Duke not getting a 1 seed now | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Duke not getting a 1 seed now

I don't think this is right. The cut and paste from above says top 4 must be in 4 different regions if they are all top 4 seeds. So last year we would have been shipped out west.
That is my understanding as well.

Alsacs said:
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...e-meeting-shows-how-new-bracketing-rules-work

I believe the rule only applies till the top 3 still. I tweeted Palm about it and he said it still applies only to the top 3 and they have to be top 4 seeds. He kept putting Duke as a 5 seed in our bracket until he realized since we played them twice in the regular season we couldn't play.

The story you linked tells the same story as the NCAA link I posted above. Teams from the same conference cannot be placed in the same region if they are seeded 1-4.

I don't know… wouldn't there have been too many 1-4 seeded BE teams to avoid having 2 in at least one of the regions?

I think (think) we were the 4th team out of the BE.

Incorrect, the rule is now top 3 teams from the same conference can be in the same region if they are top 4 seeds. Syracuse was the 4th Big East team last year. 1. Louisville-1 seed Midwest 2. Georgetown 2 seed South 3. Marquette 3 seed East. Since Syracuse was the 4th Big East team we could in the East region.

Since both Duke and Syracuse will be top 4 seeds neither of them can in the same region since they along with Virginia will be the top 3 ACC teams.

I'm just going off the NCAA website, which was quoted above.

Under the new principles, each of the top four teams selected from a conference will be placed in separate regions, only if they are seeded on the first four lines. This replaces the principle that separated the top three teams from a league regardless of the teams’ placement within the bracket.

Could be wrong, but that's straight from the NCAA.

In reading the Palm thing, it seems there is a lot of confusion. How I read it

old rule: top 3 teams from a conference were separated, regardless of seed line
new rule: top 4 teams will all be in different regions, if they are all top 4 seeds. so basically, if a conference has fewer than 4 top 4 seeds (likely) those schools can't be in the same region. But theoretically, 2 of the top 3 schools from a conf could be in the same region if #3 was outside the top 4

I am wrong then. All these means honestly is that its better to be a 5 seed than a 4 seed for geography in the regional rounds.
The fourth team in ACC/B1G better get ready to fly out West if the conference has 4 of the top 16 teams any particular year.

I have duke as a solid 3 seed with Michigan,wisconsin and creighton

Duke at worst unless they have a What loss to Wake Forest, Virginia Tech, ACC Quarter-Final will be no worse than a 3 seed IMO. They aren't out of contention yet for a 1 seed because they play us, North Carolina andthey could beat Syracuse, Virginia, and 1 other team in the ACC Tournament.
Right now I have 1 seeds-Syracuse, Florida, Arizona, Wichita State
2 seeds-Kansas, Villanova, Michigan State Duke.
3 seeds- San Diego State, Creighton, Virginia, Cincinnati
4 seeds- Wisconsin, Iowa State, Michigan, St. Louis.

Teams from the same conference seeded 1-4 cannot be placed in the same region according to new bracketing rules this year.

This is not really a new rule per se, the prior restriction has just been relaxed. It has always been the case for the top 3 teams for each region except it extended from 1-16. Now it only extends for 1-4 (increased 3 to 4)

Last edited:
3. The rule only applies to top 3 teams in a conference not all teams from a conference. It is not unusual for a conference to have 4 teams on the top 4 seed lines. That 4th team could be placed in any region.

Doesn't the new rule say the opposite of this?

Doesn't the new rule say the opposite of this?

Yes - I deleted that comment, because the rule is now saying four according to the NCAA release.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom