Duke you ain't playing patty cake anymore | Syracusefan.com

Duke you ain't playing patty cake anymore

LOL, I'm torn between wanting them to have to play a game like we have many times against Pitt while they constantly foul us and getting hammered by them and knowing its better for us if Duke beats Pitt tomorrow and we get them Saturday.

Part of me says, "Yeah, baby!" while the rest says "K will have 'em ready." Their fans may be a confluence of pencil-necked ninnies and obsequious twits, but K is no fool.
Lol but when is the last time duke played a league game at a place like Pitt ? It's a hell hole for the other team.

Lol but when is the last time duke played a league game at a place like Pitt ? It's a hell hole for the other team.

Of any of the newer bball arena's that have been build the Pete was done the right way to give the home team a crazy advantage from the student section.

Part of me says, "Yeah, baby!" while the rest says "K will have 'em ready." Their fans may be a confluence of pencil-necked ninnies and obsequious twits, but K is no fool.

I hear you and in his recent pressers you can see he's been building his guys up I think they are ready when the game starts but what happens when they get knocked down and bloodied and the students are given it to them? That is what I think we don't know the answer to and neither does K.

I firmly believe K will have Duke ready to play at The Zoo. They are already vastly improved from a month ago. That being said, Pitt is way too physical for Pitt, not only up front but also with their guards.

I actually think Duke matches up a little better with us, to be honest. Yes, we could have an advantage up front, but if Parker rebounds well, which he's been doing, that is mitigated. They have a lot of shooters, and if they go off from three, we could have issues. It is going to be interesting to see if K tries to push tempo, like they usually do.

I think we will own the boards against them. There will be way to much energy in the dome for them to our hustle us. We should be able to get to the basket relatively easily. I don't think any of their guys can stay in front of Ennis, fair, and grant.

I firmly believe K will have Duke ready to play at The Zoo. They are already vastly improved from a month ago. That being said, Pitt is way too physical for Pitt, not only up front but also with their guards.

I actually think Duke matches up a little better with us, to be honest. Yes, we could have an advantage up front, but if Parker rebounds well, which he's been doing, that is mitigated. They have a lot of shooters, and if they go off from three, we could have issues. It is going to be interesting to see if K tries to push tempo, like they usually do.
The only reason Duke has a shot against us is if they rain threes. They're going to have to play a game like Miami did beyond the arc. I don't know if Parker will be able to own the boards like he has been against teams like us and Pitt.

Hopefully we can expose Dukes lack of size and get out in their shooters. They have talent but Amile Jefferson and Jabari Parker shouldn't be able to hang with us on the glass and I imagine both of them will get blocked a few times if they try to take it inside.

Welcome to the big leagues this week. You will get a taste of what we've had to put up with the past 15 yrs.

I don't mean to sound like "that guy", but Duke has been to 4 final four's, been in 3 national championship games, and won 2 titles in the last 15 years. So it's not like they have been playing soft teams for the past 15 years and have only been successful because they played in the ACC. They still did work against the rest of the country in the tournament. But yes... different ball game this week. Unless the officials ref these games like old ACC games as opposed to old Big East games.

The only reason Duke has a shot against us is if they rain threes. They're going to have to play a game like Miami did beyond the arc. I don't know if Parker will be able to own the boards like he has been against teams like us and Pitt.

Hopefully we can expose Dukes lack of size and get out in their shooters. They have talent but Amile Jefferson and Jabari Parker shouldn't be able to hang with us on the glass and I imagine both of them will get blocked a few times if they try to take it inside.

Agreed, but you have to realize that will will definitely see Duke's A game Saturday. We've seen everyones A game as of late because we are now one of the hunted programs like Duke always is. When you're undefeated, ranked 2nd in the nation and are just coming off of a final four run, every team digs deep and thows their best at you. look at Miami yesterday! Or BC a few weeks ago. Those teams are TERRIBLE shooting teams, however they couldn't miss against us! Not to mention that coach K has tons of coaching experience with Boeheim and knows his zone a little bit. It won't be a cake walk by any means.

I don't mean to sound like "that guy", but Duke has been to 4 final four's, been in 3 national championship games, and won 2 titles in the last 15 years. So it's not like they have been playing soft teams for the past 15 years and have only been successful because they played in the ACC. They still did work against the rest of the country in the tournament. But yes... different ball game this week. Unless the officials ref these games like old ACC games as opposed to old Big East games.
That's why I said "played in a league game "because I was expecting a response like this.

Last edited:
That's why I said "played in a league game "because I was expecting a response like this.
Yes, I get that. My point was that it hasn't been all that easy for them in the past 15 years. The ACC has been down for the last few years, but you could also make a case that the ACC has been just as tough, if not tougher for the majority of those 15 years. Regardless, they've been getting it done. If they weren't this game wouldn't be as big of a deal to us as it is.

Last edited:
Yes, I get that. My point was that it hasn't been all that easy for them in the past 15 years. The ACC has been down for the last few years, but you could also make a case that the ACC has been just as tough, if not tougher for the majority of those 15 years. Regardless, they've been getting it done. If they weren't this game wouldn't be as big of a deal to us as it is.

How has the ACC been just as tough? Take out Duke and UNC, what ACC teams within the past 15-20 years have been consistently good? MD in the early 2000s. Wake Forest in the mid to late 90s and then again in the 2000s. But the ACC has not held a candle to the Big East.

I feel kind of creepy doing it, but I'm going to be pulling for Duke tonight. It's better for us big picture if they win, and I just can't stand Dixon, his antics and his brand of play.
My gut feeling is Duke pulls this one out.

I feel kind of creepy doing it, but I'm going to be pulling for Duke tonight. It's better for us big picture if they win, and I just can't stand Dixon, his antics and his brand of play.
My gut feeling is Duke pulls this one out.

I will start the game pulling for Duke as well . . . . . . but you know if Pitt starts crushing them that you'll enjoy it. For the record I don't think Duke can pull this one out. At home I'd give them the nod right now going in but on the road at the Pete I have to put my money on Pitt. I wouldn't be surprised to see K and Dixon have words either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom