early outs | Syracusefan.com

early outs

I mean...seems like a nice chance to milk an agent for free for a lot of these guys.

What else are they gonna do over the summer?

are coming out of the woodwork--good thing there are five rounds of the draft.

Maybe they just don't like school and the NCAA system. They realized they are not going to make the NBA might as well declare.

Maybe they just don't like school and the NCAA system. They realized they are not going to make the NBA might as well declare.
I didn't like school either. I did it because I needed to secure my future. I doubt most of these guys are leaving because they expect to spend the next 10 yrs of their lives in europe. I hope a lot of them get good advice about their prospects and take advantage of the free school while they have it. I know most of these schools let guys come back to finish degrees, but it can be hard to get back in grind after you've been out for a while, and right now they have access to all of the tutors and support that the school provides to keep them eligible.

I didn't like school either. I did it because I needed to secure my future. I doubt most of these guys are leaving because they expect to spend the next 10 yrs of their lives in europe. I hope a lot of them get good advice about their prospects and take advantage of the free school while they have it. I know most of these schools let guys come back to finish degrees, but it can be hard to get back in grind after you've been out for a while, and right now they have access to all of the tutors and support that the school provides to keep them eligible.
Much of what seems true but you know what? Sometimes being out of school for a while, maturing, doesn't make it so much of a grind to go back, especially if school is paid for and you have enough to live on. Sometimes you finally decide what you want and without a lot of financial worries and pressure to perform, school ain't so bad.

Much of what seems true but you know what? Sometimes being out of school for a while, maturing, doesn't make it so much of a grind to go back, especially if school is paid for and you have enough to live on. Sometimes you finally decide what you want and without a lot of financial worries and pressure to perform, school ain't so bad.
That's true. I would be interested to see the numbers regarding the percentage of guys that finish their degree.

Sadly many players who leave early only want the degree and find the time to pursue it after they realize that all their options and money has run out and they have basic obligations that they can’t meet after basketball. When they come back from overseas they realize that they can’t be an assistant coach, even a grad assistant without a degree - less a head coach at even a high school and are ‘old news’ by then on the US basketball scene. They usually have kids, families etc and must move with or without them to even pursue that degree at their ‘alma mater’ - not an easy transition. Some colleges are great like SU helping former players, others programs have gone through multiple coaches, multiple AD’s, admins etc lacking any basic connection to former players. What a kid of 20 cares, worries about - can differ greatly from what a man of 35 cares and has to worry about.

I would be careful about shaming the KIDS who are leaving, when it is the ADULTS that are actively recruiting kids who really have no interest in school. If those adults were there to bring a "gift" to the kids that would be great. But many coaches will just encourage the lack of interest an education, and try to just get them by... not for their education but so they can play ball.

And we act surprised when those kids leave?

Last edited:
I would be careful about shaming the KIDS who are leaving, when it is the ADULTS that are actively recruiting kids who really have no interest in school. If those adults were there to bring a "gift" to the kids that would be great. But many coaches will just encourage the lack of interest an education, and try to just get them by... not for their education but so they can play ball.

And we act surprised when those kids leave?
I think the transition from 30 years ago when it was rare that a player left early to today when players that have no chance to get drafted leave early is less on the coaches and more on the players and their handlers. Most coaches have lamented the trend of players leaving early, but since many of these kids have been told by everyone in their circle the world revolves around them since they 8 years old, they can't fathom that they could fail at basketball and may need other options.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom