Duke students taunt NC State player over dead Grandma | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Duke students taunt NC State player over dead Grandma

Everyone needs to relax.

They're chanting "Past your bedtime" because the player looks like he's 12 years old.

i think there were 2 different chants.

'past your bedtime' is totally acceptable. 'hows your grandma' is disgusting.

How can anyone watch that video and listen to the chant and think it's Past Your Bedtime? It doesn't sound even remotely like that.

It's pretty clear what they were saying.

How can anyone watch that video and listen to the chant and think it's Past Your Bedtime? It doesn't sound even remotely like that.

It's pretty clear what they were saying.

Just listened again and it sounded like half the time they were saying past your bedtime and the other half about the grandma. Or it was half the people doing each one. Either way they did chant about his grandma.

I know people love to hate on Duke because they are Duke, but the general consensus out there among basketball writers and such on social media is that this never happened.

"Past your bedtime".

The OP has a link to a blog post from a Duke student, who indicates that they were indeed saying chanting about his grandmother. This was someone who was at the game--note what he has to say about how the crowd spread the word about the chant:

Duke-Fan-Comment.jpg

Still have the same opinion?

Not a Duke fan by any stretch, but here's the beat writer for Duke and she's pretty clear it was "Past your bedtime".
She even used that phrase "Past your bedtime", in a tweet DURING the game itself.
There are many reasons to hate Duke, but this one seems to be bogus.
In any case, I predict NCSU will be our most despised fanbase in the ACC- their insecurity is legendary round these parts! :crazy:

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/duken...rom-dukes-98-85-win-vs-nc-state#storylink=cpy

i'm going to need to listen to this, because i don't see how the two chants could be confused for one another

Edit: I think whoever said it sounded like dueling chants has it right

This is why I was hesitant with the noises when Keita was at the line against Pitt. These are such touchy subjects that you have to be real certain of what occurred. The Duke blogger is compelling evidence, and the audio seems to show 2 different chants. I doubt it would be be too onerous to interview the entire student section and get to the bottom of it. I wonder if they scan their student id's so they know who exactly attended the game.

This is why I was hesitant with the noises when Keita was at the line against Pitt. These are such touchy subjects that you have to be real certain of what occurred. The Duke blogger is compelling evidence, and the audio seems to show 2 different chants. I doubt it would be be too onerous to interview the entire student section and get to the bottom of it. I wonder if they scan their student id's so they know who exactly attended the game.

Great point. In no way am I suggesting that the entirety of the student section was guilty of doing what is alleged. But it sounds like some did, and it sounds from the Duke blogger that the word was spreading amongst the student section, which debunks [at least partially] the notion that this was only a handful of isolated students.

But it is important not to make the sweeping generalization that they weren't all responsible for such an appalling lack of judgement, just as it is important to not pretend that it didn't occur when there is evidence to suggest that it did.

The Philadelphia Union has a chant that says "C'mon the U! C'mon the U", and people repeatedly claim they are saying " You"

If you go look at their s c o u t site, the blogger in question isn't even a student and those seats don't even exist...

Even Tyler Lewis's dad said it was only a few people that said anything about the grandma...

I took a quick look at the Duke board to see what they were saying about all of this. Apparently the grad student blogger doesn't appear to exist in the student directory and the seat he was claiming to sit in doesn't either.

At least that's what the sleuths over there are saying, FWIW. I've watched the video and I'm not sure what I think I hear.

I figure it's time for me to bow out and focus energy on what's really important regardless: The Southerland hearing (and perhaps an afternoon of work).

Not a Duke fan by any stretch, but here's the beat writer for Duke and she's pretty clear it was "Past your bedtime".
She even used that phrase "Past your bedtime", in a tweet DURING the game itself.
There are many reasons to hate Duke, but this one seems to be bogus.
In any case, I predict NCSU will be our most despised fanbase in the ACC- their insecurity is legendary round these parts! :crazy:

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/duken...rom-dukes-98-85-win-vs-nc-state#storylink=cpy
"a Duke beat writer" -- what else do you need here? Think she would have used the other chant in a tweet?

For me the clincher is that an independent, credible beat reporter from the Observer, Laura Keeley, sent out a time-stamped tweet DURING the game that said:

"Tyler Lewis is an easy target. Crazies chant "Past your bedtime" as he shoots free-throws. Duke up 72-56 with 13:26 left".

IF some morons mentioned the kid's grandma it was just that, a few morons, not some orchestrated chant from the students.
And unless Keeley went to the "Obama Birth Certificate School of Hoaxes", then there's no way to explain her tweet.
We had the Birthers...now we have the "Chanters"?:noidea:

And unless Keeley went to the "Obama Birth Certificate School of Hoaxes", then there's no way to explain her tweet.

Some people were chanting past your bedtime, others were chanting hows your grandma? Would explain it, no?

"a Duke beat writer" -- what else do you need here? Think she would have used the other chant in a tweet?
Ummm, bonjour?
Did you even read the article she wrote?
Btw- she's the Duke beat reporter...for the Observer, not just some blogger interpreting tweets and running with a story.

For me the clincher is that an independent, credible beat reporter from the Observer, Laura Keeley, sent out a time-stamped tweet DURING the game that said:

"Tyler Lewis is an easy target. Crazies chant "Past your bedtime" as he shoots free-throws. Duke up 72-56 with 13:26 left".

IF some morons mentioned the kid's grandma it was just that, a few morons, not some orchestrated chant from the students.
We had the Birthers...now we have the "Chanters"?:noidea:
I've got to be honest, that's (past your bedtime) not even "smart" or all that intimidating. Is that all they got? Bring it on you crazies you.

Ummm, bonjour?
Did you even read the article she wrote?
Btw- she's the Duke beat reporter...for the Observer, not just some blogger interpreting tweets and running with a story.
No I didn't. I read your post. So how really different is a writer from a reporter? Enlighten me. Anyway we all know how reporters/writers are unbiased at all times.
Adios amigo.

That's as bad as when Steve Kerr was heckled in a PAC 10 game while at Arizona in the mid-1980's. I can't remember which student section it was, but they had signs and chants about his dad who had been killed in Lebanon that same year. He was a teacher at the American University and was killed by terrorists. Still one of the most embarrassing moments in college sports.

I think it was Cal fans that chanted P.L.O. to Steve Kerr, whose parents were killed by terrorists.

Beat me to it. Still remember that to this day. Sports Illustrated wrote an article about it as I recall.

There is a catholic high school around here whose student section chants all sorts of perfectly appropriate things that sound like other things. For example they chant "PUSH IT" which ends up sound like "bullshit." Pretty creative but surprising no one has put an end to it.

I've got to be honest, that's (past your bedtime) not even "smart" or all that intimidating. Is that all they got? Bring it on you crazies you.
That's probably why it happened. The regular students were horrified to be force fed this lame chant from some outside student leader wannbe. So they came up with and delivered their own edgier chant.

Were the Pitt students saying stuff when Keita was at the line? All I heard was the stuff directed at MCW. I have to admit, I thought the robes and Lord & Taylor chant was kind of funny.

while that chant is awful, I did laugh at the "Bilbo Baggins" chant in the first half

fwiw- i asked my buddy who is a sound engineer ( actual title) watch it and he ran it through some sort of technology he has that lets him declutter the sound and he said there is zero doubt there was a clear chant of hows your grandma.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom