, but aren't the best recruiters. Er, what?

I don't know if there's anything 'fishy' going on with either program. There have been suspicious matters connected with both, but you could likely find the same with any program. But as for why the top kids go there, you can ask the same about any other high profile, well-respected school for any specific field of study.

Why go to Harvard/Yale/Princeton/MIT/Stanford/CalTech?
• To compete with/among the best and brightest in the country
• It's a badge of honor to have come out of a university renowned for that specific field
• Professionals hold you in higher esteem because you come from there
• You're expected to perform and compete at the highest levels every year
• Your program will be rated the highest every year
• You like and/or respect the ability of the leaders of that program and their facility for getting you to the next level

Does the best high school student shy away from Harvard because he may not be the best when he arrives?

FBI. I would imagine that if they were 'afraid' of overturning certain stones, they wouldn't have embarked on their current journey. You can't possibly get involved with that investigation and go into Arizona and Louisville without imagining the stink will touch even bluer bloods. And we're not talking about the NCAA which might have reason to want to protect the golden geese. The FBI doesn't have those considerations. Do you really think the FBI is going to find dirt on 'lower' programs, and then when Duke or Kentucky's names come up, they'll just bury it?
Kentucky’s dirty to its eye-sockets, and their miraculous recruiting started when Pay-Pal arrived. He didn’t get that moniker for nothing, Zelda. He’s been dirty at every school he’s coached at. And like Albany, I don’t accept that getting the nation’s top players every year is traceable to Cal’s amazing coaching prowess (good not great), a perception of elevated draft status (nonsense) or any “classes” offered at UK (lol) remotely resembling the research schools you listed. It’s a farce there. Duke is a different story. Yes, they’ve had their issues too. But most of their recruiting success at this point is the program’s momentum and the hype that Coach K gets from the media. He’s also very successful, unlike UK (which frequently underachieves compared to the miracle recruits they get).

If money goes over state lines for illicit purposes, the FBI might get very interested.

Kentucky’s dirty to its eye-sockets, and their miraculous recruiting started when Pay-Pal arrived. He didn’t get that moniker for nothing, Zelda. He’s been dirty at every school he’s coached at. And like Albany, I don’t accept that getting the nation’s top players every year is traceable to Cal’s amazing coaching prowess (good not great), a perception of elevated draft status (nonsense) or any “classes” offered at UK (lol) remotely resembling the research schools you listed. It’s a farce there. Duke is a different story. Yes, they’ve had their issues too. But most of their recruiting success at this point is the program’s momentum and the hype that Coach K gets from the media. He’s also very successful, unlike UK (which frequently underachieves compared to the miracle recruits they get).
Don't mistake me. I'm not asserting Kentucky (or anyone else) is clean. But, show your work. We've been as 'dirty' as Cal. And i'm not sure where the blame lies with two of Cal's 'issues.' Marcus Camby? Didn't he take money from an agent? And Derrick Rose had someone take his SATs for him? What else?

But, the point in the OP's question had to do with why the best kids were going to these two particular schools. And, if you think Duke has enough going for it that they don't have to engage in pay for play, then i'm suggesting Kentucky is on the same level with most of the same attributes. I continue to ask the same question: if you're a top five player in america, where do you want to go to school? Which is the best situation?