Dumbest team in memory | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dumbest team in memory

I don’t see lazy at all. Just not good
Agree although there were cases that lack of focus really cost us. Girard had a couple head-scratcher moments where he just stood still. I think his mind took a trip to the Bahamas.

One time it gave VT an open transition three when we were up by 11. It was the beginning of the end.

Another time he handed off to Hughes and just stood there, blocking what would have been a nice open lane to the basket.

Agree although there were cases that lack of focus really cost us. Girard had a couple head-scratcher moments where he just stood still. I think his mind took a trip to the Bahamas.

One time it gave VT an open transition three when we were up by 11. It was the beginning of the end.

Another time he handed off to Hughes and just stood there, blocking what would have been a nice open lane to the basket.
Exhausted

I couldn't agree more with sentence 1. I mean, 8 points on 2 shots is epic stuff. But what strategy did it change? I don't disagree it possibly took the wind out of the sails but the strategy with that much time left is still to get clean, efficient looks on O and make things difficult on D, right? Or were we going to go into stall ball with 6 minutes left?
Strategy in the sense of time and score going down the stretch. Down 1 is a big difference then down 3 in late game situations.

Dumbest play of the game was Marek giving that give away foul on a mini break out by Va Tech.he grabbed the guy to stop the bucket - he is too valuable for us to be giving away fouls. He will earn plenty on his own.

The other dumb plays IMHO are Hughes trying to draw contact on everything. Reminds me of Oshae light. Take the ball to the rim with authority and the calls will come or else JB isn't doing his job which is to make the whistles even.

After watching other teams play, JB should donate his salary to charity. Can’t believe how bad this team is, This man has been in the game for a long time. Is he doing this intentionally?

So far, I don't like the odds of this team winning close games down the stretch, and JB's teams don't specialize in killer instinct.

If we won the last two and were sitting with only 5 losses, I would of said we turned a corner. IMO, we could of.

Not dumb just limited and overexposed.
Fraschilla nailed it during the Okie St. game.

He said (paraphrasing) that this was not a vintage Syracuse team in terms of talent. I remember the comment startled me because, despite the fact that it came out rather innocuously, it was a really damning comment.

For an announcer to say that, it cannot just be a matter of the talent/athleticism level being slightly below par compared to his other teams, it has to be significantly below...

Turns out he was dead on.

I don't see dumb or lazy with this team either.

The reality is, basketball is a lot harder when you don't have a single player that can get a bucket inside of the free throw line. That will make a lot of teams look "dumb". They're fatally flawed offensively and they're not going to make it up at the defensive end.

I don't see dumb or lazy with this team either.

The reality is, basketball is a lot harder when you don't have a single player that can get a bucket inside of the free throw line. That will make a lot of teams look "dumb". They're fatally flawed offensively and they're not going to make it up at the defensive end.
They are also flawed coaching wise.

But knee jerk comments like this team is dumb and lazy mirror those very descriptions.
And are dckish.

Agree 1000%

To simplify the language so the OP can comprehend, calling the team dumb and lazy is dumb and lazy. And you're being a dck.

What a ridiculous thread to start.

They’re just not very good. I don’t see dumb or lazy out there
I will bet that the number of times have we fouled the 3 point shooter is greater than the loose balls we have won.

Girard can be foolish at times. Nobody should be taking shots from 28 or 30 feet or whatever, unless it's an absolute game saving/winning desperation shot. The chances of making those decrease exponentially the further out you go, obviously. He'll adjust. I do like how great and smooth he is at making mid-range jumpers from everywhere - which few people have talked about here so far.

They’re just not very good. I don’t see dumb or lazy out there
Last game the team fouled 3-point shooters 3 times. SU possibly leads the nation in fouling 3-point shooters. That is dumb. But I agree with you in that is maybe because the players just aren't very good. When you are out of position and slow you end up throwing your body at shooters.

Dumbest play of the game was Marek giving that give away foul on a mini break out by Va Tech.he grabbed the guy to stop the bucket - he is too valuable for us to be giving away fouls. He will earn plenty on his own.

The other dumb plays IMHO are Hughes trying to draw contact on everything. Reminds me of Oshae light. Take the ball to the rim with authority and the calls will come or else JB isn't doing his job which is to make the whistles even.
Not even close to the dumbest play of the game. How about Sidibe getting the ball at the foul line and driving to the hoop. This is a guy that is scared to try and score when he gets a rebound under the hoop.

I think Girard will be downright good as an upperclassman. I think Buddy is doing the best he can but lacks the size and athleticism needed from a SG. Neither is basketball dumb nor lazy. Marek is maybe the smartest player and definitely not lazy, but also physically limited. Eli is a boss. I’m going to miss him after he goes in the first round this year. Guerrier might be basketball dumb, but he tries. Sidibe is unfortunate to have grown as tall as he is. He’d probably be a good soccer player or something, if he was a little shorter.

The talent is poop. We’re all used to our crappiest player being a top 75 recruit. Our crappiest players are just worse than that now. We’re also used to our best players being top 25 recruits. They’re not that anymore.

So I just graduated college a few years ago (yay for me) and when I was younger and at the same age level as these kids on the team I would genuinely get pissed at them. Now, being older then them I just can’t get personally upset with the players because it’s just weird to me. So I guess I’m saying that calling them dumb and lazy just doesn’t seem right to me anymore as they are young adults playing a game of basketball. Don’t get me wrong I get upset, but not quite to the terms I used too. I suggest the OP do the same? Maybe? Idk.

So I just graduated college a few years ago (yay for me) and when I was younger and at the same age level as these kids on the team I would genuinely get pissed at them. Now, being older then them I just can’t get personally upset with the players because it’s just weird to me. So I guess I’m saying that calling them dumb and lazy just doesn’t seem right to me anymore as they are young adults playing a game of basketball. Don’t get me wrong I get upset, but not quite to the terms I used too. I suggest the OP do the same? Maybe? Idk.
I used to get upset as well. Then I remembered these are kids playing a game. And none of them will ever impact my actual life. Hope for the best and look for improvement is about all I need now.

But I’ll likely still complain about the coach and any lack of effort.

I think a lot of fans here have had a similar experience. That said, calling the players dumb or lazy can be a valid criticism, even from the olds.

My line happened to be the personal insults. As a high school/college kid, I said things about Scoop Jardine and his family that would get me a perma-ban if I repeated them. I don’t say crap like that anymore, but it is possible to be harshly critical of these kid-adults without being unfair.

I think a lot of fans here have had a similar experience. That said, calling the players dumb or lazy can be a valid criticism, even from the olds.

My line happened to be the personal insults. As a high school/college kid, I said things about Scoop Jardine and his family that would get me a perma-ban if I repeated them. I don’t say crap like that anymore, but it is possible to be harshly critical of these kid-adults without being unfair.
If you call an 18-22 year old dumb because of a basketball game though? Lol. Like just think about that. Maybe the word “undisciplined” is what we are looking for (and no I’m not the PR police here I actually like calling people for what they are) like I get it those thoughts come to our heads but maybe they should stay there. My lord what people on this fan board would’ve said about me if they saw some of my life performances when I was in college.

And I totally understand you, I said things in my younger years that I would never say anymore as well. Wisdom maybe?

If you call an 18-22 year old dumb because of a basketball game though? Lol. Like just think about that. Maybe the word “undisciplined” is what we are looking for (and no I’m not the PR police here I actually like calling people for what they are) like I get it those thoughts come to our heads but maybe they should stay there. My lord what people on this fan board would’ve said about me if they saw some of my life performances when I was in college.

And I totally understand you, I said things in my younger years that I would never say anymore as well. Wisdom maybe?

In the context of this thread, I interpreted ‘dumb’ to mean the players don’t understand what they need to do to win basketball games. I disagree, in the sense that I don’t think they don’t understand what to do, they are just physically incapable of doing it. “Dumb”can be a fair criticism. In fact, I wish these guys were just dumb. Contrary to popular belief, you can fix dumb. What you can’t do is teach a person to be athletic enough to put their nuts on top of the backboard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom