Duke's home court is simply an unfair advantage | Syracusefan.com

Duke's home court is simply an unfair advantage

D

dfnj

For some strange reason I get a huge amount of joy anytime Duke loses. But this is especially the case when Duke loses a home game. Putting the fans within spitting distance of the opposing players just seems like a totally unfair advantage to me. The Duke fans are not known for their sportsmanship during basketball games.

That said, I am SOOOOOO looking forward to watching Duke play at Pittsburgh so Duke gets a STRONG taste of their own medicine!

At least our players have some experience with the Duke-like home court advantage from our years of playing at Pittsburgh. Thoughts?

Duke's home court is simply an unfair advantage

It's not an UNFAIR advantage if only because NO ONE said Syracuse or any other school for that matter can't create a similar set up.

If you asked me, the powers that be at Syracuse are morons for not putting our students as close to the court as possible - all the way around the perimeter.

Sure, you'd piss off a bunch of blue-hair season ticket holders... But you'd also create an advantage... A big one..

Back to your point... Is Duke's arrangement an advantage? Without question, Yes.

Is it unfair? Absolutely not.

It's not an UNFAIR advantage if only because NO ONE said Syracuse or any other school for that matter can't create a similar set up.

If you asked me, the powers that be at Syracuse are morons for not putting our students as close to the court as possible - all the way around the perimeter.

Sure, you'd LOSE a bunch of blue-hair season ticket holders...AND THEIR $$ But you'd also create an advantage... A big one..

Back to your point... Is Duke's arrangement an advantage? Without question, Yes.

Fixed

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

Can't do it because of fire codes or something. Anyway, I'd much rather have 30k than 10k no matter how close the latter is to the court.

Sure, you'd piss off a bunch of blue-hair season ticket holders... But you'd also create an advantage... A big one..
I am beginning to resent these incessant "blue-hair season ticket holders" posts.

Bees, Tomcat, Jake, Cherie, TOL22, I ... and countless other folks you know here on the board... are all season ticket-holders. None of us have blue hair. And I know dozens of other season ticket-holders... and none of them have blue hair either. By and large, season ticket holders have supported the program, though thick and thin, over several decades. And we cheer as loudly as any students at the game.

This isn't 1990, SU seems to be getting a 3rd of the kids they had then going to games. Surrounding the court 12 deep divided by a moat ain't scaring anyone

Putting the fans within spitting distance of the opposing players just seems like a totally unfair advantage to me.
One of the benefits of playing in a glorified high school gym.

Was fortunate enough to attend a UNC/Duke game at Cameron Indoor Stadium when I was an undergrad at UNC. I despise the Dookies, but that atmosphere is very unique and rowdy for big-time games. Cameron is old, hot, and small, but I can't blame the Dookies for loving that place. I've also attended games at SU and spent four years in college attending games in the Dean Dome at UNC, and I can definitely see the pros and cons of each place. I guess its all about what you get accustomed to seeing/doing as a fan.

I am beginning to resent these incessant "blue-hair season ticket holders" posts.

Bees, Tomcat, Jake, Cherie, TOL22, I ... and countless other folks you know here on the board... are all season ticket-holders. None of us have blue hair. And I know dozens of other season ticket-holders... and none of them have blue hair either. By and large, season ticket holders have supported the program, though thick and thin, over several decades. And we cheer as loudly as any students at the game.

Hear hear, CTO! Thank you for speaking up for us. I myself have luscious golden tresses that I got the summer of '69 when I poured Summer Blond all over them.

For some strange reason I get a huge amount of joy anytime Duke loses. But this is especially the case when Duke loses a home game. Putting the fans within spitting distance of the opposing players just seems like a totally unfair advantage to me. The Duke fans are not known for their sportsmanship during basketball games.

That said, I am SOOOOOO looking forward to watching Duke play at Pittsburgh so Duke gets a STRONG taste of their own medicine!

At least our players have some experience with the Duke-like home court advantage from our years of playing at Pittsburgh. Thoughts?
Cameron is the best place I have ever seen a basketball game.
Pitt - or any other away venue - is not going to scare Duke.
It's not much smaller than UVA or NC State and not as small as Littlejohn (Clemson).
Duke is detested every place they play.
You've got to beat them on the court.

Now how about a real issue: When are we going to insist that Clemson stop wearing orange?!!?

What a ridiculous post. Why is it good for the loudest fans to be as far away from the action as possible?

If Rutgers ever got a good team, the RAC would be top 10, I love when SU plays there
Agreed...I went to a game there and it almost makes me wish we played a game or too at Manley every year. I know, I know, we never would because of the lost revenue. Just sayin

bert-and-ernie-reaction.gif

This isn't 1990, SU seems to be getting a 3rd of the kids they had then going to games. Surrounding the court 12 deep divided by a moat ain't scaring anyone

Ha. So true. I don't get the whole fire code thing and why there still has to be THAT much space. Ridiculous. I haven't been to Duke but have been to Pitt twice and once to Stillwater, getting lucky to see the Cowboys when passing through town. There is no comparison between those two atmospheres and the Dome. Noise, gameday atmosphere, in game activities at those places trump the Dome. A person I trust was visiting for the first time for the Georgetown debacle last season at the Dome. He works in media and went to college and games in ACC country. He likes Syracuse and has never had any agenda. FWIW, he was disappointed and surprised that the Dome wasn't louder (we sucked, I know) and wasn't a better experience.

Ha. So true. I don't get the whole fire code thing and why there still has to be THAT much space. Ridiculous. I haven't been to Duke but have been to Pitt twice and once to Stillwater, getting lucky to see the Cowboys when passing through town. There is no comparison between those two atmospheres and the Dome. Noise, gameday atmosphere, in game activities at those places trump the Dome. A person I trust was visiting for the first time for the Georgetown debacle last season at the Dome. He works in media and went to college and games in ACC country. He likes Syracuse and has never had any agenda. FWIW, he was disappointed and surprised that the Dome wasn't louder (we sucked, I know) and wasn't a better experience.

Here's my suggestion. Put the benches on the opposite side. Put the student section 3 feet away from court the whole length of the court. We really need to step up our game for the ACC. If we had a full length student section it would be just like Duke with jumping students the whole time the opposing team is on offense. Why would the powers that be NOT do this??? This would clearly improve the home court advantage for the Orange. And winning is the BEST way to improve the value of the brand. This is a business. Time to stop fooling around with the shareholder value and get serious. SU has to compete at whole new level.

I can't disagree with your argument.

Because they get thousands a ticket for courtside seats thats why. The dollar will win everytime.

That's my point. Dollars are important. Winning is the BEST way to improve the value of the brand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom