Dune Pt2 | Syracusefan.com

Dune Pt2

GoSU96

Living Legend
Visually great movie. If you know nothing about the dune story other than the pt1. It’s a continuation. Really do recommend it.

If you are coming at it from knowing the books it leaves a lot to be desired, not so much what was left out, other than a couple of lines , but in alterations and actions in what was left in.

As a piece of cinema, top notch.

I’m a big fan of the first four books. I went to see part 1 and part 2 in an IMAX theatre. I thought that both we great movie - powerful, beautiful, well crafted with some outstanding performances.

I knew that there was no way they could recreate the first book in its entirety. It was just too dense with characters, storylines, and world building to capture it in two movies. Similar to LOTR they had to choose how to represent the author’s creation in a way that is respectful and not reductive.

Both movies exceeded my expectations.

Saw both movies this week. I have not read the books. I thought it was good. I’m sort of impressed with myself that I think I’m following everything! The filmmaking itself is pretty mind blowing. There was not a moment in either of them that appeared fake looking which is doggone impressive!

Also is it weird that the scariest character is an unborn fetus?? Yikes!

Saw part 2, last night. I'm in the minority. Visually appealing, but bad story telling. Terrible character developement. Long, plodding, and a complete bore - minus a couple scenes. I had zero investment in any one, or the story, and was begging for it to end. It was soooo bad, that I'm still angry I wasted my time.

While I understand that some enjoyed it, its completely baffling to me. There are many reviews where people walked out, fell asleep, or call it one of the worst movies they've ever seen. I LOVE sci fi, and enjoyed part 1.

This movie looks great, its just completely lacking in anything else that makes a movie good. Like a well told story, or characters you love or hate(or even give a cr@p about). Actors say lines. Stuff happens. The worms are cool. The end.

Saw part 2, last night. I'm in the minority. Visually appealing, but bad story telling. Terrible character developement. Long, plodding, and a complete bore - minus a couple scenes. I had zero investment in any one, or the story, and was begging for it to end. It was soooo bad, that I'm still angry I wasted my time.

While I understand that some enjoyed it, its completely baffling to me. There are many reviews where people walked out, fell asleep, or call it one of the worst movies they've ever seen. I LOVE sci fi, and enjoyed part 1.

This movie looks great, its just completely lacking in anything else that makes a movie good. Like a well told story, or characters you love or hate(or even give a cr@p about). Actors say lines. Stuff happens. The worms are cool. The end.

Just in case you haven't seen Denis' interview in Variety from earlier this year:

“Frankly, I hate dialogue,” the filmmaker told the publication. “Dialogue is for theatre and television. I don’t remember movies because of a good line, I remember movies because of a strong image. I’m not interested in dialogue at all. Pure image and sound, that is the power of cinema, but it is something not obvious when you watch movies today. Movies have been corrupted by television.”

I haven't seen Part 2 yet but this might explain some of your observations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom