Duke reveals blueprint to beat Orange | Syracusefan.com

Duke reveals blueprint to beat Orange

Yeah he forgot to mention those 15 3s have to come with a defense that can stop us.

Saw that in the articles thread.
The good news for Syracuse fans is that there aren't a number of teams out there with elite 3-point shooting like Duke. But, in a one-and-done atmosphere of the NCAA Tournament, all it takes is one good shooting performance from a challenger to spring an upset.

Couldn't resist tweeting him:
"Good thing M2M teams play best of 7 in the tournament".

And several of the threes were very long and difficult threes. Also I guess everyone has someone on their roster averaging 2 points a game who can make 3 3's in the space of about 90 seconds under big game pressure like Thornton.

This line was a gem...

Their collective lack of length and quickness are not enough to dissuade patient opponents from finding quality long-distance attempts

Well, it is pretty true. We were leaving Duke players wide open on a lot of 3's. But I think the biggest problem we have as a team is defensive rebounding. Although Duke should have easily been whistled for a handful of fouls on rebounds, we still have to do a better job.

Lots of their offensive rebounds were because nobody bothered to box out Parker and Jefferson. And a lot of them turned into layups. That's how we're gonna get beat. Pitt already exploited thats.

Well, it is pretty true. We were leaving Duke players wide open on a lot of 3's. But I think the biggest problem we have as a team is defensive rebounding. Although Duke should have easily been whistled for a handful of fouls on rebounds, we still have to do a better job.

Lots of their offensive rebounds were because nobody bothered to box out Parker and Jefferson. And a lot of them turned into layups. That's how we're gonna get beat. Pitt already exploited thats.
Rebounding was not an issue in any game but Pitt.

This line was a gem...

Their collective lack of length and quickness are not enough to dissuade patient opponents from finding quality long-distance attempts

LOL. Thats the #1 and #2 steal guy in the ACC.

It is funny how an article like this is couched. It was written with the theme that Syracuse is ripe for the picking. A paper tiger. It could have been written as: even when you have the blueprint, and you have 5 capable shooters, hit 15 3 pointers at a 42% clip, get 18 offensive rebounds, and have Jabari parker - you still can't beat Syracuse. But no, lets say how this game proves Syracuse is a mirage. Oh well...

"All you have to do is have one of the most talented groups of players in the country and hit 15+ three pointers and you're golden!"

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-ba...s-beats-kansas-longhorns-ohio-state-wisconsin

All you have to do is make 15 three-pointers and you have a chance to beat SU. Yes, a professional journalist actually wrote that.
If you'd told me Duke was going to hit 15 3's against us, I wouldn't even have watched the game...for sure we'd get clobbered.

That we won shows that this team really is special.
To beat us you're going to have to hit your 3's...rebound...play tough D...and pray.
The first three items alone weren't enough for Duke.

And several of the threes were very long and difficult threes. Also I guess everyone has someone on their roster averaging 2 points a game who can make 3 3's in the space of about 90 seconds under big game pressure like Thornton.

Most teams shoot like Duke too - four skilled 40% guys from three are pretty normal on most rosters.

All you need is to put 4 good 3 point shooters on the floor at the same time and have an NBA lottery pick who can score with a variety of moves at the rim. Yeah many teams have that personnel.

We gave up 18 offensive rebounds to Duke, most of which turned into easy shots in the paint. I'd say that was an issue.
Easy shots in the paint? Duke had 32 points total for the game (a 45 minute game mind you) that was a 3 or ft. When a team shoots that many jumpers some off Rebs happen. We still out rebounded them on the game. It was not any particular issue yesterday (it was against Pitt)

Easy shots in the paint? Duke had 32 points total for the game (a 45 minute game mind you) that was a 3 or ft. When a team shoots that many jumpers some off Rebs happen. We still out rebounded them on the game. It was not any particular issue yesterday (it was against Pitt)
Yes, easy shots in the paint. And kick out for 3's. Doesn't mean they made them all, I'm not saying that obviously. Parker got a few easy dunks without much defense, just like Grant did. Duke rolled plenty of shots off the rim that could have easily fell down just as we did. Think about it, if we give up 40 offensive rebounds and the other team only gets 25 pts off those offensive boards, that's 25 pts we shouldn't have allowed if we had just got some rebounds. Jimmy will surely be saying the same thing about it.

Duke scored 22 second chance points. That's a decent amount, considering we've been giving up under 60 pts a game. Pitt only scored 19 second chance points. So clearly, Duke hurt us just as bad as Pitt on offensive boards. To say they didn't is a bit off base.

I agree, we had our wings and at times our center running out to challenge shots off good ball movement from Duke which makes it very difficult to rebound at times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom