Dungey invited to Bengals minicamp. Released by Bengals | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Dungey invited to Bengals minicamp. Released by Bengals

Would have been nice if on their last drive down 4 he had picked up that 4th and 2 where he came up 1/2 yard short. Would have kept a game winning drive alive at the Cincy 40.

Serious Q. Not comparing the two but based purely on arm strength alone, how would you compare Mac Jones To Dungey?

Jones all I have heard is his arm is weak, but watching this preseason it seems perfectly NFL adequate. Maybe 25th percentile on average but can zip it when needed. Is dungey worse than that?

I don’t think I can fairly judge that b/c I haven’t watched enough of Jones but I think arm strength is another thing that’s really important but overemphasized. As finwad said, I’ve seen a ton of guys in the NFL come in as backups in the regular season with garbage arms compared to ED. I don’t think ED has incredible arm strength for the NFL but he’s also doesn’t have terrible arm strength.

I’m a Bears fan, I have great insight as an armchair GM for these things. I’ve seen more terrible QB play from backups and guys with talent (grossman, cutler, trubisky - trubisky I don’t characterize as great talent btw). The Bears used to have a backup called Erik Kramer, I think after he left the bears he went to the bills and played a few games. Erik Kramer couldn’t throw the ball more than 15-20 yards, if the ball was out wide, anything beyond 15 was asking for trouble. But when playing well and with a good game plan he could nickel and dime a defense all game long. ED is maybe not the player Kramer was b/c I think Kramer’s QB IQ was very very high but I’ve watched at least 25 absolutely terrible backup QB’s start games for the Bears. ED is at least as good as any of them.

What’s my point? I’m not actually sure at this point. But I do know ED’s arm strength isn’t an issue, guys with weaker guys have gotten it done. ED is also not a starting QB but is a very capable 2nd or 3rd string guy. And there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I don’t think I can fairly judge that b/c I haven’t watched enough of Jones but I think arm strength is another thing that’s really important but overemphasized. As finwad said, I’ve seen a ton of guys in the NFL come in as backups in the regular season with garbage arms compared to ED. I don’t think ED has incredible arm strength for the NFL but he’s also doesn’t have terrible arm strength.

I’m a Bears fan, I have great insight as an armchair GM for these things. I’ve seen more terrible QB play from backups and guys with talent (grossman, cutler, trubisky - trubisky I don’t characterize as great talent btw). The Bears used to have a backup called Erik Kramer, I think after he left the bears he went to the bills and played a few games. Erik Kramer couldn’t throw the ball more than 15-20 yards, if the ball was out wide, anything beyond 15 was asking for trouble. But when playing well and with a good game plan he could nickel and dime a defense all game long. ED is maybe not the player Kramer was b/c I think Kramer’s QB IQ was very very high but I’ve watched at least 25 absolutely terrible backup QB’s start games for the Bears. ED is at least as good as any of them.

What’s my point? I’m not actually sure at this point. But I do know ED’s arm strength isn’t an issue, guys with weaker guys have gotten it done. ED is also not a starting QB but is a very capable 2nd or 3rd string guy. And there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that.
Everyone could use a good number two now and then

He was great here. He's not an NFL thrower and never had a chance to make that team. Some of the takes here are nuts.
I understand what your point is but I don’t think there is a significant difference between Shurnur and Dungey. In their experience, size, impact to their college team’s success - they’re really closely matched.
Yet Dungey is being treated as insurance for the insurance.
I just think he deserves more minutes.
The Bengals do not so it’s a moot point.

I treated like going to old timers day at Yankee Stadium. It was fun to watch him one more time. It did bring back a lot of good memories.

Who knows if Ryan was drafted by Bills what he would have done - he was never playing in New York.

Oh my lord!!

People STOP!!!

Again…leave the talent evaluating to the talent evaluators.

be happy Dungey got snaps!!!

it’s basically above his pay grade!!

everyone should be thrilled.

ridiculous

Dang it....

NFL rosters need to be down to 80 by Tuesday. Bengals start this morning by releasing 5 players, including former Syracuse QB Eric Dungey.

Folks, this was always the most likely outcome.
My wife is a CVC CCU nurse and she would often tell patients families where to go for food/drink etc, and as many of you know and have been there, I used to basically live at this one UES Irish pub, and if she liked the patients family she would tell them to go there and to ask the bartenders where I was, and then they would send them down to area of the bar where me and my friends would sit and we’d go out of our way to lift their spirits.

One time the patient was a father of guy who basically spent as much time in the NFL as Dungey. Again kids, nothing to be ashamed of, both were/are college all stars in their respective worlds to get that shot. Anyway, this kid was cool and pretty funny…and what he had, in a folder to hand out, was 10x12 glossy’s of him as a Giant, at center, ready to snap the ball to Kerry Collins in some long forgotten pre-season game. He had Kerry sign the photo (literally hundreds, said Kerry was a super cool dude and came to his house to do so) and then he would add his signature in person. It was pretty cool.

So my point is, Dungey should embrace this past month and however long he had a key to the Bengals facility. It was a far better achievement than anything he did at Cuse.

Hope he’s got in game photos…

My wife is a CVC CCU nurse and she would often tell patients families where to go for food/drink etc, and as many of you know and have been there, I used to basically live at this one UES Irish pub, and if she liked the patients family she would tell them to go there and to ask the bartenders where I was, and then they would send them down to area of the bar where me and my friends would sit and we’d go out of our way to lift their spirits.

One time the patient was a father of guy who basically spent as much time in the NFL as Dungey. Again kids, nothing to be ashamed of, both were/are college all stars in their respective worlds to get that shot. Anyway, this kid was cool and pretty funny…and what he had, in a folder to hand out, was 10x12 glossy’s of him as a Giant, at center, ready to snap the ball to Kerry Collins in some long forgotten pre-season game. He had Kerry sign the photo (literally hundreds, said Kerry was a super cool dude and came to his house to do so) and then he would add his signature in person. It was pretty cool.

So my point is, Dungey should embrace this past month and however long he had a key to the Bengals facility. It was a far better achievement than anything he did at Cuse.

Hope he’s got in game photos…
I’m still trying to get my head around the idea of you lifting someone’s spirits. :-0

Probably. Nothing wrong in hoping he stuck somewhere longer than just a camp arm. Super glad he got a few shots, and just maybe, he can get another one.
Wouldn't surprise me if he makes practice squad.

Which, for a guy two years removed from his last college game with not a whole lot of football in between, that's pretty good!

I understand what your point is but I don’t think there is a significant difference between Shurnur and Dungey. In their experience, size, impact to their college team’s success - they’re really closely matched.
Yet Dungey is being treated as insurance for the insurance.
I just think he deserves more minutes.
The Bengals do not so it’s a moot point.

The big difference is, his dad, Pat Shurmur has 20+ years of NFL coaching experience. Its a big fraternity. I'd be shocked if it didn't play into it when looking for a 3rd string/Practice squad QB.

Wouldn't surprise me if he makes practice squad.

Which, for a guy two years removed from his last college game with not a whole lot of football in between, that's pretty good!

Practice squad salary is $9200 a week so it's not the worst gig in the world. I'd do it, if the NFL wanted guys in wheelchairs.