Dunkirk | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dunkirk

Saw it today. Was good but upon first viewing I wouldn't call it great. I agree that some of the shots made the beach look very sparse. The sound from the Stukas was awesome and terrifying just like I have read was the case. I found it confusing at points as to what time it was. That sounds nutty if you haven't seen it, but hopefully those who have know what I mean. It didn't make a huge difference except in one detail in which I was unsure of the identity of one character because of the time shifting. Would be a mild spoiler so I won't say more.

It was definitely suspenseful but I found the incessant ticking clock sound to be a little ham handed, especially for a filmmaker of the skill of Nolan.

where was the ticking?

It was nearly continuous throughout the movie! I thought I was watching 60 minutes! You didn't notice it?

Fascinating. I guess it has more of a subliminal effect than I thought. It was very noticeable to me throughout.

he did some really strange stuff with the music to force affects that were not normal, that i did hear. it was an attempt to make you uneasy so simulate the state that war leaves you in.

Upon thinking a little more about this movie, I wonder if wouldn't have been better suited to a Band of Brothers type miniseries where he could put a lot more meat on the bones of several of the small vignette type set pieces that the movie was composed of. For instance the foray to that beached troller and the target shooting Germans. I found that to be one of the more suspenseful little scenes, but when you think of the scale of this story and of a top tier summer release type feature film, it sort of seems out of place. Those 10 part miniseries are great for highlighting the small moments that make a huge story like this more digestible.

As to the ticking clock noise. I found that it was in fact part of the soundtrack. Listen to a bit of the clip below and you will know what I mean. It is a backing to a great deal of the soundtrack and is present during most of the movie. So it was Zimmer who did this. Normally my absolute favorite, but I was bugged by this sound constantly throughout the movie. Probably one of those things most don't notice, but once you do, you probably can't ignore it!

As to the ticking clock noise. I found that it was in fact part of the soundtrack. Listen to a bit of the clip below and you will know what I mean. It is a backing to a great deal of the soundtrack and is present during most of the movie. So it was Zimmer who did this. Normally my absolute favorite, but I was bugged by this sound constantly throughout the movie. Probably one of those things most don't notice, but once you do, you probably can't ignore it!

Never noticed it, myself.

I thought the movie was ok. I was looking forward to it, but left the theater a bit underwhelmed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom