Dwyane Wade Ad from Budweiser. (a must watch) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dwyane Wade Ad from Budweiser. (a must watch)

But 48% from the field overall, is.

Holy crap, I just looked up Rajon Rondo's stats...46% from the field, and 31.5% from 3.

Before anyone gets upset, no I am not saying that Rondo is anywhere near as good a player as Wade was.

Wade was a good defender in his prime; good enough to make a few All-Defense teams. Melo was never remotely close as a defender or creator for others. The latter is a big reason why Wade was able to carve out a significant role for himself his last few years; even when his scoring efficiency nosedived, he brought some value as a stabilizing force and as someone that could make the right pass to get his teammates a good look. When Melo's scoring efficiency nosedived, he was just an all-around liability on the court.

Yes, we agree.

Then why don't the stats support it? Wade had the better career, I'm not arguing he didn't, but the stats don't show a wide margin between the two players.

Melo averaged 2 more ppg on 2 more shots per game. Effectively equal.

Melo got more boards, Wade had more assists. A product of playing SG vs. SF/PF.

Turnovers blocks and steals net out to roughly no difference.

Almost equal usage. Wade has a higher WS (that's why I'm admitting he's better) but it's not by a wide margin.

The stats just don't support Wade being on a different tier than Melo.

Maybe it's not as wide of a margin - but it could be because of his playoff performances. Sure, he had LBJ and Bosh, but he also had one of the best finals performances EVER in '06. Carmelo had a great career but the overall point of "he scored a lot of points and not much else" isn't exactly wrong

Holy crap, I just looked up Rajon Rondo's stats...46% from the field, and 31.5% from 3.

Before anyone gets upset, no I am not saying that Rondo is anywhere near as good a player as Wade was.
Crazy. But what really matters is volume. Yeah wade was never a great shooter but he never really shot THAT much. As a counter example- and I have heated debates with friends about this- is Russ Westbrook. He’s having an all time bad shooting year, because he’s shooting under 30% (across entire season, game game varies obviously) from three but also shooting MANY. Big difference.

Maybe it's not as wide of a margin - but it could be because of his playoff performances. Sure, he had LBJ and Bosh, but he also had one of the best finals performances EVER in '06. Carmelo had a great career but the overall point of "he scored a lot of points and not much else" isn't exactly wrong

The thing about playoff stats is you have to get there. Melo rarely got there. When you look at the supporting cast differences, it's easy to see why.

The thing about playoff stats is you have to get there. Melo rarely got there. When you look at the supporting cast differences, it's easy to see why.

Absolutely. Both were fantastic players and Wade was lucky enough to be in a position to get both LBJ and Bosh in 2011. Carmelo had a chance in 2014 but he was never walking away from all that money in NY

Carmelo Anthony: Charity Work & Causes - Look to the Stars
About Us - Carmelo Anthony Foundation
Programs - Carmelo Anthony Foundation

Some players or the recipient organizations are way more public promoting good works but you are so wrong about Melo not doing much else . I know but it doesn’t fit the cool, negativity so popular here though. In addition to the numerous charitable programs from the links above but name other former stars who donated 3 million dollars to a university they attended for one year? People here are crazy. Kudos to Dwayne Wade but you should be embarrassed to use it as a platform to rip on Melo - just shows some of the mentalities too pervasive here.

I had no knowledge of nor interest in the Carmelo Anthony Foundation before seeing these posts.
So, I thought I'd go to Charity Navigator and take a very quick look at the latest available 990 (federally required financial disclosure filing for tax-exempt organizations).
It covers 2016 and was filed 11/1/2017.
(For some reason the foundation states its tax year runs only from 7/20/16 to 12/31/16).

It appears the foundation doesn't do very much.
It looks like the biggest project it undertook was a weekend in Puerto Rico where it spent about 70% of its revenue ($295K of $426K) on behalf of VERY few people.
A suspicious mind might think that looks more like a junket.

You can see it for yourself on Charity Navigator but here's the language in the foundations own words direct from the filing:

THE CARMELO ANTHONY FOUNDATION, INC. LAUNCHED A VERY MELO WEEKEND
IN PUERTO RICO ON SEPTEMBER 9-11, 2016. THIS EVENT'S PURPOSE IS TO
RAISE MONEY FOR THE CHILDREN AND ADOLESCENTS WHO ARE LIVING IN
UNDERSERVED COMMUNITIES. THE EVENT ACTIVITIES INCLUDED GOLF
TOURNAMENT, POOL PARTY, SOCCER MATCH, UNVEILING A NEW REFURBISHED
BASKETBALL COURT. 75 PEOPLE ATTENDED THE GOLF TOURNAMENT; 45
PEOPLE REGISTERED THE POOL PARTY; 30 KIDS PLAYED BASKETBALL AT THE
NEW BASKETBALL COURT AND ABOUT 50 PEOPLE CAME TO WATCH THE KIDS
PLAY. THESE EVENTS PROVIDED THE LOCAL COMMUNITY WITH ENHANCED
OPPORTUNITIES FOR RECREATION, EXERCISE AND SOCIAL INTERACTION

I had no knowledge of nor interest in the Carmelo Anthony Foundation before seeing these posts.
So, I thought I'd go to Charity Navigator and take a very quick look at the latest available 990 (federally required financial disclosure filing for tax-exempt organizations).
It covers 2016 and was filed 11/1/2017.
(For some reason the foundation states its tax year runs only from 7/20/16 to 12/31/16).

It appears the foundation doesn't do very much.
It looks like the biggest project it undertook was a weekend in Puerto Rico where it spent about 70% of its revenue ($295K of $426K) on behalf of VERY few people.
A suspicious mind might think that looks more like a junket.

You can see it for yourself on Charity Navigator but here's the language in the foundations own words direct from the filing:

THE CARMELO ANTHONY FOUNDATION, INC. LAUNCHED A VERY MELO WEEKEND
IN PUERTO RICO ON SEPTEMBER 9-11, 2016. THIS EVENT'S PURPOSE IS TO
RAISE MONEY FOR THE CHILDREN AND ADOLESCENTS WHO ARE LIVING IN
UNDERSERVED COMMUNITIES. THE EVENT ACTIVITIES INCLUDED GOLF
TOURNAMENT, POOL PARTY, SOCCER MATCH, UNVEILING A NEW REFURBISHED
BASKETBALL COURT. 75 PEOPLE ATTENDED THE GOLF TOURNAMENT; 45
PEOPLE REGISTERED THE POOL PARTY; 30 KIDS PLAYED BASKETBALL AT THE
NEW BASKETBALL COURT AND ABOUT 50 PEOPLE CAME TO WATCH THE KIDS
PLAY. THESE EVENTS PROVIDED THE LOCAL COMMUNITY WITH ENHANCED
OPPORTUNITIES FOR RECREATION, EXERCISE AND SOCIAL INTERACTION

I don’t follow that thing at all. Whether it’s through the foundation or his own pocket I don’t know. But I remember a number of things he’s done and I probably don’t know all of it.

He donated almost $2m to build a youth community center in Baltimore and contributed to other youth centers.

He donated 100’s of thousands to hurricane relief including Sandy and a hurricane in Puerto Rico.

He has built basketball courts around the country in under privileged areas including Puerto Rico which I saw myself on a visit to PR.

We all know of his contributions to SU and I believe he remains as the #1 yearly donor to SU.

He does charity youth camps called Camp Melo.

He’s done aid to Flint Michigan.

He’s done academic programs in Baltimore and funded dozens of school projects.

Within the past 2-3 years he received an NBA award for his work and donations to youth and communities.

Etc, etc.

Last edited:
I don’t follow that thing at all. Whether it’s through the foundation or his own pocket I don’t know. But I remember a number of things he’s done and I probably don’t know all of it.

He donated almost $2m to build a youth community center in Baltimore and contributed to other youth centers.

He donated 100’s of thousands to hurricane relief including Sandy and a hurricane in Puerto Rico.

He has built basketball courts around the country in under privileged areas including Puerto Rico which I saw myself on a visit to PR.

We all know of his contributions to SU and I believe he remains as the #1 yearly donor to SU.

He does charity youth camps called Camp Melo.

He’s done aid to Flint a Michigan.

He’s done academic programs in Baltimore and funded dozens of school projects.

Within the past 2-3 years he received an NBA award for his work and donations to youth and communities.

Etc, etc.

Also did this:
He’s seemingly been more than generous with his money and his time.

I never ripped Melo but to put him on the same level as Wade when it comes to the NBA is ridiculous.

Can you please outline the total hours and dollars spent by the two so we can make an informed judgment about the ridiculousness of the comparison?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom